#121 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

Dell,

Your website has become incredible! I'm trying to get the Mrs. interested in a Rolex now as well.

Cheers,

4A

#122 Goldeneye1337

Goldeneye1337

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hey Guys. I've just seen an Omega seamaster 2551.80.00 midsize for £600 second hand. Looks a nice deal as it's from a jeweler. I know it's the mid size but wondered what people think he of the offer seeing my wrist is only 6.5"?

PS This could delay my Rolex Sub 14060M puchase. But hey, be nice to have both :-)

#123 Osato

Osato

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

That's about the right price, the auto yes, not the quartz?
Mid-size is tempting on smaller wrists, but can look too small if you are male.

#124 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

This quote from an article that came up last night on The Huffington Post really struck me with regard to "our subject" here.

Goldfinger, incidentally, really triggered the phenomenon of "the Bond watch," with Bond iconically posed early in the film lighting a cigarette in a cantina waiting for his bomb to go off. There are actually two Bond watches in Goldfinger, as there were two in the beginning of the series in Dr. No. The constantly identified Rolex Submariner dive watch, and a seldom mentioned, unidentified ultra-thin gold watch with a white face on a black leather strap, which looks like an Omega or Rolex dress watch of the period. The Rolex Submariner was the one that was emphasized, and so the one that caught on as the rugged action man's watch, though it was finally supplanted in the '90s in Bond films by the equally promoted Omega Seamaster.

The article is titled, "Another '60s Anniversary: The Ur-Action Blockbuster Goldfinger," by William Bradley. LINK

#125 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

Going to open this up to anyone who knows about this sort of thing, not just Mr Deaton:

I found a trustworthy source that sells genuine Rolex, some vintage, some new for slightly more affordable pricing than retail value (I even borrowed six of the watches and took them to a local watchmaker to verify the authenticity). Waffling between a '59 Oyster Perpetual Datejust, a '59 Oyster Perpetual (no date), and a Submariner Date (I believe it was two years old, maybe three). Which of these do you think would be the smarter buy? If quality is of no difference, I'll probably go with the Submariner Date, if only because it's all black, instead of just a black face.

#126 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

go for the sub.

#127 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have a sub date and arguably it's the most iconic watch of the Rolex line with a very rich history.

As for new or vintage - vintage subs are great as dress watches however due to the acrylic crystal and water resistance issues due to age they are not as rugged and hard wearing as the newer models. If you are after an everyday "tool" watch you don't have to worry about banging/scratching here and there get a new one.

#128 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Alright, thanks for the info. I'm heading out to that part of town tonight to visit a friend, so I'll pick up the Date when I'm out there. Pics will follow if I can locate my camera.

#129 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Does anyone have an image of black pvd watch worn by SC in NSNA?? I have bought many pvd watches but none that comes close to the one in the movie.
please if anyone has an image upload it.
Thanks

#130 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Does anyone know what kind of watch was used in the deleted scene from AVTAK. The Grant wire watch Roger waers briefly?

#131 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone know what kind of watch was used in the deleted scene from AVTAK. The Grant wire watch Roger waers briefly?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, Mr. Summerset; just saw your question here.

To avoid confusion in the many EON Productions films where James Bond wears multiple wristwatches, we've labeled the piece you've asked about as the "Eiffel Tower Seiko," after the scenes in A View to a Kill where it features most significantly. With Agent 007 dining in Paris, wearing a tuxedo, it seems the least appropriate of the three Bond watches featured in A View to a Kill for wear here - until, as you point out, one sees the hero version created for a gag that was cut where M bails Bond out of jail (his items are returned here, the trick watch is exposed, and Roger Moore makes reference to Grant's watch in From Russia with Love).

Eiffel Tower Seiko specifications

Seiko case H558-5000, model SPW001

Duo-display diver's watch, circa 1985. Certified for depths of 150 meters, severe impact resistance. Underwater alarm function will give elapsed time of up to 60 minutes in minutes, seconds, and 1/100ths seconds. Luminous hands and dial provide visible time information in low light. Surfacing rate conversion. Time, calendar, alarm, stopwatch, dual-time, backlight, screw-down crown. Originally retailed for £195 new.

#132 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Can anyone help me with the watch seen on NSNA. 007 manages to free himself from iron shackles by using the laser.

#133 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, Mr. Summerset; just saw your question here.

To avoid confusion in the many EON Productions films where James Bond wears multiple wristwatches, we've labeled the piece you've asked about as the "Eiffel Tower Seiko," after the scenes in A View to a Kill where it features most significantly. With Agent 007 dining in Paris, wearing a tuxedo, it seems the least appropriate of the three Bond watches featured in A View to a Kill for wear here - until, as you point out, one sees the hero version created for a gag that was cut where M bails Bond out of jail (his items are returned here, the trick watch is exposed, and Roger Moore makes reference to Grant's watch in From Russia with Love).

