63 replies to this topic

#61 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

Why would an MI6 agent investigate the smuggling of such goods as drugs or diamonds into the U.K., in the first place?

Probably not. But he might be sent someplace where they have a hot lead on a bad guy smuggler...like Panama. :D And, Bond's gone after gold and diamond smugglers before, threat to national interests and so forth. Just depends how they set it up IMO.

Edited by blueman, 08 January 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#62 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

Why would an MI6 agent investigate the smuggling of such goods as drugs or diamonds into the U.K., in the first place?

Probably not. But he might be sent someplace where they have a hot lead on a bad guy smuggler...like Panama. :D And, Bond's gone after gold and diamond smugglers before, threat to national interests and so forth. Just depends how they set it up IMO.

It may also be the case that Bond is still trying to discover how the terrorist network is funded, and the trail leads him to discover that drugs are providing the cash.

#63 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, and that would two extant sources of cash: terrorism and drug smuggling. Looking more and more like the return of...well you know. :D

#64 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

The drug smuggling plot has been done several times in past Bond films (LALD, FYEO, LTK), and I think that it would be best if the Bond franchise started exploring new ideas rather than going back to things that have already been done before.

Human trafficking?

That's one possibility for a villainous scheme in a Bond film... It would have been more faithful to Fleming's novel while bringing an issue to the forefront that is something that is not often talked about in the news but is a problem that need to be addressed.

I wonder if that's too real for a PG-13 audience? I say the "drugs for arms" angle will always be relevant because it's still relevant in today's world.

That being said, if we "follow the money" (I'm referencing "The Wire") you've gotta know bankers and financiers are helping to launder and hide funds. You can look at the brokering of intelligence, political figures who take foreign aid for their own ill-gotten purposes, etc.

I say a SPECTRE can plausibly exist (and flourish) in a post 9/11 Bond Universe. :tup: