45 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

This is probably a silly question given that this is the Higson forum, but I'll ask it anyway. I am working my way through the Flemings now and I'm just wondering if the Young Bonds are worth reading. I love the Flemings but will I like the Higsons? Thanks.

Oh, the YB books are definitely worth reading. Of all the continuation novel "eras", fans appear to give Higson's YB series a universal thumbs up. I actually think Blood Fever is one of the very best James Bond books, period. Fleming included.

#32 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

This is probably a silly question given that this is the Higson forum, but I'll ask it anyway. I am working my way through the Flemings now and I'm just wondering if the Young Bonds are worth reading. I love the Flemings but will I like the Higsons? Thanks.

I'm pretty much a Fleming purist, but I like Higson's novels. For the older crowd it may be hard to imagine these books working, hell you may be even against the idea (which I initially had reservations about too), but the novels are well written, fun, and barely children's books. Blood Fever really pushed it. There's really no less blood, action or innuendo than a typical Fleming, Gardner or Benson, IMHO.

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

Oh, the YB books are definitely worth reading. Of all the continuation novel "eras", fans appear to give Higson's YB series a universal thumbs up. I actually think Blood Fever is one of the very best James Bond books, period. Fleming included.

I'm pretty much a Fleming purist, but I like Higson's novels. For the older crowd it may be hard to imagine these books working, hell you may be even against the idea (which I initially had reservations about too), but the novels are well written, fun, and barely children's books. Blood Fever really pushed it. There's really no less blood, action or innuendo than a typical Fleming, Gardner or Benson, IMHO.

These two posts pretty much sum it up perfectly for me. One just needs to take a chance on the series and I think they'll be pleasently surprised.

And yes, Blood Fever really is quite good.

#34 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:50 AM

I went through the BloodFever chapter listings and recalled what went on - and it is almost classic moments one after the other.

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:01 AM

As good as Blood Fever is, as time rolls on, I find myself thinking more and more about Double or Die. Maybe it's the London locations. That book has really stuck with me.

#36 __7

__7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:02 AM

These two posts pretty much sum it up perfectly for me. One just needs to take a chance on the series and I think they'll be pleasently surprised.

And yes, Blood Fever really is quite good.

I appreciate all of your comments. From what you all say it sounds like Higson was trying to stay in line with the Fleming style. I will give the series a try when I finish the others.

#37 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:07 AM

Yes, give them all a read. Hurricane Gold is different to the others, it is a flat out non stop adventure. Nothing wrong with that, though.

#38 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:45 AM

I appreciate all of your comments. From what you all say it sounds like Higson was trying to stay in line with the Fleming style. I will give the series a try when I finish the others.

I'll say this, SilverFin is the weakest of the Young Bonds probably due to the fact that Charlie had to establish a lot. It's still a fun novel, but just not as good as the other 3 IMHO.

#39 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:08 AM

That sounds great. I have only read Silverfin so far, so I have them all in front of me. I stopped reading YB after Sivlerfin , cause I did start re-reading the originals (in the right order) starting with Flemings and today I has come to Gardners Brokenclaw. Thought I go through all the YB books when I was done with all the others (including DMC).

I was very surprised with Silverfin cause I wasn't so positive to the whole YB-business (a Harry Potter-clone I thought) at the start. Reading all the comments there are a majority of positive words and noticing that most negativity comes from thus who don't have even read them. I say give them a chance. Silverfin is good and reading the reviews the rest is better.

#40 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:10 AM

I tell everyone who reads SilverFin and is unsure if to carry on, to do so. SilverFin in my opinion is the lesser of the novels, but still good. Just that the others are better.

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

Yes, give them all a read. Hurricane Gold is different to the others, it is a flat out non stop adventure. Nothing wrong with that, though.

True, but that one just left me the slightest bit cold when compared to the three that preceded it. I know several YB fans loved it, but it might be my least favourite of the four so far.

#42 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:24 AM

I had a problem with James and Precious taking part in the avenue of death at the end, I was concerned about the plausibility of it all. The first man to run it at the beginning didn't make it that far at all really. I suppose with the two of them helping each other out, etc, it seems more likely. If you look at the book in the light of an adventure, like Tin Tin for example, it is alright I think.

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Also Bond had a map of the Ave of Death, so he and Precious had an advantage that the guy in the opening didn't. Bond knew where to expect traps, he just didn't know what kind of traps they would be (if I'm remembering it correctly).

#44 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

Yes, that's right. Bond could then know where to place the explosive in the wall at the end. That helps the plausibility a bit more.

#45 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

Higson has hardly put a foot wrong in his Bond tenure. BTW I love the YBD site

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Thanks quantumofsolace.

EDIT: A little update on this thread. The book is done.