#1 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

MAJOR SPOILERS: Action sequence details, 300 extras cast, set construction and much more

Bond crew expected to arrive for filming on 31 March

'Quantum' chase sequence with Aston Martin, memorabilia show with Dan Bradley...

Filming will soon take place at Carrera; press conference on 5 May

Action sequence involving the Aston Martin and the quarries

James Bond arriving by water and more of the Aston Martin chase

Hello!
I just found this old article from La Reppublica (an Italian newspaper). It dates back August 2007, BUT there are details about the chase in Siena that might have slipped our minds. Here is the most interesting paragraph (English translation below):

[quote]La fuga iniziale di Bond parte dalle cave di marmo di Carrara per proseguire nei vicoli di Siena prima a bordo di una Aston Martin, poi a piedi, con una serie di acrobazie fra i tetti. Ma quando si

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

I just found some new informations: Carrara really seems to be a QoS location, according to some recent Italian sites:

[quote]Lo staff di produzione (Mestiere Cinema del veneziano Guido Cerasuolo) ha voluto curare in modo particolare i rapporti con le realt

#3 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

It's not breaking news, but it helps make sense of all the things we've heard (how, precisely, the rooftop chase and car chase are connected).

#4 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for this, Harmsway!

About Siena, here is another recent article (undated, but with mention of the QoS title), with many details about the exact locations in Siena.

[quote]Le riprese, che si concentreranno nei primi giorni di aprile, verranno precedute da faraonici allestimenti in Salicotto. Sono previste alcune rocambolesche scene di inseguimenti sui tetti antichi della citt

Edited by MkB, 03 February 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#5 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

This is all very interesting, thanks for posting, and helpful in our attempts to piece together how the movie will open. I'll try and cobble together some sort of translation of the key parts if I have a moment later this evening.

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Vauxhaull! Translating is always time-consuming, I appreciate your help :tup:

#7 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:56 AM

This is the translation I have come up with of the most recent article posted:
[box]The filming, focussed upon the start of April, will be preceded by enormous preparations in Salicotto. Some extraordinary chase scenes across the ancient rooftops of the city are expected. The ten condominiums between Rialto and Vicolo dell

#8 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Nice work Vauxhall! :tup:

Here is the translation of the most recent article about the marble quarries in Carrara (posted just before the one translated by Vauxhall)

CARRARA. No kidding. On November 14th, the latest 007 film, titled "Quantum of Solace" (which translates in Italian "Sospiro di Sollievo"), will hit the silver screen in Italy, with Daniel Craig as James Bond again. But above all, there will be scenes shot in the marble quarries of Carrara. The producer Guido Cerasuolo (Mestiere Cinema) confirms this, brushing aside the mistery about the Apua district location that "vanished" in ANSA (and in the coverage published in the newspaper "La Stampa") from the Lodon press conference of the 22nd episode of the saga of the world's most famous secret agent. Carrara will be the setting of the adventures of the fascinating Daniel Craig: "We agree with the mayor, we will begin shooting in April", confirms Cerasuolo.
[...]
But, it's a known fact, that during the London press conference it has been only question of Siena, and Carrara and its quarries haven't even been mentioned.
[...]
What about Carrara? According to Guido Cerasuolo (Mestiere cinema), who met several times the mayor Angelo Zubbani in the past months to examine the Italian locations of the film, there is no "question". Those scenes, that is the chase on the roads of the quarries, will be shot in Carrara.

(28 Jan. 2008)
http://www.cosmave.i...glio.php?id=937

Edited by MkB, 04 February 2008 - 11:43 AM.