Duo-display diver's watch, circa 1985. Certified for depths of 150 meters, severe impact resistance. Underwater alarm function will give elapsed time of up to 60 minutes in minutes, seconds, and 1/100ths seconds. Luminous hands and dial provide visible time information in low light. Surfacing rate conversion. Time, calendar, alarm, stopwatch, dual-time, backlight, screw-down crown. Originally retailed for £195 new.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if those are available anywhere? I used to have an enormous diver's Seiko that looked remarkably like the one Roger Moore wears in FYEO during the sub sequence.

#134 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I wonder if those are available anywhere? I used to have an enormous diver's Seiko that looked remarkably like the one Roger Moore wears in FYEO during the sub sequence.

The Seiko diver's watch featured in For Your Eyes Only is an entirely different watch altogether. Reference the "Neptune Diver Seiko" on our Definitive List.

Neptune Diver Seiko

Seiko case 7549-7009, model S60583

Quartz divers (600m), Titanium black surround, with Titanium Nitride one piece case and crown with gold colour. Rotating bezel, "HARDLEX" glass.

There's actually a lot of detail coming in very quickly right now on the nine different Seiko watch types featured in the last five Roger Moore James Bond films. I'm Tweeting highlights as they come along, to keep up in advance of getting them Posted to the James Bond Watches Blog.

http://twitter.com/bondwatches

Hope this helps. Be sure to Post images here if you end up with either of these great watches!

#135 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hi guys, check out the new PO. I wonder if Craig may wear this for Bond 23.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://ablogtoread.c...-ceramic-bezel/

#136 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi guys, check out the new PO. I wonder if Craig may wear this for Bond 23.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://ablogtoread.c...-ceramic-bezel/

Looks very nice, but how is different to the current model? If I may ask... thanks.

#137 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

red seamaster inscription, the bezel is made of liquid metal and I think there's a limited number of these babies. The good thing is, there aren't any 007 motifs on it.

#138 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

red seamaster inscription, the bezel is made of liquid metal and I think there's a limited number of these babies. The good thing is, there aren't any 007 motifs on it.

Ok thanks.... I hated asking for normal PO in shops and they keep showing QOS/CR limited edition watches. Then they will promote orange PO. After a while just got tired and gave up.
I wish Bond would wear a watch with Nylon strap at least for one mission.

#139 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hehe, you should have just asked for a standard PO.

#140 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hehe, you should have just asked for a standard PO.

Trust me I did, after a while when they know I am not interested in LE watches they tune out. Hehehe. This watch looks wicked. I like it. Hope he wears it or maybe a full pvd PO. B))

#141 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

I noticed something on HildebrandRarity's watch...there's the "officially certified" text below the depth range. Is that new (the dateless Subs don't usually have that)?

Personally, I wear a 14060m. Like a lot of Bond fans I fell in love with the Sub design after watching LALD. I acquired it in 2003...the 50th anniversary of Bond and the Submariner.

#142 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

I noticed something on HildebrandRarity's watch...there's the "officially certified" text below the depth range. Is that new (the dateless Subs don't usually have that)?

Personally, I wear a 14060m. Like a lot of Bond fans I fell in love with the Sub design after watching LALD. I acquired it in 2003...the 50th anniversary of Bond and the Submariner.

Yes, it's relatively new.

Posted Image

As far as I know, it still has the calibre 3130 manufacture movement. But the two lines of text above the 6 o'clock position accurately reflected the fact that it was not COSC certified. Ironically, it was the same base as used in the Officially Certified Submariner Date, which is designated as a 3135 to reflect the date complication - but which, when tested, would have effectively been a 3130.

Posted Image

As the story goes, the Rolex Submariner was sorta standing out as inconsistent with Rolex imaging vis-à-vis Certifications. Requiring nothing more than submitting what they were already producing, they could then label it as having passed COSC specifications and charge more for it.

Personally, while I can't imagine my Dalton-Era Rolex Submariner Date with anything other than its four lines, I prefer just two for the 14060M.

#143 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thinking of buying Rolex sub/no date. I heard that Rolex will not take the watch for any form of repair or service if the watch has been modified which includes 'inserting canvas strap'. So am worried now.

#144 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

Thinking of buying Rolex sub/no date. I heard that Rolex will not take the watch for any form of repair or service if the watch has been modified which includes 'inserting canvas strap'. So am worried now.

Let me see if I can address what I understand as your concern.

If you are going to send your watch to a Rolex Service Center for any reason (eg, work covered by warranty, routine maintenance per schedule, repair due to damage), it's been the practice of Rolex not to work on any watch short of having an up-front agreement from you that they'll bring the watch completely back to original, as sold condition. Or at least as far as is practical.*

Obvious in this, I suppose, is taking out non-Rolex parts. Less obvious to some would be when folks change-out bezels; Rolex would match to the case number the appropriate bezel before going forward. (It wouldn't seem to me that they'd work on any of the Project X watches either, for that matter.)

