82 replies to this topic

#31 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

And one thing I really like about this plot is the political nature of it all, with upheaval in a South American country. Good stuff.

I like that as long as it's not a fictional S. American country. Until they say which actual country that one is going to worry me a bit.

In all liklihood, it's going to be fictional.

Surely not...they can be more daring than that. That would be disappointing.

If it is a real nation, I don't see why they wouldn't just name it in the summary.

But personally, I don't see how it's worth caring about. I could care less that LIVE AND LET DIE's San Monique didn't actually exist, and I could care less whether this South American nation is a real one or not.

I have a feeling this plot synopsis is using partially-solidified information. Haggis said that the final locations weren't part of the script he completed, so they could change a little, even now. We're only two weeks into principal shooting. Relatively short time. And the fact that Haiti's being mentioned means that obviously they're doing a good job of substituting one country for another. I'm hoping they won't go the 'fake locale' route.

And my sentiment isn't based so much on San Monique as it is on the maligned "Isthmus City". It just feels like a copout to me to need to make up a country out of thin air which is purposely meant to imply that it's just like ['this or that real nation].

#32 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Man, this keeps getting better and better! How long till November? :tup:

#33 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

I have a feeling this plot synopsis is using partially-solidified information. Haggis said that the final locations weren't part of the script he completed, so they could change a little, even now. We're only two weeks into principal shooting. Relatively short time.

Sure, but that would seemingly be an element they had locked down.

And my sentiment isn't based so much on San Monique as it is on the maligned "Isthmus City". It just feels like a copout to me to need to make up a country out of thin air, but which is purposely meant to imply that it's just like ['this or that real nation].

Neither Isthmus City or San Monique has ever really bothered me much.

#34 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

I have a feeling this plot synopsis is using partially-solidified information. Haggis said that the final locations weren't part of the script he completed, so they could change a little, even now. We're only two weeks into principal shooting. Relatively short time.

Sure, but that would seemingly be an element they had locked down.

And my sentiment isn't based so much on San Monique as it is on the maligned "Isthmus City". It just feels like a copout to me to need to make up a country out of thin air, but which is purposely meant to imply that it's just like ['this or that real nation].

Neither Isthmus City or San Monique has ever really bothered me much.

I'm glad. That kind of dissatisfaction does tend to get in the way. I just thought they'd be past that by now, and trying for much more realistic international "political intrigue".

#35 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'd bet the country will be named and it won't be fictitious.

BOLIVIA or PARAGUAY most likely because they're small but not too small.

Not Brazil or Argentina or Colombia or Chile

#36 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

My money is on Bolivia. There has been an unstable situation there in recent times and there was a rumour from a BBC interview earlier that one of the Pinewood sets was intended to be doubling for Bolivia.

#37 RivenWinner

RivenWinner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

San Monique didn't bother me. To me it sounds like some random Caribbean nation, and I know most of the public probably think it is one, considering the huget amounts of islands and nations in that area.

Isthmus City on the other hand, well, I don't know. It just seems fake and made up. It could have used a different name IMO

My money is on Bolivia. There has been an unstable situation there in recent times and there was a rumour from a BBC interview earlier that one of the Pinewood sets was intended to be doubling for Bolivia.

Yeah. Mine too. Also read an article that said Camille was from Bolivia.

Edited by RivenWinner, 24 January 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#38 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

Perhaps this Mi6 agent Fields is the traitor since it seems to be that the role won't be that big.

Perhaps she dies then that would be two traitors that end up dead for Bond.

Perhaps it's not her though. Perhaps she's assigned by M to keep an eye on Bond.

#39 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

No, I'm pretty certain Fields is not the traitor. It seems as though the traitor will be involved in the earlier stages of the movie, whereas Fields (as an MI6 agent based in Bolivia) is only introduced much later in the plot.

#40 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

This sounds very good. A solid plot.

Bond teaming up with 'old friends' - Felix and Mathis I presume. Excellent.

#41 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

Bond teaming up with 'old friends' - Felix and Mathis I presume. Excellent.

Yes, indeed, very good news. I wonder how they'll utilise the "Mathis is a traitor" angle - perhaps an interrogation scene?

#42 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

My first guess on the natural resource would be oil, but some sort of crazy natural uranium isotope that's as fissle as the enriched stuff makes more sense.

Like you, I thought oil first, and then uranium. Oil was already done three films ago, uranium is more Bond villain-like. Of course, a natural uranium deposit was part of the plot of Raymond Benson's "Zero Minus Ten" (in which the villain finds uranium in the Australian outback and uses it for a nuke), so perhaps EON have "borrowed" that plot device :tup:

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

So Haiti is a location. Nice.

Very intrigued by the "important natural resources."

#44 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

Yes I noticed that too. I'm assuming Panama or South America will be impersonating Haiti though :tup:

#45 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

And one thing I really like about this plot is the political nature of it all, with upheaval in a South American country. Good stuff.

I like that as long as it's not a fictional S. American country. Until they say which actual country that one is going to worry me a bit.

In all liklihood, it's going to be fictional.