#9 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

And here is the last translation. Interesting article for the many details about the car chase (one could certainly come up with a map, from these informations)

The production staff (Mestiere Cinema of the Venitian Guido Cerasuolo) wanted to handle with a particular care the relations with local facts, acting in a respectful manner toward the Tuscan sites. In a declaration to "Il Tirreno", on October 25th [2007], about the Carrara location, Cerasuolo said: "We will shoot very spectacular scenes, in a zone where people are working. For this, we want to have the maximum guaranties that everything is regular, given that we are entering into people's houses. With the mayor, Zubbani, we found a perfect interlocutor: he has already provided us with all the maps of the quarries that we'll need to prepare the chase for the best". The "Nazione di Carrara", in an article by Cristina Lorenzi in todays edition, gives details about the Apua district setting: from the Passo del Vestito to Altagnana, with a chase in the fascinating quarry of Fantiscritti, up to Ravaccione and the Tarnone station. "From the Miseglia tunnel - along the Nazionale road - Bond arrives directly in Siena"

(07 Dec. 2007)
http://www.intoscana...amp;language=it

#10 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Here is my try at mapping the Tuscan chase! It's a zipped KML file, to be used in GoogleEarth.
Enjoy!

Please, is it just that I didn't get the news (which is quite possible), or is this Carrara quarries location recent news?

Attached Files

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:04 PM

I'm looking forward to Craig getting behind the wheel in his first real car chase as Bond.

#12 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

One more bit of information: Ravaccione, Fantiscritti and Tarnone are set along the "Ferrovia Marmifera Privata di Carrara", a private XIXth industrial railway line (abandoned since 1964), which was used to convey marble from the quarries, on its 22km. This railway line, because of the difficult setting, has many impressive viaducts and long tunnels. Maybe the chase has some links with this line, apart from the quarries?

#13 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

One more bit of information: Ravaccione, Fantiscritti and Tarnone are set along the "Ferrovia Marmifera Privata di Carrara", a private XIXth industrial railway line (abandoned since 1964), which was used to convey marble from the quarries, on its 22km. This railway line, because of the difficult setting, has many impressive viaducts and long tunnels. Maybe the chase has some links with this line, apart from the quarries?

Nice info, MkB. Cheers :tup:

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

Bond's initial escape from the marble quarries of Carrara, then continues in the narrow streets of Siena, first riding an Aston Martin, then by feet, with a series of stunts on the rooftops.

I love the fact that the chase is different. Usually, Bond will chase someone then use the car to tail them. Quite interesting that it's the opposite way round, this time around.

It will be so cool to see Bond brake fast in his car then being pursued by the villain. :tup:

#15 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Yes MHarkin, indeed! Bond being chased would be a nice turn, and it would then make sense for him to search shelter in the MI6 safehouse in Siena (?).
But this article is the less recent (it dates back to last August), so it's not sure we can trust them about the details (who is chasing who)?

BTW, sorry for the mistake in my translation: I should have written something like "Bond initially escapes from" etc. (I did this quite in a hurry). Anyway, I guess you've got the meaning right :tup:

Edited by MkB, 04 February 2008 - 06:14 PM.

#16 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

Bond's initial escape from the marble quarries of Carrara, then continues in the narrow streets of Siena, first riding an Aston Martin, then by feet, with a series of stunts on the rooftops.

I love the fact that the chase is different. Usually, Bond will chase someone then use the car to tail them. Quite interesting that it's the opposite way round, this time around.

It will be so cool to see Bond brake fast in his car then being pursued by the villain. :tup:

That would be a very good sequence, to see Bond being chased instead of the other way around. But, for me, as long as any car chase that the film may contain doesn't have Bond rely on gadgets as his sole means of escape, then it should be a fairly good sequence.

#17 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Yeah...the Bond series is long overdue to set a good standard in car chases sans gadgets. I'd selfishly like to see a great chase that rivals the likes of the classics. Bullitt and all that. Hopefully, we'll get close here. It's also got the potential to be much more Fleming-like. A suspenseful chase over a long distance would be terrific.

<gets off Santa's lap> (Claus, not josep. :tup:)

#18 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:12 AM

I must say I'm looking foreward to this chase scene. The tunnels sound like a great location and the general idea of it ending up on foot from fast cars is great.

#19 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

Nice Kamran Shah!
It looks like most of the references to Basilicata date back to last summer. As they seemed to be interested in the same kind of sceneries as those chosen in the Carrara region (roads, impressive viaducts), my guess is that they considered and scouted both regions, and finally chose Carrara rather than the Basilicata.

