This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

James Bond To Return In 'Devil May Care' By Sebastian Faulks

181 replies to this topic

Poll: The title (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:55 PM

Can't wait to read a snippet (hopefully!) from this.

#152 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:44 AM

Here's to hoping the hardcover cover art mimics the hardcover artwork of Fleming's first editions, especially the Chopping designs.

#153 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

Here's to hoping the hardcover cover art mimics the hardcover artwork of Fleming's first editions, especially the Chopping designs.

I hope it they put some real artistic talent into it, and yeah.. as you said a Chopping sort of design would be great.

My mock up is based on Chopping.

http://www.k1bond007...an/DMC_mock.jpg

Not to say my art is any good :D The burned in bird? I just thought it looked cool, besides Chopping's Bond works always have a wood background... just seemed kind of logical... thus the extra wood burns too. I don't know. I had a cool 3D image of it awhile back on my blog.. seen here

#154 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:36 AM

I think it would be more or a surprise if DMC was NOT in the style of Chopping.

I'd put it as 100% certain.

#155 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

I hope it they put some real artistic talent into it, and yeah.. as you said a Chopping sort of design would be great.

My mock up is based on Chopping.

http://www.k1bond007...an/DMC_mock.jpg

Not to say my art is any good :D The burned in bird? I just thought it looked cool, besides Chopping's Bond works always have a wood background... just seemed kind of logical... thus the extra wood burns too. I don't know. I had a cool 3D image of it awhile back on my blog.. seen here

Oh, that looks awesome. :P

#156 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

Nice job, K1! If the book doesn't have that sort of cover I may just print off yours and glue it in place.

#157 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Huge Penguin 007 news!

New logo.

(Okay, maybe not so huge, but I need the hits. :D)

#158 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

Very nice. So is this likely to be used on the cover of DEVIL MAY CARE and in the promotional material, or is it impossible to say at this point? Where else will it/might it be used (e.g. future Higsons, Fleming reprints), and, basically, what the heck does it all mean?

Re: the Chopping issue, I'd prefer the DMC cover to be a case of bold new design rather than one of genuflecting at the past.

#159 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

Re: the Chopping issue, I'd prefer the DMC cover to be a case of bold new design rather than one of genuflecting at the past.

So, when it comes to this issue, you're devil-may-care? :D

#160 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

Usually I'd agree as I'm all for moving forward, but DMC is a celebratory book written in the style of Fleming, so I'd say that in this case a Chopping-esque is entirely appropriate.

#161 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

Usually I'd agree as I'm all for moving forward, but DMC is a celebratory book written in the style of Fleming, so I'd say that in this case a Chopping-esque is entirely appropriate.

This is exactly my feeling.

#162 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:43 AM

Huge Penguin 007 news!

New logo.

(Okay, maybe not so huge, but I need the hits. :D)

Nice, but I think I actually liked the older one a little bit more.

#163 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

Nice touch including DMC on the menu bar at the top of the page.

Very thoughtful.

#164 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:00 AM

Only 147 days to go it seems...

#165 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

Which, I should add, is correct. I don't know if this is a glitch because of the new year, but Penguin 007's website is listing 178 days which is sometime in June. June 28? Something got messed up with their countdown. That or they delayed DMC, which I highly highly highly highly doubt.

:D

#166 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

Which, I should add, is correct. I don't know if this is a glitch because of the new year, but Penguin 007's website is listing 178 days which is sometime in June. June 28? Something got messed up with their countdown. That or they delayed DMC, which I highly highly highly highly doubt.

:D

I highly doubt that they would delay DMC as well. I sure hope that they don't, anyway. It sounds like an interesting concept, and this book should be the best of all of the Bond-related entertainment that is coming our way this year.

#167 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

(DEVIL MAY CARE) should be the best of all of the Bond-related entertainment that is coming our way this year.

Agreed. Although, unlike yourself, I'm also optimistic about BOND 22.

