231 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Check out the Iron Man trailer! It's surprisingly very funny and extremely awesome. :cooltongue: I wasn't too excited for it before but now I am! :angry:

I couldn't find another topic dedicated to this film so I apologize if there is one.

#2 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

I'm a huge comic book fan so i'm always up for a big screen adaption of one of my favorite Marvel/DC superheroes.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'm a huge comic book fan so i'm always up for a big screen adaption of one of my favorite Marvel/DC superheroes.

Did you like the trailer?

#4 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Why am I the only one that doesn't find this movie the least bit appealing?

Am I the only one tired of movies based on obscure comic-book heroes that are all practically the same?

Even Spider-Man bothers me. Go Batman and Superman.

#5 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

Did you like the trailer?

Yes,very much so

Am I the only one tired of movies based on obscure comic-book heroes that are all practically the same?

Even Spider-Man bothers me. Go Batman and Superman.

They're not obscure,Iron Man is very well known in the world of comic books.It helps if your a avid comic book reader though.

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

I think the trailer screams "generic action film" on pretty much all levels. Robert Downey, Jr. looks enjoyable enough, but nothing else about the film looks exceptionally well-handled.

I'll probably see it, but the real superhero movie to see in 2008 is THE DARK KNIGHT.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

I did create a thread a while back about Iron Man vs Bond, when Bond 22 was originally scheduled for a release May 2, 2008. I've been watching out for Iron Man since 2006 and I am a big fan of the comic from back in the day. Downey Jr is still an odd choice for me but at least I know his physique will not be an issue because of the armor-which looks incredible, btw. They really nailed it. The costume is so important for this movie to work as a live action and I think it looks awesome and techo-functionally easy to suspend my disbelief. The cast is also surprisingly classy. I was worried that this would be another Daredevil but everything I've seen indicates it will be one of the better Marvel movies(not too hard to do really).

So,consider me a huge fanboy for Iron Man

but nothing else about the film looks exceptionally well-handled

The armor(s) looks "exceptionally well-handled" to me. You disagree Harms? I think they really pulled it off.

#8 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:23 PM

They're not obscure,Iron Man is very well known in the world of comic books.It helps if your a avid comic book reader though.

While I've got a soft spot for Iron Man, the sales of his solo book are so low there's no real financial incentive for Marvel to keep publishing it. In terms of brand recognition I doubt the general public have a clue who he is.

#9 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

While I've got a soft spot for Iron Man, the sales of his solo book are so low there's no real financial incentive for Marvel to keep publishing it. In terms of brand recognition I doubt the general public have a clue who he is.

Well he's apart of The Avengers(a good selling comic) so that always keeps him in the spotlight and for anyone who has been keeping up with the comics knows that he's played a huge part in several storylines as of late.

#10 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

Looks pretty good. Not too sure about Downey's goatee, though...

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

This one is definitely a "wait and see" for me. Not really impressed yet.

#12 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:15 PM

The humor impressed me big time. I'm there opening night.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:11 AM

I was worried that this would be another Daredevil but everything I've seen indicates it will be one of the better Marvel movies(not too hard to do really).

It certainly looks like one of the better Marvel films, but I don't really think that's great praise, since I don't really like any of the Marvel films. Furthermore, I don't think this trailer really makes IRON MAN stand out from the rest of the Marvel group, and I wanted it to. It needs a style of its own, not the "generic action movie" feel that any Michael Bay movie has.

I wish they'd gone for something tonally different... perhaps a bit grittier.

The armor(s) looks "exceptionally well-handled" to me. You disagree Harms? I think they really pulled it off.

Okay, the armor looks pretty freaking good. I'll grant that. But the armor, while important, does not a good movie make.

I'm not that big on the humor in that trailer. It's okay, but it doesn't have me rolling in the aisles.

#14 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

As long as it's better then The Hulk i'll be happy.

#15 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:50 AM

As long as it's better then The Hulk i'll be happy.

THE HULK was disastrous. A pretentious mess of a film.

But I can't help admiring something about that project. Maybe it was Ang Lee's vision for the story, or the lovely cinematography and editing that really brought a comic book feel to the screen. But in the end, it's just one big failure.

#16 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

I was worried that this would be another Daredevil but everything I've seen indicates it will be one of the better Marvel movies(not too hard to do really).

It certainly looks like one of the better Marvel films, but I don't really think that's great praise, since I don't really like any of the Marvel films. Furthermore, I don't think this trailer really makes IRON MAN stand out from the rest of the Marvel group, and I wanted it to. It needs a style of its own, not the "generic action movie" feel that any Michael Bay movie has.

I wish they'd gone for something tonally different... perhaps a bit grittier.

Okay, the armor looks pretty freaking good. I'll grant that. But the armor, while important, does not a good movie make.

I'm not that big on the humor in that trailer. It's okay, but it doesn't have me rolling in the aisles.

The whole MySpace/gang sign bit is hilarious.

#17 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:27 AM

Funny? Sure. It was one of the moments I actually liked. Hilarious? Well, that depends on who you're talking to. It simply made me smile.

I'm not keen on the other bits of comedy in the trailer, though.

#18 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:13 AM

Saw the trailer, not impressed. Downey's Stark comes off as too much of an butthole. I'm guessing that after what happens he becomes a better person but I don't like it. He just doesn't come off as the handsome playboy that women would kill for.

The original grey armor looks clunky, which is understandable given what he had on hand to build with. The traditional red & gold looks like total cgi, which gets old. If they could build a suit of armor for Robocop, they can do the same here. I'm sure Downey will just voice the cgi armor.

#19 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:19 AM

Saw the trailer, not impressed. Downey's Stark comes off as too much of an butthole. I'm guessing that after what happens he becomes a better person but I don't like it. He just doesn't come off as the handsome playboy that women would kill for.

The original grey armor looks clunky, which is understandable given what he had on hand to build with. The traditional red & gold looks like total cgi, which gets old. If they could build a suit of armor for Robocop, they can do the same here. I'm sure Downey will just voice the cgi armor.

The character of Tony Stark in the comics at times can be pretty much a :cooltongue: and a rather unpleasent person so i like the way they have him seem in the trailer as far as the grey armor goes i think it fits perfectly to the original armor in the book as that too was very clunky.

Posted Image

It would have been awesome if they had went with my favorite Ironman look.

Posted Image

#20 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:24 AM

Saw the trailer, not impressed. Downey's Stark comes off as too much of an butthole.

That is true to his character. Tony Stark is something of a bastard. What I don't quite like is that he doesn't come across as a real person to me, save for that one instance in the military truck. His dialogue just doesn't feel very natural, nor does the character seem quite beliveable enough.

The traditional red & gold looks like total cgi, which gets old. If they could build a suit of armor for Robocop, they can do the same here. I'm sure Downey will just voice the cgi armor.

Uh, that suit's real. That's why it's so darn impressive.

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:12 AM

Well, you're not. I've absolutely no interest in seeing this film.

As far as I'm concerned, next year's franchise viewing will be limited to JOHN RAMBO, INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL, BOND 22 and just possibly THE DARK KNIGHT and STAR TREK. I don't like much, but I know what I like.

#22 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

As far as I'm concerned, next year's franchise viewing will be limited to JOHN RAMBO, INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL, BOND 22 and just possibly THE DARK KNIGHT and STAR TREK. I don't like much, but I know what I like.

Yeah count me out on this. Hell, count me out on any more comic book movies, unless they make a follow-up to Superman Returns. But regarding superhero films in general, how many more nonsensical fight scenes between two CGI creations can we stomach? I think the market is waaay oversaturated with this crap right now, to the point where they're dusting off the C-list characters for the big screen; I see Matthew Vaughn will be directing Thor!
Hmm well no that's not quite fair, my interest is piqued somewhat by The Incredible Hulk, though that's mostly due to the cast, I'll have to see a trailer for that one, and I am raising an eyebrow of interest towards Punisher : War Zone because of the almost absurdly cool casting of Ray Stevenson, who could well be the Daniel Craig to Tom Jane's Pierce Brosnan.

#23 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Yeah count me out on this. Hell, count me out on any more comic book movies, unless they make a follow-up to Superman Returns. But regarding superhero films in general, how many more nonsensical fight scenes between two CGI creations can we stomach? I think the market is waaay oversaturated with this crap right now, to the point where they're dusting off the C-list characters for the big screen; I see Matthew Vaughn will be directing Thor!
Hmm well no that's not quite fair, my interest is piqued somewhat by The Incredible Hulk, though that's mostly due to the cast, I'll have to see a trailer for that one, and I am raising an eyebrow of interest towards Punisher : War Zone because of the almost absurdly cool casting of Ray Stevenson, who could well be the Daniel Craig to Tom Jane's Pierce Brosnan.

I'd hardly call Ironman & Thor C list characters as they've been very well known and important to several big storylines in comics for years.It's funny that you mention Superman Returns though as i found that to be one of the most boring slow paced superhero films ever made.

#24 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

Eh, Iron Man and Thor are certainly c-list superheroes. They're known well among comic readers, but they're not exactly hugely popular in a broad sense. They're not really obscure, but they're not top-tier. I have to admit, I don't really like either of 'em. But I'm not keen on MARVEL comics, period.

#25 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:45 PM

I'd hardly call Ironman & Thor C list characters as they've been very well known and important to several big storylines in comics for years.It's funny that you mention Superman Returns though as i found that to be one of the most boring slow paced superhero films ever made.

Fair enough, but I suppose one man's "boring slow paced" is another man's "rich in character development and emotion with action scenes that serve the story, not the other way round". Spider-man 2 is a movie that aspired to be this, but ended up being laughable soap opera level drama. Anyway, well of course if you are a person who reads comics, you'll know who Thor and Iron Man are, but I'm talking about the general public, who probably are aware of comic characters in this way :

You've got your A-list of superheroes. The ones everyone and their granny knows about, i.e. Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Hulk, and a couple of others.

Then you've got the B-list. Average Joe probably doesn't know them. They would be characters who are sort of recognizable for a unique feature, like Ghost Rider's flaming skull or the Punisher's skull shirt. They might have had a videogame or two about them, with a graphic novel maybe available at Barnes & Noble shoved in between all the Spider-man stuff.

Then you've got the rest, that only comic book fans know about. Iron Man and Thor I'd definitely put in this category, as they've just never crossed over into anything else. If anyone sees the Iron Man movie it'll be because it looks cool, not because of a massive fanbase showing up.

#26 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:21 AM

Fair enough, but I suppose one man's "boring slow paced" is another man's "rich in character development and emotion with action scenes that serve the story, not the other way round". Spider-man 2 is a movie that aspired to be this, but ended up being laughable soap opera level drama. Anyway, well of course if you are a person who reads comics, you'll know who Thor and Iron Man are, but I'm talking about the general public, who probably are aware of comic characters in this way :

You've got your A-list of superheroes. The ones everyone and their granny knows about, i.e. Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Hulk, and a couple of others.

Then you've got the B-list. Average Joe probably doesn't know them. They would be characters who are sort of recognizable for a unique feature, like Ghost Rider's flaming skull or the Punisher's skull shirt. They might have had a videogame or two about them, with a graphic novel maybe available at Barnes & Noble shoved in between all the Spider-man stuff.

Then you've got the rest, that only comic book fans know about. Iron Man and Thor I'd definitely put in this category, as they've just never crossed over into anything else. If anyone sees the Iron Man movie it'll be because it looks cool, not because of a massive fanbase showing up.

Speaking as someone who has read comic books for over twenty years i can see and understand your points but i must disagree with some of the examples you used such as Ghost Rider & Punisher.I'd surely put Iron Man ahead of them when it comes to popularity and recognizability.As far as the actual comics go i prefer Marvel.All DC has going for them is The Flash & The Green Lantern,two commodities they have yet to use properly.

#27 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:44 AM

Uh, unless you have proof, I'm sticking to my original assessment of the red & gold suit. It's certainly cgi in the flying scenes.

#28 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:00 AM

All DC has going for them is The Flash & The Green Lantern,two commodities they have yet to use properly.

They do have Batman and Superman, the two most iconic (and best, IMO) comic book characters. And I do think there are some real gems among the lesser-known characters in DC. Green Arrow, for one.

What I love about DC is that they have a higher devotion to artistry and creativity in the storytelling, and aren't slavishly devoted to continuity. At DC, instead of following a linear story, we get hundreds of different interpretations on these iconic characters. The writers feel free to experiment with the characters as archetypes, and thus are able to provide some of the best pop art around (as it did with SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS, one of the best pieces of Americana ever produced).

Furthermore, it is DC that has many of the truly great properties of the comic book world. There's nothing of the genius of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN or Alan Moore's WATCHMEN on the Marvel side of the map.

Uh, unless you have proof, I'm sticking to my original assessment of the red & gold suit.

What do you mean as "proof"? I saw video of them filming with the suit in the streets, if that's what you mean. And that's on top of the comments from the creative team, as well as the photos that have been released. The Iron Man suit the real deal, and it's been one of the selling points to the comic-reading fanbase.

It's certainly cgi in the flying scenes.

Obviously.

#29 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:30 AM

What do you mean as "proof"?

A link to the video or to a website that has photos of the actual suit would suffice but, after reading your passionate rebuttal, I'll take your word for it.

#30 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:52 AM

All DC has going for them is The Flash & The Green Lantern,two commodities they have yet to use properly.

They do have Batman and Superman, the two most iconic (and best, IMO) comic book characters. And I do think there are some real gems among the lesser-known characters in DC. Green Arrow, for one.

What I love about DC is that they have a higher devotion to artistry and creativity in the storytelling, and aren't slavishly devoted to continuity. At DC, instead of following a linear story, we get hundreds of different interpretations on these iconic characters. The writers feel free to experiment with the characters as archetypes, and thus are able to provide some of the best pop art around (as it did with SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS, one of the best pieces of Americana ever produced).

Furthermore, it is DC that has many of the truly great properties of the comic book world. There's nothing of the genius of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN or Alan Moore's WATCHMEN on the Marvel side of the map..

Superman is too one dimensional for me as a character.Personally i like
continuity DC has such a lack of continuity matter of fact that they are constantly having to have these major crisis storylines to try and clean up the history of there universes.I love DC but i prefer Marvel that much more.The one character i truely love in DC is The Flash and they haven't done a thing with that character in the media besides a tv show how many years ago? Superman & Batman may be there main two characters but i'd like to see maybe a Flash and or Green Lantern movie.Back to the continuity topic i think Marvel has plenty of different continuities/universes to give the reader a choice.There's of course the regular Marvel universe/there's the fantastic line of Ultimate comics that offers a new perspective on some of Marvels greatest characters and gives them a twist and there was also a great alternate universe called Marvel Zombies that even crossed over with Ash from the Evil Dead movies.

Posted Image