This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Why don't you wait until you're asked? So why don't you ask me..

50 replies to this topic

#31 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

I love that scence.But the song and the backdrop that's played as the credits role kind of make me sad because i know it's the last time we'd see Dalton as bond and the last time we'd see bond for 6 years.

That's exactly how I used to feel, I was quite young when I saw the film, and was always sad at the point, knowing that was it for Bond, no more (how wrong I was). Also the part just after the explosion of Sanchez, the music that plays (also heard earlier in the film) really makes this scene, Daltons expression when the truck is coming towards him, only to then realize that it's Pam and the relief, you and Bond know it's finally over, he got his revenge, and it's now the end of an era.

#32 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:53 AM

I actually love that ending, but I don't like how Leiter's part in the story was wrapped up with a phone call.

I loved the ending as well, and I agree that the way in which they chose to wrap up Felix's part of the plotline wasn't that great, though. I think that the best way to have wrapped up Felix's part of the story would have been to keep the phone call, but make the overall tone of it fairly somber, with Bond saying encouraging him to recover quickly, and that he'd be dropping by to see how he's doing, and then have Bond go back to the party. The way that Felix was seemingly happy in his final scene didn't really make all that much sense, and was, IMO, the only real problem that I can find with the ending of LTK. The rest of it was quite good, with good performances from Dalton and Lowell, and the winking fish isn't all that bad either.

#33 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:19 AM

You know what, you're exactly right. I mean, what was I thinking? The woman he loved and married got raped and murdered on the wedding night, but for crying out loud, it had been a whole week!

That's like, a hundred years in Narnia, right?

Plenty of time for him to shrug it off. I mean, what kind of guy mourns the spouse that died because of his line of work for a hundred Narnian years?

Sir, I feel like I'm detecting some sarcasm coming from you.

Bond got over Tracy rather quickly. In fact, you can barely feel his anger towards Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever; he's very casual and relaxed, even when trying to kill Blofeld. And, at one point, Bond practically praises Blofeld's plan for world domination.

Bond got over Tracy rather quickly? I don't mean to be obtuse, but:

1) DAF took place two entire years after OHMSS, and Bond was still hunting Blofeld. Which tells me he's not quite "over" it all (and that's even assuming that they weren't trying to ignore the events of OHMSS, which they were)

2-a)The DAF film basically ignores the events of OHMSS in the first place. There's not one solid reference to the latter at all (save the DBS in the background at Q's lab). You could jump straight from YOLT to DAF and not miss a thing or have any reason to think that there was even a film in between.

2-b)DAF's lack of acknowledgement of Tracy's death rings just as falsely as LTK's :tup::):( ending. I'm glad you don't see a problem with that, but it really drags down the film's value for others of us here.

3)I'm gonna go out on a limb and guarantee that Bond will take much longer than a week to get over Vesper in QOS. Call it a hunch.

4)Fleming's Bond was still severely depressed and screwing up his job (nearly to the point of being fired) 8+ months after Tracy's murder in OHMSS. He *might* have tried to escape his depression through alcohol and sleeping around, but it was still severe, and Bond only really came alive again when the opportunity to kill Blofeld suddenly and unexpectedly arose.

Besides, Felix and Della weren't married but for a few hours. It's not like they'd been married 50 years and now his life-partner was gone.

:tup:

Surely you don't think they fell in love after getting married, do you?

As a happily married guy of nearly 5 years, I can promise that the grief would be utterly unthinkable if your wife had not only been murdered, but raped and murdered, on your very own wedding night. I couldn't even imagine, and don't want to try.
Couple that with the inevitable truth that any widower who actually loved his wife would doubtlessly feel responsible for her death had he been in Felix' (or Bond's, for that matter) shoes, as the one who was killed was innocent of the whole spy/drug game that led to the whole terrible event. I don't think I'm making an unfair assumption there, either. Sanchez let Felix live on purpose-- so that he'd always remember that night and the price he paid for standing up to Sanchez.

I'm just saying, the chipper ending was about as realistic as a paper umbrella. But it had to end on a :):):D note, because the producers knew that the legal problems were gonna put the release of the next film in jeopardy, and they didn't want loose ends. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate LTK by any means-- I just wish they'd been a little ballsier and delivered an ending that fit the circumstances of the story.

Of course, if you're just trying to get a rise out of me, well done-- I bought it completely.

I totally agree 0012. I've always hated how Felix looked so cheerful after all these horrible events. I think the producers may have forgotten about his dead wife by the time they filmed this scene. And the last lines and the winking fish are totally out of whack with the previous 90 odd minutes of LTK. Obviously a badly thought out ending to satisfy the kiddies.

#34 Mr.B

Mr.B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, I love the scene but the fish is creepy. To watch the last scene of every Bond actor always makes me sad. Especially in Moore's, Dalton's and Brosnan's case.

