Title chosen; skiing instructor Hannes Oberhauser to feature in the novel

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

Odd. I thought he'd just stop. Man writing book in writing book shock.

#3 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

Clearly you are short on definitions for what makes a great lead story...

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Maybe it's not a "great" bit of news, but it's not without interest. A Charlie appearance is always worth noting, and I think it's intriguing to hear Charlie has not yet finished YB5. Also, having talked to Bookwitch (I've updated my own story with a few new details), I'm not sure that his being "forcibly dragged" to the presentation comment was a joke. And it's neat to hear about the Royal Family connection again.

But, yeah, this is the kind of thing only fanatics find interesting and, obviously, this is not a place for Bond fanatics. :tup:

#5 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

Note to CBN - just needs "sexing up", that's all. Viz:

'Charlie Higson STILL working on Young Bond 5!'

It was been reported that Charlie Higson had to be "forcibly dragged" to a publishing event on behalf of Puffin recently. It would appear that Mr Higson has had problems finishing the novel, as it is reported he is having trouble reconciling the fate of his juvenile Bond to enable it to segue into anything that would likely reflect - and therefore be accepted by legions of Bond 'fanatics'- the events detailed by Ian Fleming in Bond's obituary in You Only Live Twice.

At this time, publishers report the expected date of publication to remain unaltered..."

Just a thought :tup:

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Note to CBN - just needs "sexing up", that's all. Viz:

'Charlie Higson STILL working on Young Bond 5!'

It was been reported that Charlie Higson had to be "forcibly dragged" to a publishing event on behalf of Puffin recently. It would appear that Mr Higson has had problems finishing the novel, as it is reported he is having trouble reconciling the fate of his juvenile Bond to enable it to segue into anything that would likely reflect - and therefore be accepted by legions of Bond 'fanatics'- the events detailed by Ian Fleming in Bond's obituary in You Only Live Twice.

At this time, publishers report the expected date of publication to remain unaltered..."

Just a thought :tup:

Yes...

Still not finished? Will YB V be ready?

Fans were left reeling yesterday when Young Bond book the fifth - which may be blond! - was revealed by author Charlie Higson to not even have been completed yet!

Higson, 76, was spotted at a recent event for something-or-other, something utterly ghastly probably, and revealed to a shocked audience that he was still writing it; and was under torture to attend the thing, whatever the hell it was!

"I have been dragged in here under pain of death," we made up him saying, "and it's all going to end badly".

Bond fan Juxtapose Crabwitch, 3, told us "It's a disgrace. He should have written it years ago and he stole my idea anyway and is this what fresh air is like, it scares me. Blue or Green, this or that? Can I quote some Dalton film at you? What music are you currently listening to? I'm lost, so lost. Help me, for my soul is made of spanners".

Daniel Craig is nine.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

LOL. Excellent, Jim. Now that's a story. :tup:

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Major Young Bond 5 update today from The Man himself.

Progress, a major Fleming character, and...there is a title!

STORY.

#9 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hannes Oberhauser? YES!!! :tup:

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

It was pointed out in another thread that Oberhauser is mentioned in Bond's dossier on the official CR website, suggesting that maybe he will appear in QOS or Bond 23. Kind of interesting.

#11 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

Diamond Rain is an intriguing title. Doesn't sound like a good final Bond title, but it's interesting anyway. Sounds a lot like Hurricane Gold. Not really liking how it's almost becoming "Bondian" just to take two words that don't mix and throw them together to form a title. Hurricane Gold, Diamond Rain, SilverFin, Blood Fever (to an extent). I hope they get away from this with the final title.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

See, I think there's a whole new aesthetic here. These aren't Bond titles, they are Young Bond titles. Having gotten into Doc Savage lately, I've very into all things pulp, and I think there's a nice pulp feel to YB titles (as there is a nice pulp feel to the books, especially Hurricane Gold). In this regard, I even kind of like Dynamite Kiss, although maybe that one is a little too James Bond Jr.

#13 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Well maybe that would be a good running theme for the Eton years had they not screwed it up with Double or Die. That one is too Gardner and it makes zero sense.

I never cared for The Shadow War either so I'm okay with not using it. Sounded too.. spinoff Tom Clancy.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:48 AM

-----UPDATE-----

Title chosen; skiing instructor Hannes Oberhauser to feature in the novel

#15 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:49 AM

Brilliant. Good to hear some Young Bond news after the long hiatus of none. I am now interested to what this Flemingesque title may be.

#16 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

Am I the only one more looking forward to Young Bond 5 more than Devil May Care?

Higson has shown he knows how to handle the ball well, Faulks might just drop it... And to admit you'd rather read a book about a 13 year old James Bond rather than one in his 40s isn't easy. :tup:

#17 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, the Young Bond books certainly hold their own.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

Am I the only one more looking forward to Young Bond 5 more than Devil May Care?

Nope, you're not the only one. :tup:

#19 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

The skiing aspect is what gets me excited with YB5. In OHMSS Bond's internal thoughts go on about how the equipment has changed since 'his day'. Higson can have a field day explaining this older equipment.

#20 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

I like the idea of Hannes Oberhauser appearing in Young Bond 5, although I am disappointed with The Shadow War not being the title. I liked it quite a bit.

#21 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

Yes I loved that title, but the new title may be better. :tup:

#22 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

I rather liked Shadow War, but I guess I'll have to wait and see if the final title is better or worse...

#23 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

Really looking forward to this one. Only thing is - I want more! I have some hope they will announce there will be more pre-007 books. No news on the short story Higson was talking about earlier?

#24 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

None as yet. But, the series can continue. There are these graphic novels, which I hope they adapt all five books. They can then possibly move onto original stories. Then, there is the possibility of a video game, or video game series, getting off the ground. There is also maybe a chance of a film in the future.

#25 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

Good stuff.

Maybe I missed it, but when were "Diamond Rain" or "Dynamite Kiss" mentioned as working titles?

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

I like the idea of Hannes Oberhauser appearing in Young Bond 5

Agreed. I think this is a fantastic way to tie the Young Bond and Fleming's original series together a bit.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

Good stuff.

Maybe I missed it, but when were "Diamond Rain" or "Dynamite Kiss" mentioned as working titles?

They weren't. This is the first mention of those titles.

Really looking forward to this one. Only thing is - I want more! I have some hope they will announce there will be more pre-007 books. No news on the short story Higson was talking about earlier?

No news on the short. Higson did say it was only a possibility.

One thing I've noticed is, so far, no official YB5 press has used the word "last" or "final" or "concluding chapter", etc. Could offer some hope.

#28 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

No way! There's two of you. :tup:

One thing I've noticed is, so far, no official YB5 press has used the word "last" or "final" or "concluding chapter", etc. Could offer some hope.

Well I think it's obvious they're hoping to continue "Young Bond". Charlie clearly set it up in Hurricane Gold and left the door open. Whether he writes it is a different matter. Whether it will be called "Young Bond" may be another. I see another 5 books on the Fettes years and another potential series after that dealing with Bond in the military leading up to his career as a double-0.

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

That'd be fantastic. There is plenty more that can be written about Bond.

#30 __7

__7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

This is probably a silly question given that this is the Higson forum, but I'll ask it anyway. I am working my way through the Flemings now and I'm just wondering if the Young Bonds are worth reading. I love the Flemings but will I like the Higsons? Thanks.