Probably. The reason being that they won't want to offend a real country by implying it's an unstable banana republic with poor human rights and a shoddy government that could plausibly fall to a coup, or anything like that (although the use of North Korea in DIE ANOTHER DAY is presumably okay).

Why don't they just use Isthmus City? I mean, Panama is on an isthmus, is it not? Plus, it'd be a great nod to the rest of the series and would certainly put LICENCE TO KILL in a new light (after all, it'd now look as though Bond, on one of his early missions, had helped put or keep President Lopez in power and therefore that he was in some way responsible for Sanchez's safe haven in the first place!). Still, Bond fans who aren't as fond of LTK as I am might not welcome this suggestion.

#46 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

They could surely just make up the natural resource - a new metal is discovered somewhere in South America that has similar properties to uranium but is much more adaptable or whatever.

As they only just decided to call the film QoS a couple of days ago, I imagine we won't see anything from the story at all.

#47 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

Let's start a rumour which the tabloids can lap up. Bolivia is famous for it's salt deposits, therefore Dominic Greene is aiming to destabilise the world's economy by ruining fast food chains which rely on salt in their food. There you go.

#48 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Why don't they just use Isthmus City? I mean, Panama is on an isthmus, is it not? Plus, it'd be a great nod to the rest of the series and would certainly put LICENCE TO KILL in a new light (after all, it'd now look as though Bond, on one of his early missions, had helped put or keep President Lopez in power and therefore that he was in some way responsible for Sanchez's safe haven in the first place!). Still, Bond fans who aren't as fond of LTK as I am might not welcome this suggestion.

While I'm very much opposed to EON using a fictional country for the setting of Quantum of Solace, I think that if they were to use a fictional country, having it set in Isthmus City would be a great way to go, and would be a great nod to LTK.

#49 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Very intrigued by the "important natural resources."

Yeah, I like that they're keeping us guessing...

Hat in the ring: oil. Nothing would destabalize the world economy more than a big new oil deposit being discovered somewhere like South America. Also, will Greene be pulling a Goldfinger/Le Chiffre, and hoarding the whatever/shorting stock to inflate his own worth? Liking this a lot, also the "Ken Adam" bit, now what could that be about...?

#50 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Sounds to be a suitably intriguing plot - natural resources on barren land.

Superb.

#51 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hmmmm, now which natural resource could be found on a "barren piece of land?"

Guano. (google for it, if you dont know what it is). It is natural and a resource to whoever has use for it.
This was already covered in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls".

Perhaps this Mi6 agent Fields is the traitor since it seems to be that the role won't be that big.

Perhaps she dies then that would be two traitors that end up dead for Bond.

Perhaps it's not her though. Perhaps she's assigned by M to keep an eye on Bond.

P&W always have a thread of having one of the gals being evil and the other a good one. True from TWINE times. So the Brit gal will be the bad one and the Ukranian will be the good one. Or vice versa. Depending on Paul Haggis's retouch.

Edited by DavidSomerset, 25 January 2008 - 12:21 AM.

#52 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

Guano. (google for it, if you dont know what it is). It is natural and a resource to whoever has use for it.

Um - and DR NO!

#53 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

Um - and DR NO!

Spot on! Your are a spy novel fan!
This will link Ian's novels to the latest one ...circle of life and all that... :tup:

Maybe Dominic Greene wans to convert Guano into fuel for a "dirty" bomb. :tup:

#54 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

They could surely just make up the natural resource - a new metal is discovered somewhere in South America that has similar properties to uranium but is much more adaptable or whatever.

Columbite, perhaps?

#55 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:48 AM

In an interview (here), it was said that Fields works at the consulate in Bolivia. So it seems we've found our South American country, gentlemen.

There are some other interesting plot tidbits in that interview/featurette as well.

#56 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:54 AM

nice find Harms. :tup:

Poor Bolivia though...Butch Cassady went to Mexico to shoot Bolivia...this poor country can't catch a cinematic break.

BTW, my Dad is from Paraguay and I've been there a few times and I think it would make a great location(Miami Vice went there) for a Bond film... :tup:

#57 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:02 AM

"The bad guys being this organization which is having a serious go at taking over the world."

He's at it again. :tup:

#58 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:24 AM

In an interview (here), it was said that Fields works at the consulate in Bolivia. So it seems we've found our South American country, gentlemen.

There are some other interesting plot tidbits in that interview/featurette as well.

WTF! I watched Access Hollywood tonight and they didn't show any of this :tup:

Anyway, interesting comment from Craig that QoS takes us "well on the way to finding out who the bad guys are". In other words, Dominic Greene is probably just another player, but not the master. Blofeld in Bond 23? :tup:

#59 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

Uranium.

For (half-)Ukranians.

Chernobyl is in the Ukraine.

"The Organisation" caused the Chernobyl disaster and now the half-Ukranian woman wants revenge.

I'm on Bond 23 already. This is old news.

NB Just Another Kill, chapter 7

[box]

#60 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Columbite, perhaps?

Yes, that would be a nice touch!