31 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:02 PM

A few years ago it was rumored there would be a new cut of Never Say Never Again on laser disc. I remember reading it in one of the Connery Bond books I have on my coffee table. Supposedly, the score would be replaced (Yay!), more scenes would be thrown in (Blofeld had a death scene!) and the film itself would not suck nearly as much. What does everyone think of this? I don't think it's going to happen now that MGM has the rights to it and don't really give a rat's *** about it. Seeing what they did to it on its initial DVD release was bad enough.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:06 PM

Sounds too good to be true.

My friends and I once played the OHMSS theme over the NSNA "pre-titles" sequence and it worked beautifully! A new score would do wonders for that film. Try it.

#3 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:12 PM

There's a lot I like about NSNA.
The cast for instance. And the opening sequence was a nice change of pace from the official series pre-title sequence (where they always seem to waste the films best stunt in the first ten minutes of it's running time).
I always wondered why EON never put Bond on a Q branch motorcycle.
Seems to me someone was bound to have suggested it before NSNA.

If there was a 'Special Edition' DVD I'd definitely be up for it.

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:15 PM

maybe they can go back and make the film better :)

#5 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 01:58 PM

Doing more reading about Never Say Never Again last night and I kept hearing about how Kirshner and his indecisiveness made the budget go over by quite a bit. He'd change his mind quite a bit and he really screwed the pooch quite badly. Also, did a lot of you know that Connery did NOT want James Horner as the composer as everyone else wanted. That is how we got LeGrand for the score.

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:41 PM

Connery must have no taste in music....Horner would have been good for the film...

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:04 PM

Listening to the Beatles without earmuffs would have been better than what they had for the music.

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:39 PM

Maybe this'll give them a chance to make Connery look younger.:) Actually, it's been awhile since I've seen this one again. I thought Rowan Atkinson was quite funny in it. He was one of the few things that made the film okay. Still, I wouldn't mind checking it out if it ever did happen.

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:47 PM

If they can make Hopkins look younger for Red Dragon, why not go for the 1964 era Bond for Never Say...?

#10 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:49 PM

I wish you could do that... How good would it be, Bogart would be making films still, and Grant, Gable.... It'd be a lot of fun...

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:47 PM

I read about the deleted death scene of Blofeld.
His cat supposedly had poisoned claws and when Blofeld lifted it awkwardly it pricked him and he had a slow painful death scene.

I think the main reason it was cut was:
a) How do you give a cat poisoned claws. The only way I can think of is use the poison like nail varnish

:) If it was poisoned why would he hold it? And why had he not died many years previously?

A new NSNA would be sweet! The score sucks major ***** and definitely needs a revamp.
I believe that at one time, Conti and Barry were bothe approached to do it originally.

It'd be great if they could give it a gun-barrel, Bond score and the all the things the official ones have. That'd make it a fully official film!

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 02:11 PM

the music sounds like it should be in a pørno film...

#13 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 01:55 PM

If Kim Basinger or Barbara Carrera were in a pørno film with that score....oh, sorry, my mind was elsewhere.

#14 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 12:37 PM

Apparently there was meant to be a pre-title sequence at some medieval event with knights and jousting and one of the knights being Bond. Then there was supposed to be a chase across a car park on horses. That might've been interesting.

What did the DVD do to NSNA? How did it butcher it?

If the credits were removed from over the training sequence at the start of NSNA and allowed to play as normal until Bond gets stabbed, that could be a pre-title sequence. At the point when he gets the knife, a new title sequence with the song could be inserted in.

#15 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Welshcat

What did the DVD do to NSNA? How did it butcher it?

Well, its since been recalled and the problem was corrected, so theres little chance of finding one of those "butchered" discs now. Anways, the scene where Bond uses his famous introduction "Bond, James Bond" at the arcade was cut, people joked that it was MGM just being [censored]s, though thats not too hard to imagine :)

#16 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 07:58 PM

Was that just on Region 1 or on all regions?

I haven't really watched my NSNA DVD properly (I just bought it to complete my collection) so I haven't really noticed whether the Bond. James Bond line is in there or not. As far as I can recall, I don't even remember it being in the TV versions.