What if you say "no"? Then they return the watch to you.

Bracelets are a grey area, I think, because I can see Rolex receiving a watch with a bracelet that doesn't match its case number and requiring that that be corrected. On the other hand, I've sent in watches without a bracelet attached and had no questions from them. As a matter of fact, I think it might have been my 14060M (see photos above in this Thread).

If it's an RAF or NATO style strap, it seems to me it would be easy enough to remove it and send the head in that way.

Call Rolex and ask.

Before signing off here, let me suggest one other consideration for would-be 14060M owners. I'm not sure that I'd recommend even a 5513 for everyday wear by a James Bond fan. At the same time, a few years back I ran a Poll of collectors and asked if they considered the 14060M a "Bond watch" per its 5513 roots. Some 49% said "no," compared to 47% who said "yes."

If that matters to you, well, there that is.

#145 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks again for the helpful info. I was at Rolex agent and they showed me the letter sent by parent company saying any watch with modifications done including the bracelet is to be refused. The plus point is the NATO strap can be removed before sending as long as they accept the watch without any bracelet.
Looking forward to my new Rolex.

Thank you for all the info Dell.

#146 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Thanks again for the helpful info. I was at Rolex agent and they showed me the letter sent by parent company saying any watch with modifications done including the bracelet is to be refused. The plus point is the NATO strap can be removed before sending as long as they accept the watch without any bracelet.
Looking forward to my new Rolex.

Thank you for all the info Dell.

Oh, my-- The letters folks receive and show us.

Glad to have been of assistance. Now you know, of course, that one of the "prices" to be paid for actively participating in this CBn Thread is that you must show off pictures of your watch when you get it, right?

Doesn't matter how many have come before yours. Each proud owner is another invaluable story to share.

Your "timing" also strikes me as interesting. In the novel, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, you do know that James Bond himself gets a new Rolex right around Christmas / Boxing Day, right?

(Good to have such trivia top-of-mind for when the wife or girlfriend inquires, to which you can justly reply, "but honey, Ian Fleming specified the brand and the occasion!")

#147 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

B) well I think you just gave me an added incentive to own my first Rolex. I will definitely post a few pics in this forum. Also just to clarify one more matter, until GF famous Bond watch scene didn't he wear the Rolex with black nato strap? This is how I see it in DN and FRWL.

Edited by Dekard77, 22 December 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#148 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

B) well I think you just gave me an added incentive to own my first Rolex. I will definitely post a few pics in this forum. Also just to clarify one more matter, until GF famous Bond watch scene didn't he wear the Rolex with black nato strap? This is how I see it in DN and FRWL.

That's not how it appears to me.

There are a number of nice watch band close-ups available in Dr. No. Putting texture and material aside for a moment, on my September 18 James Bond Watches Blog, I note that the scene were Sean Connery takes off the watch to check Geiger Counter function is at 46 minutes, 40 seconds into the film.

From that, you can tell by the operation of the buckle that it is not a NATO strap.

Additionally, if we're looking for trivia questions, I added this: "Did you also notice at 46 minutes, 44 seconds, when 007 removes the watch from his wrist, that the strap is installed with its buckle at the 6 o'clock, as opposed to the 12 o'clock position?"

#149 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

That's not how it appears to me.

There are a number of nice watch band close-ups available in Dr. No. Putting texture and material aside for a moment, on my September 18 James Bond Watches Blog, I note that the scene were Sean Connery takes off the watch to check Geiger Counter function is at 46 minutes, 40 seconds into the film.

From that, you can tell by the operation of the buckle that it is not a NATO strap.

Additionally, if we're looking for trivia questions, I added this: "Did you also notice at 46 minutes, 44 seconds, when 007 removes the watch from his wrist, that the strap is installed with its buckle at the 6 o'clock, as opposed to the 12 o'clock position?"

Now that you mentioned first ever mission of 007. I will watch the DVD. Examine the facts. I personally prefer the black nato and noticed in several pics also to be the same.

#150 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

... Also just to clarify one more matter, until GF famous Bond watch scene didn't he wear the Rolex with black nato strap? This is how I see it in DN and FRWL.

That's not how it appears to me....

Now that you mentioned first ever mission of 007. I will watch the DVD. Examine the facts. I personally prefer the black nato and noticed in several pics also to be the same.

It's not clear to me what you're saying here. Is it that you will (in the future) look at the DVDs to check out what I've said, or that you have already (in the past) noticed in several of the DVD frames from Dr No and/or From Russia with Love an example of Sean Connery wearing a Rolex Submariner on a black NATO?