Iron Man (2008)

231 replies to this topic

#61 George Lazenby

George Lazenby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

I've still got hope's for the film. Regardless of Total Film's Review.

#62 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

Still, it's something of a surprise that Downey has landed this sort of gig. Wasn't so long ago that he was considered totally washed-up, if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, I thought that was an inspired bit of casting. Downey was indeed a little...lost in the late 90's/early 2000's, but I think he's managed to bounce back recently and prove that he's a hell of an actor. Plus, given that Stark ended up with a serious alcohol problem in the comics, I think Downey can bring some firsthand experience in that respect to later films. I'm actually more excited to see the sequels, since Favreau has pretty much confirmed that Stark's alcoholism will be a factor in future Iron Man films; I'm interested to see how far they take that.

Still, I'll try to catch this when it comes out, but I won't lose sleep if I have to watch it on DVD instead.

#63 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:46 AM

I still think Iron Man will turn out to be one of the best summer movies this year:

1. Batman

2. Indiana Jones

3. Iron Man

100. The Incredible Hulk

Generally agree, w/ two adjustments:

Move Iron Man to number one spot (though I think Dark Knight will be great, it's always hard, but not impossible, to ramp out as a sequel); Indy will bat clean-up, unless there's some really well-kept secret surprise.

Add another "0" behind your number for Hulk. :tup:

#64 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

The trailer looks more like that Transformers trailer with all the graphics and picture. Sounds like a good movie though. :tup:

#65 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:11 AM

Move Iron Man to number one spot (though I think Dark Knight will be great, it's always hard, but not impossible, to ramp out as a sequel);

Typically superhero sequels do greater business than their predecessors, and THE DARK KNIGHT seems poised to really out-do BEGINS' take. BEGINS was relatively un-hyped, made barely any splash, only to rake in great numbers as the summer rolled along (and its DVD sales were through the roof).

As a result of the love for BEGINS, THE DARK KNIGHT's going to be a big smash, and, like BEGINS, will have serious legs.

Indy will bat clean-up, unless there's some really well-kept secret surprise.

Everyone and their grandmother will see INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL, which is why it will be a huge success. Nevermind that it's one of the most anticipated films of all time. IRON MAN just doesn't have the recognizability or widespread appeal that INDY does, which is why it will pull in lesser numbers.

IRON MAN is a franchise starter, which means that it will have to build its appeal. It'll be successful, but I wouldn't expect it to be the end-all, be-all of the summer. It'll come out in early May, make a splash, and then fade away as subsequent releases challenge its popularity. Each successive weekend we have a new much-anticipated film to steal away moviegoers: SPEED RACER, CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and then INDY IV.

#66 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Move Iron Man to number one spot (though I think Dark Knight will be great, it's always hard, but not impossible, to ramp out as a sequel);

Typically superhero sequels do greater business than their predecessors, and THE DARK KNIGHT seems poised to really out-do BEGINS' take. BEGINS was relatively un-hyped, made barely any splash, only to rake in great numbers as the summer rolled along (and its DVD sales were through the roof).

I really believe this as well...

#67 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Nope. I think the song's based on Ted Hughes' THE IRON MAN. That's what the lyrics suggest to me, anyway.

Thanks, Loomis. :tup:

#68 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Typically superhero sequels do greater business than their predecessors....

I really believe this as well...

Not that it's a terribly big deal, but I wasn't referring to box office receipts, but, rather, ranking the quality of the films, insofar as I'm anticipating them. Additionally, I'm "hoping" all are great.

#69 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Since it was announced Favreau was on board I've worried that his reverence for the source material might be the thing to sink Iron Man as a franchise. Doing an origin set in an ongoing conflict feels in dubious taste to me, and working through the prototype armours is going to serve the toymakers rather better than it serves the story. Thankfully the time wasting Nick Fury cameo appears to have been dropped. I've no idea how faithful Peter David's novelisation is to the final film but, it's distinctly light on action, which is the single thing I do expect from a comic book movie.

#70 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Not that it's a terribly big deal, but I wasn't referring to box office receipts, but, rather, ranking the quality of the films, insofar as I'm anticipating them.

You really think IRON MAN (standard, generic superhero shtick handled by a mediocre director) is going to beat THE DARK KNIGHT (edgy, unique, and bold superhero flick that discards many of the cliches of the genre as handled by a very talented director)?

#71 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Not that it's a terribly big deal, but I wasn't referring to box office receipts, but, rather, ranking the quality of the films, insofar as I'm anticipating them.

You really think IRON MAN (standard, generic superhero shtick handled by a mediocre director) is going to beat THE DARK KNIGHT (edgy, unique, and bold superhero flick that discards many of the cliches of the genre as handled by a very talented director)?

Yes.

My reasoning is the actor and the novelty of it. Mind you, this doesn't have to (and, indeed, does not) take away from The Dark Knight. While I felt the Ninja stuff was a little mis-places, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really liked that film; all the higher a bar when you consider what they were up against w/ a character that had been so done, so many times.

But back to the Iron Man versus Dark Knight question (which I'm only seeing as a "versus" based on the approach to "ranking" here), any disagreement you and I might have will probably end up in personal tastes. In the end, we have both; and I'll be at the theatre w/ my son for both.

#72 George Lazenby

George Lazenby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

I'll have to admit, i know it wont be has good has The Dark Knight but it'll bethe perfect Popcorn movie.

#73 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

There was an interesting story in the newspaper re Downey yesterday: how five years ago he went to a California beach, threw all his drugs in the ocean and sat down with a Burger King burger, convinced his career was kaput. Five years later, the article points out, we can go to BK and buy a Downey action hero toy.

I'll be going into this film with virgin eyes--I know nothing about the comic, next to nothing about the story line and I've seen no film clips except for a snatch on the tube. But I'm a sucker for underdog stories. And here we have one of our best actors, who'd self destructed big-time and blown chance after chance after chance...a just-maybe genius who'd been written off as unemployable...here he is with, I sure hope, his long-overdue breakout film.

Go, Downey!

#74 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

There was an interesting story in the newspaper re Downey yesterday: how five years ago he went to a California beach, threw all his drugs in the ocean and sat down with a Burger King burger, convinced his career was kaput. Five years later, the article points out, we can go to BK and buy a Downey action hero toy.... I'm a sucker for underdog stories. And here we have one of our best actors, who'd self destructed big-time and blown chance after chance after chance...a just-maybe genius who'd been written off as unemployable...here he is with, I sure hope, his long-overdue breakout film.

Go, Downey!

:tup: Read something similar about a month ago. Feel the same way you do, generally and specifically. Thanks for sharing this.

#75 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

I don't give a goot about the above-referenced review. And let me tell you why I don't. Generally, my instincts serve me well and I photo I saw has my little heart aflutter. It was fairly ordinary shot of Downey being painstakingly fitted into a part of his Iron Man suit. Really, just a piece of it. My guess is, the process took him hours every day. What got me in the photo, though, was the look on Downey's face in this probably damn dull procedure. He appears totally focused... and quietly having the time of his life. No posing for photographers. No sign of a great actor slumming. Portrait of the artist completely committed to digging being in the zone...and grooving on this sensational chance.

Once again: Go, Downey!

#76 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm certainly not going to be seeing IRON MAN unless the reviews are absolutely sensational, and I'm more or less locked in for THE DARK KNIGHT.... but why dismiss the possibility that IRON MAN may be the superior film? And it does, of course, remain to be seen how edgy, unique and bold THE DARK KNIGHT will be, and how many cliches of the genre it will discard.

#77 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Downey and Favreau make me much more interested in Iron Man than Dark Knight. I'm sure Bats'll be fine, but Begins didn't set my world alight- good in a post-pub sort of way. I'll see both, but I'm more excited by Iron Man (Although I haven't really been awaiting either wih baited breath).

#78 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm certainly not going to be seeing IRON MAN unless the reviews are absolutely sensational, and I'm more or less locked in for THE DARK KNIGHT.... but why dismiss the possibility that IRON MAN may be the superior film?

I'm not, actually. I was just confused as to why someone would think that, on paper, IRON MAN looks set to be the better of the two and was asking for an explanation. In my mind, THE DARK KNIGHT has so much more going for it.

And it does, of course, remain to be seen how edgy, unique and bold THE DARK KNIGHT will be, and how many cliches of the genre it will discard.

I could give you a list of the common cliches that THE DARK KNIGHT avoids just from what I know about the film right now. Now, that doesn't mean the film will be good, necessarily, but it does mean that it's breaking away from the basic formula of things (which BEGINS was more or less constrained to, and worse off for it).