Small bit of positive DMC "news": it's mentioned in a piece in today's Sunday Times about "The Best of 2008", a preview of this year's major happenings in film, art, television, theatre, books and so on. Alongside brief snippets of info on new works by such literary superstars as J.G. Ballard, Peter Carey, Hanif Kureishi and Salman Rushdie, we're told that: "It's the centenary of Ian Fleming's birth, and to celebrate, here's a new James Bond novel - as written by Sebastian 'Birdsong' Faulks." (The films we're advised to look forward to are: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, SWEENEY TODD, THE SAVAGES, CLOVERFIELD, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, JUNO, MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS, IN BRUGES, SHINE A LIGHT, INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL and HOW TO LOSE FRIENDS & ALIENATE PEOPLE. That the likes of RAMBO have not made the list indicates that the article is aimed squarely at the middlebrow reader.)

Anyway, this tells us, I think, that DMC is being taken seriously by the culture vultures of this world and that it's shaping up to be quite an event outside Bond fandom. Only eight other novels are mentioned in the Sunday Times piece, and it's a paper that takes literature very, very seriously indeed (and tends to feature well-written and thought-provoking book reviews by authors and various representatives of the great and the good).

#168 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

Positive news indeed, Loomis!
Don't you think it's curious Bond 22 didn't make the list, when DMC made it?

#169 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

Good to also see THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, featuring Mathieu Amalric, on the list. Sounds like it may be an interesting watch.

#170 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Positive news indeed, Loomis!
Don't you think it's curious Bond 22 didn't make the list, when DMC made it?

I guess. I know that the point of this article isn't that there are only six novels, eight plays, thirteen films or whatever that are worth checking out this year, but I note that it mentions INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL but not BOND 22 or THE DARK KNIGHT. Still, when you consider the other flicks mentioned, it seems that CRYSTAL SKULL is there only because of some kind of blockbuster tokenism. "Oh, the new Indiana Jones might turn out to be quite fun and interesting in its way, and, let's face it, you know you're going to see it, but now let's get back to recommending a staple diet of serious and worthy arthouse fare."

I know it's nothing to take to the bank, but that Sunday Times piece gave me the feeling, for the first time, that DMC has a shot at being a real bestseller. We may be talking sales figures to dwarf all the post-Fleming Bond novels combined. Or maybe not. Still, I reckon it'll do pretty well, as I'm sure it deserves to.

#171 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

I agree :D

#172 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:20 AM

Here is an article regarding DMC:

http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

Interestingly, the article states
Spoiler

#173 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

I know that the point of this article isn't that there are only six novels, eight plays, thirteen films or whatever that are worth checking out this year, but I note that it mentions INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL but not BOND 22 or THE DARK KNIGHT. Still, when you consider the other flicks mentioned, it seems that CRYSTAL SKULL is there only because of some kind of blockbuster tokenism. "Oh, the new Indiana Jones might turn out to be quite fun and interesting in its way, and, let's face it, you know you're going to see it, but now let's get back to recommending a staple diet of serious and worthy arthouse fare."

I suspect Indy is on there because it's been so long since the last one. Whereas the other big genre pieces (QoS included) are follow-ups to comparatively recent flicks. My guess, anyway. But the fact that DMC is being regarded as an "event" is good news--let's hope the public is made fully aware of its coming as the date continues to approach!

#174 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

Videoclip with an interview of S. Faulks about DMC (apologies if it has already been posted elsewhere on the board, but after a quick search I didn't find it):
http://dailymotion.a...iler_shortfilms

#175 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

There are extracts in the Times beginning tomorrow.

#176 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

Really? Interesting. Cheers for the info. Will avoid them, though. I want to go into DEVIL MAY CARE cold as ice.

#177 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'm just glad Faulks hasn't said that the girl is different than all the others, and is more Bond's equal this time around.

#178 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

Really? Interesting. Cheers for the info. Will avoid them, though. I want to go into DEVIL MAY CARE cold as ice.

Yeah, there's a nice full page ad in today's Times with a sniperscope POV of a villainous baldy fella reading a copy of The Times with 'James Bond is Back' as the headline while a glamorous girl poses in front of him. Rather fun! :tup:

#179 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, there's a nice full page ad in today's Times with a sniperscope POV of a villainous baldy fella reading a copy of The Times with 'James Bond is Back' as the headline while a glamorous girl poses in front of him. Rather fun! :tup:

Can somebody put up a scan of this? Sounds cool.

#180 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

I'll see if I can't get my scanner hooked up.

In the meantime, look at this article on the Times website. There's a link on the front page called '007 Swings! Sex, drugs and spying in the new 007 novel' but the link doesn't work! How frustating.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/