42 replies to this topic

#31 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

Oh, I think you are correct. Somewhat similar to those who would announce and brag about their military experiences. Very un-Bond.

I stand suitably chastised...In the future, I'll be sure to limit my comments to the number of bespoke suits I own, what brand of shoes I wear, and how many dresses I buy for my "traveling companions" when I'm staying at fancy hotels. :angry:

Back to the topic at hand...

Despite the general reports of his urbanity I'm sure he had his issues, as we all do, and maybe the fact that Bond is a bit, well, anally retentive about his tastes is Fleming slightly overegging the pudding in creating that sense of confidence.

Agreed, and I also think this refers perhaps to Fleming's "wish fulfillment." While some aspects of Bond were certainly modeled on himself, I'm sure others were more about who he wished he was...

Chastised? Good, just so you to know that I too can play the "some people here" game that you invoked earlier. As for the bespoke suits, shoes, watches, etc., you'll find plenty of us talking about about that here, including what we have in our personal collections. After all this IS a Bond site. However, I don't recall Bond being a wannabee Airborne Ranger, er I mean Recon Marine :cooltongue: A little inter-service rivalry never hurts. Eh? Okay, 'nuff said.

Back on topic: I do agree with you that much of what Fleming wrote on Bond he modeled after himself, and certain aspects of "wish fulfillment" with regards to the fictional scenarios of an MI-6 agent. However, I do not think this is true with respect to Bond being a wannabee when it comes to "class", nor Bond trying to achieve class via the purchase of quality goods that are expensive. When the literary Bond is reviewing his family coat-of-arms, he quite frankly does not appear impressed with the whole affair. In other words, I do not believe class consciousness, at least in the British sense, much mattered to Bond.

4A

#32 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

She rejected his attempt to control her by throwing it back at him with a tailored dinner jacket. A nice little "tit for tat" move on her part.

I don't think this was a "tit for tat" move on Vesper's part, considering that she had no idea that Bond had purchased a dress for her. Personally, I think that both Bond and Vesper tried to control each other.

When the literary Bond is reviewing his family coat-of-arms, he quite frankly does not appear impressed with the whole affair. In other words, I do not believe class consciousness, at least in the British sense, much mattered to Bond.

I don't think that class mattered very much to Craig's Bond. Remember . . . Vesper had guessed that he wore his Oxford suit out of disdain for those upper-class students who never failed to remind him that he didn't come from money. She never said anything about resentment on his part.

Edited by LadySylvia, 07 August 2007 - 12:25 AM.

#33 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

She rejected his attempt to control her by throwing it back at him with a tailored dinner jacket. A nice little "tit for tat" move on her part.

I don't think this was a "tit for tat" move on Vesper's part, considering that she had no idea that Bond had purchased a dress for her. Personally, I think that both Bond and Vesper tried to control each other.

When the literary Bond is reviewing his family coat-of-arms, he quite frankly does not appear impressed with the whole affair. In other words, I do not believe class consciousness, at least in the British sense, much mattered to Bond.

I don't think that class mattered very much to Craig's Bond. Remember . . . Vesper had guessed that he wore his Oxford suit out of disdain for those upper-class students who never failed to remind him that he didn't come from money. She never said anything about resentment on his part.

I agree on both counts. It's Vesper who brings up the class issue, not Bond. She's fishing.

4A

#34 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

True. I agree that they both tried to control one another, and both rejected the other's attempts at control . . . but played along with the dressing part because both of them had brought play clothes for one another. I have to wonder if Vesper would have worn the dress Bond brought for her, has she not brought a dinner jacket for him to wear. And vice versa. But with both of them wearing apparel chosen by the other, the playing field was comfortably leveled.

#35 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

Chastised? Good, just so you to know that I too can play the "some people here" game that you invoked earlier. As for the bespoke suits, shoes, watches, etc., you'll find plenty of us talking about about that here, including what we have in our personal collections. After all this IS a Bond site. However, I don't recall Bond being a wannabee Airborne Ranger, er I mean Recon Marine A little inter-service rivalry never hurts. Eh? Okay, 'nuff said.

Why, whatever do you mean, 4A? Did you think I was referring to you? That's kind of funny, and speaks to the confidence issue I mentioned earlier. Settle down, take a deep breath, and repeat: "I am somebody!" Good luck!

#36 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Chastised? Good, just so you to know that I too can play the "some people here" game that you invoked earlier. As for the bespoke suits, shoes, watches, etc., you'll find plenty of us talking about about that here, including what we have in our personal collections. After all this IS a Bond site. However, I don't recall Bond being a wannabee Airborne Ranger, er I mean Recon Marine A little inter-service rivalry never hurts. Eh? Okay, 'nuff said.

Why, whatever do you mean, 4A? Did you think I was referring to you? That's kind of funny, and speaks to the confidence issue I mentioned earlier. Settle down, take a deep breath, and repeat: "I am somebody!" Good luck!

Just can't let it go can you ernesto? Drop and knock out ten, if you still can. Or better yet, just drop. Now take a deep breath and say "I am nobody!"

#37 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Geez, touched a nerve, huh? Ah, well. I'll try to help. Check this out...

4A Help

Best of luck, amigo.

#38 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Geez, touched a nerve, huh? Ah, well. I'll try to help. Check this out...

4A Help

Best of luck, amigo.

Funny you should know about a site like that. Your therapist must have referred you to it. And just so this stops now, I've invited the mods here to control you, once again.

Good luck ernesto!

#39 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

Taking you ball and going home again, eh? You'll be missed. :cooltongue:

#40 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

Now Lads, having met you both, and taking into account all you've said, this seems to be a moment to sit back, make a Vesper and simply agree to disagree without getting snide...well...rather...too snide. Actually, Ernie and 4A, IMO, you aren't too different, but both experienced and opinionated and with a certain style that lends itself to Bond. To each their own.

So play nice or no more rocket launchers. :cooltongue:

#41 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

Let's keep the "Bond classy... or second-rate?" thread classy not second-rate.
That goes out to everyone.

#42 hi-jinx

hi-jinx

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Thats rich, coming from YOU!!!

You completely lowered the tone of this forum with your sleazy inuendo's about the DTBB goings on and your tarty pictures of lap dancers!!

But I don't wish to be snide Bryce, I am only giving a point of view which has been shared by a lot of people on this forum.

BOND IS CLAASY - he ooozes class - let's keep it that way, I dont wish to see him reduced to Austin Powers !!

#43 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

Thats rich, coming from YOU!!!

You completely lowered the tone of this forum with your sleazy inuendo's about the DTBB goings on and your tarty pictures of lap dancers!!

But I don't wish to be snide Bryce, I am only giving a point of view which has been shared by a lot of people on this forum.

BOND IS CLAASY - he ooozes class - let's keep it that way, I dont wish to see him reduced to Austin Powers !!

Actually THAT is rich, coming from YOU.

"Continuing a needless argument".

Consider yourself warned.