37 replies to this topic

#31 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Man, that sounded like alot of fun. I too wonder why he wouldn't sign Bond stuff. Hmm.

ACE addresses this in the "So did Dalton quit the role or was he fired? And why?" thread (Post No. 64. Very plausible, IMO.

#32 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

How would it have gone over if Timothy Dalton played James Bond with a [censored]eating smile like that?

#33 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:01 AM

Blogging.LA has an mp3 of Dalton's Q&A.

#34 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:14 AM

He never signs Bond material. Not since 1994, anyway. Even if someone sends him something Bond-related to sign through the post, he'll send it back unsigned, and send them a signed photograph instead.

Maybe there was some kind of agreement that he wouldn't sign Bond material when he stopped playing a role? Like Brosnan's agreement never to appear in non-Bond films wearing a tuxedo when he was in the role?

For those of you who have actually met him, is Dalton OK with discussing 007 with fans or not? Just want to know in case I ever actually do meet him.

#35 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

Maybe there was some kind of agreement that he wouldn't sign Bond material when he stopped playing a role? Like Brosnan's agreement never to appear in non-Bond films wearing a tuxedo when he was in the role?

No contract can or would control what he chooses to autograph.

It's a personal decision.

Diana Rigg for instance, refuses to sign Avengers items, but will sign other things, including Bond.

Just like some baseball players will sign photos but won't sign bats.

#36 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:36 AM

No contract can or would control what he chooses to autograph.

It's a personal decision.

Diana Rigg for instance, refuses to sign Avengers items, but will sign other things, including Bond.

Just like some baseball players will sign photos but won't sign bats.

But is he OK with discussing Bond with fans? He seemed pretty OK discussing Bond in this interview about Hot Fuzz-

#37 Tatiana Romanova

Tatiana Romanova

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

Would have loved to gone to this!

Yes, Dalton for quite a few years now has refused to sign Bond shots, he only signs cards etc for some reason.

Thanks for the clip!

#38 puck

puck

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the recount guys!

About not signing Bonds pics:
I would guess much of it is because Dalton is a high caliber actor, who as a matter of course, has explored the depths of many different characters, and worked hard at it his entire career.

From his pov, he doesn't benefit professionally or (my guess) get much emotional satisfaction from being pegged as Bond. (Plus I'm sure far too many Bond fans are cult-ish, and over the years have behaved like disrespectful, presumptuous zealots. Unsettling for a guy who seems pretty private by nature)

Where Moore and yes, even Connery (as wonderful as he was as JB) are largely known for the role, people in the know, think of TD more for his great stage work, films like Lion In Winter, Jane Eyre (many think his Rochester is still unsurpassed, in terms of his understanding of the character), and even some indie films where he turned in some strong, nuanced performances. Even his tv portrayal of Julius Caesar was wonderful. And now of course Hot Fuzz. The guy's just really talented.

But don't get me wrong, I also enjoy his more realistic portrayal of Bond.