This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Tmwtrt - Are Benson's Creative Juices Drying Up?

56 replies to this topic

#1 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 06:28 PM

Having just read TMWTRT, while on holiday, I was disturbed by the plot and the way the story evolved. For me there was nothing new - sure, as a Bond fan, I crave the essential scenes, so all Bond stories are likely to be formulaic, but come on! Everything was ripped off from what has gone on before. Obvious smatterings of YOLT were evident along with the Nic Nac type character from TMWTGG. As warming as it was to have Tiger back - the was not enough of his part.
Over all I think Benson has rushed out an average novel which could have been written better. Its a shame, and I just hope he can try a little harder to be original.
I'd like to know what others think about the book, so then I can see if my perceptions are a little too scathing, or justified.:)

#2 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:12 PM

I think the pressure of having to deliver a Book a year is stifling the guy.
Reading his first novel I thought he was an ok thriller writer who had the promise to develop into a really good one.
Unfortunately the stuff he's churning out now is pretty banal imo.

(And I thought the nude base jumping in Doubleshot just smacked of desperation.)

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:41 PM

Benson has done six books and three novelizations back to back and I find that amazing. Gardner took a year break after only 4 books. I think Benson found his voice with HTTK and did his best work in NDOD. Still, I thought TMWTRT was a very strong Bond book and one that was intentionally traditional in it's approach (the right way to go after the Union trilogy). I don't think Benson is running out of gas, but I'm sure it's not easy to come up with new Bond plots and not repeat yourself (or Fleming or Gardner or the films). I envy his job...and I don't envy it at the same time.

#4 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:46 PM

When this book came out, I though it sounded like a good book, but reading this, I might not even buy it! I dunno, I usualy go with other people's opinions, so thanks for warning us guys. BTW Zencat, one more post and your total matches this year! A belated congrats on getting to 2000!

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:51 PM

You should read the reviews of the book (including mine) when the main page come back online, Carver. They might help change your mind.

And, as a Bond fan, you should still buy the book to support the literary Bond. (I know I'm going to get slammed for this.)

Thanks for the congrats! :)

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:56 PM

I know I should support the literary Bond, but I'm not a rich person, and there are loads of books. I'll only get ones that stand out to me.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 10:01 PM

I'll tell you what, Carver, if you send me your address I'll buy you copy of the paperback when it comes out. How does that sound?

#8 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 10:50 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Benson has done six books and three novelizations back to back and I find that amazing. Gardner took a year break after only 4 books.  

Not to take anything away from Benson, Zencat, but you may find this interesting (Indeed, you may have heard it already).
John Creasy, creator of 'The Baron', is believed to have authored five hundred novels in his career!
Lots of well known writers are able to match Benson's output and still produce quality work.

Incidentally, wasn't Gardner researching and writing his 'Secret Generations' series on top of his Bond duties?

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 11:07 PM

What I find amazing is that he could come up with new Bond ideas and characters year after year. I mean, how many ways can you steal a nuke. :) But your point is well made. Look at Louis L'Amour? Didn't he write like...5000 books in his career? And Stephan King. Man, that guy doesn

#10 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 02:05 AM

Interesting point, Roebuck. However, was John Creasy writing original books based on his own characters? Or books with a huge fan base? Or a series of books based on one central character? It's a hell of a lot easier writing a book in which you have total creative control and when you have no set "rules."

Benson has a lot of things to take into consideration when writing his books. He's got an established fan base that he has to please. He's certainly got more pressure on him than any other writer out there today.

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 02:58 AM

Well, different authors take different amounts of time, et cetera, so it's not fair to say Benson should be able to write five high-quality books/year! Fleming had no plots he couldn't use, and thus it was somewhat easier, but Benson ought to be given more time to write. I mean there's a small fan-based market for the books nowadays anyway, so why not at least let him have time to write quality stuff? Glidrose, in my opinion, is not trying very hard to put out a good product.

Also, does anyone else think that neither Benson, nor Gardner, 'tried' when writing their novelisations? Hopefully Die Another Day will change that.