#79 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm not, actually. I was just confused as to why someone would think that, on paper, IRON MAN looks set to be the better of the two. In my mind, THE DARK KNIGHT has so much more going for it.

Well, sure it does, on paper. On paper, NOTES ON A SCANDAL is a better film than Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN, but I actually find the latter a superior flick. Not just a more entertaining one, mind you, but a better-crafted piece of work.

I could give you a list of the common cliches that THE DARK KNIGHT avoids just from what I know about the film right now.

Please do. I'd like to read it.

#80 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Silly question I know, but this is something I would like answered. Is Black Sabbath's Iron Man played in the film itself? That would just be the icing on the cake :tup:

#81 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

Silly question I know, but this is something I would like answered. Is Black Sabbath's Iron Man played in the film itself? That would just be the icing on the cake :tup:

I'm rather hoping that myself :tup:

#82 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

The fanboys reaction to this I'm gonna take more than Empire's & TF's, everyone AIC is beaming about this and the reviews do seem more like 4 star reviews, maybe their taking it carefully especially Empire

They got burned on the SW prequel reviews and had to do a Uturn on the first 2 after gving tham both 5 star reviews if I remember. Maybe if DK doesn't quite merit a 5 star review then having it at the same mark as IM would put them in an awkward spot.

Superman returns got 5 stars and Begins & Royale only 4 and they were definitley less flawed than Returns which incidently I like and expect more from Singer with Man of Steel. Empire's reviews ahve always been a little questionable.

I've got my ticket for Iron Man and can't wait, RDJ's casting was always gonna be smart one, you just can't cast anybody in a comic book hereo and villain role these days and Singer proved that with the Xmen and Nolan followed suit with Begins.

I expect an enjoyable blast, i don't expect the depth or complextiy of DK, I'll wait for the sequel for that. It's certainly kicking off one of the best summers in sometime, what with Indy 4, Hulk and of course DK, we've never had it so good, I hope!

Edited by bond 16.05.72, 30 April 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#83 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

I still think Iron Man will turn out to be one of the best summer movies this year:

1. Batman

2. Indiana Jones

3. Iron Man

100. The Incredible Hulk

Generally agree, w/ two adjustments:

Move Iron Man to number one spot (though I think Dark Knight will be great, it's always hard, but not impossible, to ramp out as a sequel); Indy will bat clean-up, unless there's some really well-kept secret surprise.

Add another "0" behind your number for Hulk. :tup:

The new Hulk trailor is pretty badass!

http://www.apple.com...ulk/medium.html

I'd revise your list...

#84 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

I think the new HULK trailer starts off strong and then turns into mediocrity as soon as that poor CGI Hulk appears. Doesn't seem to have any energy or drive to it, and Norton is clearly phoning the whole thing in.

It all has a been-there, done-that quality after Lee's film.

#85 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

I'm starting to revise my opinion about IM.

http://forums.millar...o...t=0&start=0

#86 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

I think the new HULK trailer starts off strong and then turns into mediocrity as soon as that poor CGI Hulk appears. Doesn't seem to have any energy or drive to it, and Norton is clearly phoning the whole thing in.

I disagree. It feels like a Hulk story...this looks alot more interesting than the Ang Lee movie which was an interesting disaster at best(that ending, the Nolte character was too ridiculous).

#87 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:07 AM

The trailer did absoultely nothing to entice me at all. Boring all around.

#88 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:37 AM

If you see "Iron Man," stay through the end credits, because supposedly

Spoiler

#89 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

Going to see it today,can't wait.And as far as the Nick Fury rumor goes...
Spoiler

#90 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:55 AM

Saw Iron Man today. I had been pretty indifferent about the film prior to seeing it. I was pleasantly surprised-it's better than I thought. The only problem I have with the film is that, once Downey is sealed within the armor, CGI takes over. I think filmmakers are getting lazy with CGI. There is an actual suit of the Mk III "armor" but it is only used for close-ups, when Downey suits up, and a sequence that takes place towards the end.

By the way, that spoiler is correct.

Another film I'm indifferent towards is The Incredible Hulk. They aired a longer trailer before the film. Still indifferent. It would be nice to come away from that film being pleasantly surprised. We'll see.