• 9173 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:38 AM

Oops

No, don't fret, now we've got the title song: :tup:

DOMINIC GREENE!

(Bah-bam-bam-buh!)

He's the man,
The man with the oily touch...

(Bah-dah-bah-dah-bum, bah-dah-bah-dah-bum!)

A SPOILY TOUCH!

:tup:

#122 JWM Tanner

JWM Tanner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

It could be oli sand.
And it sounds crazy but there are reasons to beleve that this natural product could save our natural recourses like oil and gas.

Shell does a researchprogram in Canada about it.
They digg tar sand out of the ground and trough a magical proces it turns into pure clear oil.

Sources: questmagazine.nl
wikipedia.org

Edited by JWM Tanner, 19 February 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#123 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

If it is salt, they should film something at the salt lake beds of the Altiplano. I can't think of a more surreal exotic local. There is nothing like it anywhere else. If you want to see some good pictures, do a search for Art Wolfe altiplano pictures.

Josh

#124 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

Its marble. Theyve been filming in a "marble mine" in Italy. Or is that common knowledge?

If not, I would like to take the credit: MARBLE!

#125 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

It's a marble quarry they're filming at in Italy but I believe that is simply being used for a car chase of sorts.

#126 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

Damn! A friend of a friend is working in the art department for QOS, I thought I had a scoop there!

#127 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:08 AM

Damn! A friend of a friend is working in the art department for QOS, I thought I had a scoop there!

Ah sorry to disappoint! Perhaps he'll be able to sneak you some more exclusive information though!

#128 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

I would like to go on record as saying I think it

#129 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

Investing in U.S. Natural Resources, Part 1: A Lithium Supply Crisis

The key to understanding the demand crisis, which I am here calling “the lithium supply crisis of 2007” is the political pressure on the world’s car makers to do something about their perceived contribution (7%) towards the total carbon dioxide emissions added to the earth’s atmosphere each year, which total is considered by most “experts” as “contributing” to the global warming trend that the earth’s climate may be undergoing. This trend is considered harmful by the most politically active individuals and groups that make up the global environmental, or green, constituency.

…in the last year the OEM automotive industry has taken on a new tack towards the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions. The industry has decided to go forward with the production of significant numbers of the best-possible-at-the-moment technology for reducing the emissions of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons all of which are considered to be “causes” of global warming.

The common denominator of every announcement made this year by all of the companies that make up the global OEM automotive industry was that their future hybrids, battery powered, and fuel cell powered vehicles will use lithium based battery technology

and then we have...

Peak Lithium?

Chile's Atacama desert currently produces the largest market share of the world's lithium carbonate, which are processed into the lithium used to make advanced batteries.

The brine lakes of this remote desert region are the lithium equivalent to the Ghawar oil fields in Saudi Arabia.

Bolivia has similar "worthless" terrain.

It also fits in nicely with the whole "Green/e Planet" plot strand.

#130 AngryPolarBear

AngryPolarBear

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

Greene: This is salt, Mr. Bond. All my life I've admired its color, its brilliance, its divine taste.

Haha, that would be a great line!

#131 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

I like the sound of lithium as described above by Shrublands. I'd also mention that the production is filming at a couple of locations in Chile that were formerly silver and nitrate mines.

#132 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

Very cool. Has Shublands unlocked the mystery? Or will the natural resource coveted by the mysterious Organization as refered to in the synopsis remain a mystery? :tup:

#133 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Chile's Atacama desert currently produces the largest market share of the world's lithium carbonate, which are processed into the lithium used to make advanced batteries.

The brine lakes of this remote desert region are the lithium equivalent to the Ghawar oil fields in Saudi Arabia.

Bolivia has similar "worthless" terrain.

It also fits in nicely with the whole "Green/e Planet" plot strand.

Interesting:

http://www.evworld.c...fm?storyid=1180

Could this be what is featured in the poster?

#134 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:01 AM

[quote name='Shrublands' post='846877' date='5 March 2008 - 02:26']Investing in U.S. Natural Resources, Part 1: A Lithium Supply Crisis

[Box]The key to understanding the demand crisis, which I am here calling

#135 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

I think we already know half the answer from the official synopsis: the Organisation is trying to control one of the world's resources. Now Bolivia is South America's poorest nation, and it doesn't really have much going for it. Sure it has some oil and gas reserves, but not nearly enough for the Organisation to control the world's supply. They have to be able to create a monopoly on the global market with the coup, and unless there's vast quantites of something underneath Bolivia that no-one ever knew about, there's only a handful of things it could be, and I've narrowed it down to two things: antimony and tungsten.

My reasons for thee choices lie in the grander scheme of things: I think that the Organisation is, at least in part, the military-industrial complex. It explains why they fund terror groups through external sources: to destabilise a region, resulting in civil (or international) wars, which require military hardware. The military-industrial complex makes billions, and the Powers That Be within the Organisation see most of it.

If that's the case, antimony is an option because it's frequently used in tracer ammunition. If te Organisation control antimony, they can make tracer ammunition very cheaply and sell it at market price, making a huge profit.

But I think a more interesting option would be tungsten. Tungsten, when alloyed with nickel and iron or cobalt can be used in kinetic energy penetrators, or as an alternative to depleted uranium. Let's be realistic here: while terrorists would love to get their hands on nuclear weapons, it's probably not going to happen. We're busy protecting ourselves agaisnt chemical weapon attacks when we should be defending ourselves against improvised explosive devices, like car bombs: easier to make and set off. Now because terrorists aren't likely to get their hands on nuclear weapons any time soon, they'll seek out the next best alternative: nuclear materials for a dirty bomb. But the world has wised up to that concept, so it's harder to get your hands on a significant amount of that, so once again the terroists seek out the next best alternative, and tungsten may well be it because they can't get depleted uranium.