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:33 AM

the secret to writing is dedication...that's how some of these guys can write so much, they sit down and just keep at it, me I just take too many breaks....
I respect Benson, it is hard to think of new ways to take over the world and I found TMWTRT to be pretty creative and straightforward...Kappa was a cool character, but just cause he's a midget doesn't mean he's a rip off of Nick Nack....cause then you could never have a bald villain, cause that's a rip off of Blofeld...

#13 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 03:13 PM

Being dedicated is so true, and nobody can deny that Benson is not dedicated. But seriously, as much as the formula is expected, surely there are other ideas and plots that can be created that have a fresh slant on the genre. The pressure on benson is too great, consequently his novels are missing the fresh hard edge that is needed to ensure that he is one day accepted fully as a worthy successor to Fleming and Gardner. Its a shame that Amis didn't write more, and Christopher Wood's couple of 007 outings are at least on aparr if not a little better than some of Benson's books.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 03:30 PM

Originally posted by scaramanga1
Being dedicated is so true, and nobody can deny that Benson is not dedicated. But seriously, as much as the formula is expected, surely there are other ideas and plots that can be created that have a fresh slant on the genre.

I think Benson did give us a fresh slant on the formula with HIGH TIME TO KILL and even DOUBLESHOT. But then he was slammed by fans who didn't like that he went outside of the "rules" of Bond.

#15 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 03:44 PM

I must confess, I haven't read HTTK and Doubleshot, but will at some stage, however I still think Benson is a very average writer, and can only hope that as he continues to write, and his experience grows, that he will improve. The trouble is - will he ever stepdown? Being chairman of IFF, puts him in a strong position, so many other talented writers are being given no chance to show him how it should be done.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:02 PM

You should really read HTTK. It's a terrific Bond book and I think you will appreciate how Benson twists the formula.

You think Benson is using his IFF power (?) to remain in the author's seat?

Listen guys, the ONLY reason we have Bond books is because Benson is writing them. That's what people don't seem to understand. These books make no money for anyone. Benson does them as a labor of love and Glidrose publishes them to extend their Bond copyright. Period. There is no

#17 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:11 PM

You may say that, but somebody I know wrote a Bond novel and approached Glidrose - and they told him that there was only one Bond writer and that is Benson. They didn't even look at the novel. which is a shame because its very good, and really deserves to be published. The attention to detail in it is very Flemingesque. Also despite the Bond franchise being huge, you can't really say that the Benson books are Bestsellers. Here in Manchester its quite hard to find a Benson novel, generally you have to order them, and that is also a shame as many people are still unaware that there are James Bond novels available other than the ones written by Fleming!

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:19 PM

I agree with you that it's a shame the books are printed in such small print runs and not promoted. You're right, most people aren't even aware there are Bond books out there. But what I told you are the facts. Just because there are people out there who WANT to write Bond novels doesn't mean Glidrose wants to continue. What did your friend think Glidrose was going to say? "Oh, thank goodness, we've been waiting for a replacement!" The literary Bond is being kept alive by Benson's dedication and fan support and that's why I always go off the rails when fans so cavalierly bash Benson and his books (which I still contend are excellent).

#19 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:28 PM

Well perhaps not quite like that, but they could have been a little more civil, and opens to future possibilities, I mean at least by looking at what other writers have in mind, and keeping options open for a successor is good business sense. I mean heaven forbid, but say Benson got knocked over crossing the road tomorrow, then there'd be a panic to find a suitable replacement. After all, no doubt there'd be the opinion that in the memory of his (Benson's) life 007 novels should still be written. After all it was in hommage to fleming that Gardner was asked to take over.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:52 PM

You're right...and I hope Glidrose is looking to the future as well. I'd like to see Benson do several more, then I'd like to see a new novelist come in or maybe rotating novelists like the Star Wars books. One of those could be your friend

#21 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:04 PM

[quote]Originally posted by zencat
When Benson leaves I have a very real fear that that will be the end of the literary Bond so let

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Roebuck
He's one of the world's most famous literary characters for goodness sake. There must be countless authors who wouldn't mind taking a shot at the job.