But anyway, in the PDF article you gave us the URL, I found one more allusion to the initial chase, clearly supporting the hypothesis of 007 being chased in the PTS.

[box]la scena iniziale dell'inseguimento in cui l'agente del Mi6 dovr

Edited by MkB, 06 February 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#20 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

The initial chase scene, in which the MI6 agent has to run away from his enemies, driving his car at a crazy speed

Sounds cool. Craig did say that the DBS's biggest gadget was it's engine. :tup:

#21 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

Translation :
The initial chase scene, in which the MI6 agent has to run away from his enemies, driving his car at a crazy speed

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that this translation says that Bond runs away from - and not after - his enemies in this chase? Correct me if I'm wrong - but just about every speculation provided to date has had Bond chasing someone - possibly after the interrogation of White - and not being chased himself.

#22 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Yes, Ace Roberts, indeed!
Incidentally, aside from the locations informations, this is what we can learn from this news, it seems. There are two Italian articles alluding to Bond running away from his enemies. Yet, we must take into account that these articles are based on last summer's informations (one article was published in August 2007, the other in October 2007).
However, it seems to me that him taking shelter in the MI6 safehouse in Siena would perfectly tie in with his run away from his enemies in Carrara.

Edited by MkB, 06 February 2008 - 03:36 PM.

#23 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Translation :

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that this translation says that Bond runs away from - and not after - his enemies in this chase? Correct me if I'm wrong - but just about every speculation provided to date has had Bond chasing someone - possibly after the interrogation of White - and not being chased himself.

That is interesting, I do admit.

But then again, the best defense is a good offense. Especially in the Connery films it seemed like even though Bond was being tailed, he was still the aggressor. It may not be a frantic type of get away, but more of a

#24 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Today's news: a line concerning QoS in an article about a Tuscan film festival :
[box]Marc Forster girer

#25 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Mmmmh... Sea... Sea + Bond = speedboat chase, anyone? :tup: :tup:

I think it

Edited by Shrublands, 12 February 2008 - 04:46 PM.

#26 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

[quote name='Shrublands' post='837073' date='12 February 2008 - 17:45'][quote name='MkB' post='837069' date='12 February 2008 - 16:29']Mmmmh... Sea... Sea + Bond = speedboat chase, anyone? :tup: :tup:[/quote]

I think it

#27 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

[quote name='MkB' post='837085' date='12 February 2008 - 17:16'][quote name='Shrublands' post='837073' date='12 February 2008 - 17:45'][quote name='MkB' post='837069' date='12 February 2008 - 16:29']Mmmmh... Sea... Sea + Bond = speedboat chase, anyone? :tup: :tup:[/quote]

I think it

#28 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the precision Shrublands :tup: I'm not sure what it's worth, but I just found an tiny article that brings some credit to the hypothesis of a speedboat chase in Italy (Lago di Garda, in fact))! It doesn't seem to be available online at the moment, but there's stll something in Google ( http://209.85.135.10...lient=firefox-a )
[box]VENEZIA - Uno staff tutto veneziano per il prossimo film di James Bond. Sar

#29 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm doing a little bit of research at the moment, so I just found another article about the Carrara location, with very interesting bits concerning the chase. I won't copy/paste the full lenght original article here, as it's quite long, but you can read it in Italian here: http://www.assindust....php?arid=16884

The source is the La Nazione - Carrara (local newspaper), Dec. 6th 2007.
It states that, at the beginning of last December, the Italian production staff (directed by Guido Cerasuolo, who already worked on CR), signed the final agreement with the town of Carrara to use the city as a filming location.

In Carrara, QoS will be shot in two quarries, Fantiscritti and Canalgrande.

But here is the most interesting parts IMO, about the chase:

[box]Cos

Edited by MkB, 12 February 2008 - 07:12 PM.

#30 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

Great research work MkB! :tup: It sounds like we have our pre-title sequence then, and perhaps the Siena chase will come after the opening titles. Bond being chased by the police, eh? Sounds very cool.