33 replies to this topic

#1 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

One thing, and probably the only thing that bothers me about the film, is when Bond says "Whatever is left of me" and then Vesper touches his face and he says it again and finishes it off. It just feels ... I dunno, weird. It's like Daniel is correcting himself and they forgot to cut the first time out. Why didn't he just finish it the first time? Maybe it's because you don't normally get that in movies - the repeating of lines. Actors just say their lines and are done with it.

Anybody else feel it's weird, or is it just me? :cooltongue:

Edited by doubler83, 22 April 2007 - 01:55 PM.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:12 PM

I think he loves her so much, that he repeats himself to make sure she heard him. :cooltongue:

#3 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Maybe it's because you don't normally get that in movies - the repeating of lines. Actors just say their lines and are done with it.

And THAT'S what separates an immense tallent like Craig from the 'normal actors'. He was able to make the entire scene real.

Edited by HildebrandRarity, 22 April 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#4 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Well... yes. There's something weird with this scene.

I'm also not a big fan of Eva Green's line "James, if the only thing left of you was your smile and...". The 'conflicted' look she gives is a little too much.

#5 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

That scene was one of the most romantic I've seen in any movie. The openess, especially given the character, made it very moving for me. No games, no double intendres, just simple honesty. That directness made the scene.

#6 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Beautiful scene.

It was only a slight anomaly for me, as I was expecting to hear it as I did in the trailer. I agree with mharkin, Bond repeats to ensure he has Vesper's attention.

#7 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

Well, it's not as bad as, "you had me at hello" :cooltongue:

#8 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

I think the repeating of that line is rather purposeful and deftly executed. As I recall it, he's saying "Whatever is left of me" when Vesper begins to touch his face almost interrupting him with her attempt to comfort him. He therefore repeats what he was saying to make his point and then finishes his statement.

Tremendous scene, IMHO.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:30 PM

I think the repeating of that line is rather purposeful and deftly executed. As I recall it, he's saying "Whatever is left of me" when Vesper begins to touch his face almost interrupting him with her attempt to comfort him. He therefore repeats what he was saying to make his point and then finishes his statement.

Tremendous scene, IMHO.

Exactly.

#10 Bondfiend

Bondfiend

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

I honestly feel he repeated the line because he almost lost his nerve when saying it the first time, as if he was about to be overcome by emotion and had to say it again with more conviction and strength in his voice.

#11 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

You guys don't get it. He said it twice in one take by accident, and the director, editor(s) and producers never noticed that he said it twice. Nobody who saw any of the early cuts or preview screenings noticed it, either.

Boy, are they going to be embarrassed when they find out!

#12 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

You guys don't get it. He said it twice in one take by accident, and the director, editor(s) and producers never noticed that he said it twice. Nobody who saw any of the early cuts or preview screenings noticed it, either.

My goodness - what a silly mistake! :cooltongue:

I see it as a mixture of Bond almost losing his nerve and being overcome by emotion whilst saying it the first time, and being partly interrupted by Vesper touching his face. I think it works beautifully, its a really rare moment of detail which makes a nice change from the unrealistic fluidity of dialogue in films.

#13 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

lol very good.

One of the things I love about Craig is his ability to take lines that verge on cheesy, and really sell them. I also particularly like when he says "I wonder if that's why I love you"... No audience member dare snicker when Craig delivers these lines!

#14 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

As I recall it, he's saying "Whatever is left of me" when Vesper begins to touch his face almost interrupting him with her attempt to comfort him. He therefore repeats what he was saying to make his point and then finishes his statement.

That is exactly right. She is interrupting him - she doesn't know whether she wants to hear what he is going to say next (because she knows she doesn't deserve him).

#15 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

I wasn't expecting the repeat when I first saw the scene, but as soon as I heard it I felt it was appropriate and thought Dan did a fantastic job, as the line could indeed have been a cheesefest. But it wasn't! :cooltongue:

#16 Trip Aces313416

Trip Aces313416

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

when talking about vespers face, it looked more to me like she was holding back tears...maybe thats just me

#17 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

My goodness - what a silly mistake! :cooltongue:

I see it as a mixture of Bond almost losing his nerve and being overcome by emotion whilst saying it the first time, and being partly interrupted by Vesper touching his face. I think it works beautifully, its a really rare moment of detail which makes a nice change from the unrealistic fluidity of dialogue in films.

I totally with iexpectu2die. He is saying something that is extremely emotional, and he is getting a little choked up because its obvious he has never had these feelings before. Bond was just trying to collect his thoughts and make sure he said the right thing. The stop and restart reminds me of when I got engaged, it took me 2 tries to get it out!

#18 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

[mra]It is very simple. He repeats the line for emphasis to make sure he has Vesper

#19 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

I don't think he says it to make sure he's got Vesper's attention or to make sure she heard him. Of course she heard him, she's wrapped up in him. I believe he says, "Whatever is left of me..." twice because it's choking him up to say because of the overwhelming emotion he's feeling.

So... I'm totally with iexpectu2die and HawkEye007 on this one.

#20 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

I don't think he says it to make sure he's got Vesper's attention or to make sure she heard him. Of course she heard him, she's wrapped up in him. I believe he says, "Whatever is left of me..." twice because it's choking him up to say because of the overwhelming emotion he's feeling.

So... I'm totally with iexpectu2die and HawkEye007 on this one.

[mra]James Bond doesn

#21 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' post='730482' date='23 April 2007 - 09:24'][mra]It is very simple. He repeats the line for emphasis to make sure he has Vesper

#22 Blunt_Instrument

Blunt_Instrument

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

I always thought it was just his way of re-asserting what he was saying to her :cooltongue:

#23 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

I always skip to the next DVD chapter

#24 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:24 PM

That scene features some of my least favorite writing in the film, but Daniel is indeed able to sell it extremely well.

#25 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

She's also fighting whatever demons she has. A conflict of emotions between both that finds that moment.

Exactly. She knows she is betraying him. She is heartbroken because she has found a good man.

Her next line refers to the fact that he is more of a man than any other she has ever met. She regrets everything she has done at that point.

#26 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

I still think it was rather a ridiculous thing to say.

#27 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

People in love say some things that do sound pretty ridiculous in retrospect. :cooltongue:

#28 0024

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:01 AM

I thought the scene was great. I noticed that he did repeat the line, but I liked it. It felt rather natural. I bought it.

#29 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

Boy, people will complain about anything. It was a great scene. A defining moment in Bond's life. It was played by an actor who stands above the other excellent actors who have played bond.

However, I rather imagine that Laz could have sold the line also since he brought a lot of understated emotion to the role.

#30 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:58 AM

My take on the repeated line is to re-emphasise that the relatively light-weight banter conducted beforehand is over and that things are very serious now.

The first time he utters those words he thinks that Vesper may construe this as a slightly bawdy physical comment, so he repeats it with emphasis to prove that it refers to a more deep emotional appeal.