I agree. I've always had the fantasy of rotating famous authors, each doing one Bond book for the fun and not for the money (because Glidders won't pay). Imagine a Tom Clancy Bond book, a Dick Francis Bond book, a Stephan King Bond book (!?). This would be great.

#23 jetsetwilly

jetsetwilly

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 06:02 PM

I said it on the AJBF, and I'll say it again: I buy all sorts of rubbish because it's got 007 on it, toys, postcards, chocolate bars. But I stopped buying Benson after High Time To Kill because it was uninspired dross. Benson can't write for toffee; his characters are uninspired, his plots are derivative and his constant references to Fleming's characters and situations are irritating. I have all of Fleming and Gardners novels, plus Colonel Sun and James Bond - The Spy Who Loved Me. I had the books long before I had the videos. I can even get 25% off the cover price of the Bensons, thanks to staff discount at the bookstore where I work. But I refuse to buy them, because that's what Glidrose are counting on - Bond fans buying any old tripe. If we make a stand, maybe we can have a new Bond novel worth reading once more.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 06:42 PM

Originally posted by jetsetwilly
But I refuse to buy them, because that's what Glidrose are counting on - Bond fans buying any old tripe.  If we make a stand, maybe we can have a new Bond novel worth reading once more.

I give up.:mad:

#25 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 06:57 PM

As far as many are concerned Zencat, your argument of having no Bond novels at all without Benson is no incentive to buy his stuff, as as far as they are concerned, with Benson there are no Bond novels. Many think them too bad to read. No Bond books = Benson writing the Bond books. You see? I'm not saying I support this as obviously many people do enjoy them (and I can never stop myself from renting it from the library; I'm just an eternal optimist I suppose). So you see to many the argument of having no Bond novels in the future is no argument at all as they have no new Bond novels (worth reading) now.

Personally I'd like to see them dump the hardbacks (treating as it a great literary event is a bit silly), get a range of authors (unknowns isn't a bad thing) and do a few a year in a pulpy range. Or even just novellas.
Check out the enormously successful but also highly original and well-written Doctor Who range if you don't believe me. There's even one to read online at the BBC's official site, called 'The Dying Days'.

#26 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 07:00 PM

if you don't buy it then Glidrose will stop making the stuff and you will NEVER get another Bond book by anybody...whether you think Benson is rubbish or not, supporting him supports the Bond novels and their continuation...it's like boycotting the films because you don't like Dalton or Moore, well then they lose money and stop making them and you never get a new guy in to play the part.....I'm with zencat on this...and I think it would be great if we got some people in at Glidrose who really cared about the project
part of the reason Star Trek books have opened themselves up to fan writing is because of the editors...they've got some great people working there that are fans, I've talked to them and they genuinely care about feedback...we need people like that at Glidrose, people who care about keeping their product afloat...

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 07:04 PM

Thank you rafterman.

#28 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 07:16 PM

Hey, I'm a Benson fan and want Bond books to keep coming...

#29 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 08:41 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I'll tell you what, Carver, if you send me your address I'll buy you copy of the paperback when it comes out. How does that sound?

Sure thing Zencat, how much would I owe ya? I bought NDOD today BTW, and I'm nearly finished on TND, so my knowledge on Literary Bond is increasing, with the Goldeneye novel coming soon, having been ordered for me.

#30 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 08:57 PM

Originally posted by scaramanga1
You may say that, but somebody I know wrote a Bond novel and approached Glidrose - and they told him that there was only one Bond writer and that is Benson. They didn't even look at the novel. which is a shame  because its very good, and really deserves to be published. The attention to detail in it is very Flemingesque. Also despite the Bond franchise being huge, you can't really say that the Benson books are Bestsellers. Here in Manchester its quite hard to find a Benson novel, generally you have to order them, and that is also a shame as many people are still unaware that there are James Bond novels available other than the ones written by Fleming!

Did your friend approach Glidrose on his own or using a literary agent? If he did it by himself, then it's no wonder why he was turned down. Publishers and people like Glidrose refuse to even look at material that is just handed to them by someone off the street. Film and other companies are exactly the same way.