OK, we've had nuclear terrorism plots lately; The World Is Not Enough being the lates example. But films like Tunderball have always been about terrorists trying to acquire nuclear weapons. What if someone tried to control the supply of materials that coul be used as an alternative to nuclear weapons? And with tungsten being such a common material - the wire in light globes is made out of it - the world's intelligence agencies aren't going to suspect a thing.

The reason why I'm suspecting tungsten is because of Craig's comments a long while ago where he mentioned the Organisation was trying to destablise the global eonomy. We saw the Organisation doing it by providing banking services to terror groups; now they can exend their reach to supplying them with alternatives to nuclear materials and then manipulating the economy to their wn ends even further (actually, that idea woks even if they aren't the military-industrial complex; that's good because I hope they aren't).

#136 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

WATER!

Fresh water is a commodity which is increasingly in short supply...with areas of the US Southwest being dependant on importing it, and of course the wealthy oil states in the Gulf doing the same.

I've known for a few years that a barrel of Evian water costs more than a barrel of oil and I thought i'd share this fact with you.

So there...the mystery is solved in the USA Today news story.

One thing, does Bolivia have an abundance of this commodity? Curious.

PS

Quantum is the name of the organization. I did not know that prior to the article, though we did speculte about it being either Quantum or Solace to connect the double meaning of the title.

PPS

Water? I don't think it connects, i.m.o...But I suppose that's why we go see the movies. November, then. :tup:

PPPs

Perhaps there's a massive hydro table under that section of the South American continental shelf?

#137 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

I think it's probably going to be the third one: some sort of natural aquifer that was - until now - undiscovered. It would have to be big to ensure Quantum could take control of the world's water supply. Maybe that journalist was right in the audio commentary accompanying the USA Today article in that Quantum's plans involve several South American countries. The majority of the water is under Bolivia, so they take control of it and force other countries in line with their private little fiefdom by extorting them with the water supply.

#138 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

I think it's probably going to be the third one: some sort of natural aquifer that was - until now - undiscovered. It would have to be big to ensure Quantum could take control of the world's water supply. Maybe that journalist was right in the audio commentary accompanying the USA Today article in that Quantum's plans involve several South American countries. The majority of the water is under Bolivia, so they take control of it and force other countries in line with their private little fiefdom by extorting them with the water supply.

very cool plot very flemingesque.

I'm happy

#139 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:20 AM

very cool plot very flemingesque.

I'm happy

Hey, I'm not affiliated with EON in any way; I'm just a 21-year-old university student who would love to write a Bond film some day. My speculation mostly stems from the way I would write Qunatum of Solace myself.

#140 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

http://uk.movies.ign...4/864542p1.html

"In this film we're getting a little peek at the organization," Wilson explained. When it comes to coming up with villains and plots for the Bond films, "we're always trying to think in contemporary terms. What are the real issues that are coming up? I guess what we see in the future is a fight over natural resources, and the people that can control them will be bigger than governments or states. Our particular man here is someone who is controlling the water in various countries and if you remember in Chinatown, if you control the water you control the whole development of the country. I think it's true. Right now it appears to be oil, but there's a lot of other resources that we don't think about too much but are all essential and they're very limited and every country needs it. Because every country knows that raising the standard of living -- and populations are getting bigger -- is the way we're all going. So that's the way we look at it."

Greene has "found a way to inhibit the delivery of the water system without people knowing about it. What he wants to do is get control of the distribution system so then he'll provide the water," Wilson said. "Fresh water is a pretty scarce resource. I just got back from the Galapagos and out here [in Chile] you can tell. They have to bring it in, the water."

#141 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:54 AM

urine

#142 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:18 AM

urine

Are you taking the piss?. :tup:

It could be you know. Solace could mean when at last the urine sucking machine has been removed from your Quantum. :tup:

#143 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:19 AM

Greene has "found a way to inhibit the delivery of the water system without people knowing about it. What he wants to do is get control of the distribution system so then he'll provide the water," Wilson said.

This is probably the most interesting part for me ... largely because I have no idea how it would be done.

#144 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

Greene has "found a way to inhibit the delivery of the water system without people knowing about it. What he wants to do is get control of the distribution system so then he'll provide the water," Wilson said.

This is probably the most interesting part for me ... largely because I have no idea how it would be done.

He's building a pipeline in a different place to the others and will then set off a nuclear bomb destroying the others and leaving his as the only one and...

um

...hang on a minute.

#145 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

He's building a pipeline in a different place to the others and will then set off a nuclear bomb destroying the others and leaving his as the only one and...

um

...hang on a minute.

No, no

#146 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8201058.stm

#147 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:50 AM

Oil. How utterly boring. Sort of makes sense, what with there being some very oil rich countries in SA.

Perhaps poor Gemma will be covered in Oil at some point.

Would be a bit strange though - that would basically make Green someone obsessed with oil (in the same way that Goldfinger was obsessed with gold). That just doesn't sound right to me... but I can really picture poor little Gemma lying there naked, except for the black, shiny liquid covering her. How to make that work, why she would be covered in oil, I really don't know (unless it's a biproduct of how she's killed).

I just realised, in my own fanwankering, sleuthing sort of way, that oil also ties in very well with Gemmas claims that her character comes to a sticky end. Crude oil is sticky, isn't it? (and as far as I know Quantum of Solace is not a XXX rated film).

B) Wow. Look how right you guys were.

Edited by The Shark, 03 November 2009 - 01:51 AM.

#148 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:57 AM

First guy was wrong; it wasn't oil, it was water, and the "sticky end" was meant as a diversion.