#35 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, I love the scene but the fish is creepy. To watch the last scene of every Bond actor always makes me sad. Especially in Moore's, Dalton's and Brosnan's case.

Brosnan's last scene as Bond is particularly depressing, because it's so [censored]ty (like the rest of that film).

#36 Mr.B

Mr.B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

Yes it is and it makes me even more sad. In the case of Brosnan it's just the knowledge that he won't return in this series. I really liked him, he just had to handle the bad Purvis/Wade scripts.

#37 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

I always figured Leiter was doped up on drugs.

#38 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

..., and a fantastic song to send the film out on (although "If You Asked Me To" should have, IMO, been the title track for the film).

I agree.

#39 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:47 AM

I'd much rather the films to end with a rousing rendition of the Bond theme, or an instrumental of the title song. I mean, these solo songs are occasionaly acceptable, but I'd rather have have it Bond through and through. Take the ending of GoldenEye for example. The 'Experience of Love' has basically nothing to do with Bond or the film.

#40 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

I think the winking fish is kind of cheesy, but I love the scene and I love Patti LaBelle's song. It's the perfect James Bond scene to watch on a hot summer night!

Agreed!

#41 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:46 AM

To watch the last scene of every Bond actor always makes me sad. Especially in Moore's, Dalton's and Brosnan's case.

Yeah, they all got crappy send-offs.

Dalton's in particularly is really dumb. After the grit of the film, we get this cheesy conclusion with Felix. Then we get something straight out of a chick flick: Bond leaps into a pool after a girl, says some cringeworthy romantic dialogue, has a stone fish wink at the camera, and then has one of the worst songs in franchise history close him out. Eesh.

#42 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

I actually feel that Dalton has the best send off out of the three mentioned. The other two finish with some of the worst lines I have ever heard in any film, whereas Dalton's lines are at least passable and put a smile on my face.

#43 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

I actually feel that Dalton has the best send off out of the three mentioned. The other two finish with some of the worst lines I have ever heard in any film, whereas Dalton's lines are at least passable and put a smile on my face.

Well, the AVTAK and DAD endings are at least in keeping with the film. When we get to Dalton's ending, it jars with what came before and stands out as being particularly offensive.

#44 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:06 AM

Dalton's in particularly is really dumb. After the grit of the film, we get this cheesy conclusion with Felix. Then we get something straight out of a chick flick: Bond leaps into a pool after a girl, says some cringeworthy romantic dialogue, has a stone fish wink at the camera, and then has one of the worst songs in franchise history close him out. Eesh.

Just pretend GoldenEye is Dalton's send off, and you'll be just okely-dokely... :tup:

#45 Mr. Osato

Mr. Osato

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:06 AM

What exactly is the lavish event that that takes place at the end of LTK?

Is it a "Farewell Villian" cocktail hour?

And a Bond film ending with both girls "intact" & in the same buffet line? This is surely one of the strangest conclusions in the series.

For as dark as Dalton played the role -- he got quite the sunny send-off.

#46 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

What exactly is the lavish event that that takes place at the end of LTK?

Is it a "Farewell Villian" cocktail hour?

And a Bond film ending with both girls "intact" & in the same buffet line? This is surely one of the strangest conclusions in the series.

For as dark as Dalton played the role -- he got quite the sunny send-off.

Chalk it down to Cubby Broccoli (and possibly John Glen) not wanting to get away from the formula too much despite the attempt that is the previosu majority of the film (LTK).

#47 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

I think they knew that the financial future of EON and UA was in jeopardy, and couldn't be sure that the next James Bond adventure was right around the corner as usual. It had the "birds & butterfies" ending b/c it was possibly the last Bond film for a while, and they didn't want to leave on a grim note. Too bad for the fans that wanted some more realism and, well, consistent tone, but most viewers couldn't have cared less about whether the ending was Flemingesque or not.

#48 Piz Gloria 1969

Piz Gloria 1969

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

C'mon the man nearly died of violent torture....wouldn't YOU be happy if you went thru a similar ordeal and actually lived thru it :tup:

#49 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

I'd be elated. Then I'd remember that oh yeah, my new bride's dead, and only is so because of my job. Then I wouldn't be elated anymore. :tup:

#50 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

I liked the end credits songs to both of Dalton's movies - they certainly don't have the Bond 'sound', but they're nice little 80s tunes that fill me with nostalgia.

Off Topic: Best end to any Bond movie = CR.

#51 Marc-Ange Draco

Marc-Ange Draco

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:02 AM

The first time I saw the winking fish, I thought it was kind of creepy...but then again, I went out and bought the DVD (for...gasp...$35) the next day, so it didn't scar me too much.

OT continued: No, I've got to make the call for OHMSS having the best ending.