#17 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 09:31 PM

I seem to remember him saying "my name is Bond, James Bond" in the arcade, on the tv version. I even remember that it is one of the first lines they use when they've had previews of the film on ITV a few days before it's due to play.

#18 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 09:37 PM

Well, if you just recently bought the DVD, then chances are, you have the corrected DVD. The bad discs were all recalled rather quickly.

#19 cool guy

cool guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 06:14 PM

I bought the NSNA DVD recently and didn't bother to check the security sticker to see if it's the butchered one, becasue it's been a while and wouldn't think it would still be around, but it ended up to be the butchered!:mad:

#20 OHMSS

OHMSS

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 07:55 AM

A simple answer as to whether or not a special edition or director's cut version will ever see the light of day is a big fat NO.

The reason for this is simple. The movie is not very good and the only reason MGM put it on DVD is to appease completists who buy bad movies. They did a pretty bare bones transfer, no special features, unless you count the trailer (whoop dee doo!). The movie is out there so MGM doesn't have to field questions about its availability.

No Director's Cut will ever surface because MGM secretly want Never Say Never Again stricken for the Bond record. As far as they are concerned, if not for Sean Connery, this movie would have ZERO marketability. After years of legal battles to stop a competing franchise of Bond movies, MGM snapped up the rights to NSNA and flushed it down the toilet as a token of gratitude. That is why the packaging bears no resemblence to any of the other movies.

I must say that I was really disappointed to see that the Region 1 DVDs are just being reissued as-is without any new touches. Save a few deleted scenes on a couple of the DVDs, there are hours upon hours of deleted scenes, gag reels, screen tests, you name it. What I wouldn't give for a few days alone in the MGM vaults. Maybe some day that stuff will see the light of day.

#21 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 03:40 AM

Originally posted by rafterman
Connery must have no taste in music....Horner would have been good for the film...

Didn't Connery see The Wrath of Khan? If he did he would have known how good James Horner really is.

#22 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 03:21 PM

I still like the comment earlier about the score sounding like a pørn movie. The only time I drag out the soundtrack is to play the bit where Connery massages Basinger. It's worked countless times over the years as a great icebreaker for a few willing women.

#23 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 03:28 PM

I never liked NSNA. I have it on dvd though. I think its score is good and a fresh take on the usual scores. To remake Thunderball was never a good idea!

#24 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 04:08 PM

To remake The Man With The Golden Gun and
Moonraker...actually a very good idea! And Goldfinger? Wait, they already did that with A View To A Kill.

#25 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 01:42 AM

I saw a PM MAGAZINE segment on TV when NSNA was released. They showed a segment of the chase with Bond on the motorcyccle and had the James Bond theme playing in the background.

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:03 AM

I actually like NSNA, but since it's not part of the hallowed EON series I wouldn't care if I never saw it again. Connery IS fantastic, though.

In fact, I think he's far, far better in NSNA than he was in either YOLT or DAF.

#27 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 03:53 PM

I used to watch that movie 2-3 times a day in the summer back in the 80s when I had a huge crush on Kim Basinger. Now it's kind of dated, and really sucks actually. I like Connery in it better than he likes himself in it, I'm sure. Ugly production, so-so movie.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 06:42 PM

I love "Never Say Never Again" -- it's probably easily in my top 5 of Bond movies!

#29 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 07:48 PM

When you think about it, there's never really been a great many deleted scenes to see that weren't in the original Bond movies. I remember seeing three or four in the DAF DVD, but I can't think of any instances where I've seen them anywhere else. I suppose it's the old "Put every penny up on screen" motto shining through.

Oh, and I don't really care about seeing a new version of NSNA. It's a naff film with that's only worth watching when there's nothing else on because of Connery.

Oh, and I've never seen the big attraction in Kim Basinger.

#30 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Scottlee

Oh, and I don't really care about seeing a new version of NSNA. It's a naff film with that's only worth watching when there's nothing else on because of Connery.  

Oh, and I've never seen the big attraction in Kim Basinger.

Are you blind?? :) Seriously, she was a lot more interesting back in 1983, but I have to disagree with your assessment of NSNA, it's certainly better than the great majority of EON Bond films.