This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Timothy Dalton; Handsome? (For the girls especially)

64 replies to this topic

#31 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 05:31 PM

Timothy Dalton is a total sex symbol in England after his role as Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre. I've asked the female members of my family and they all say he's handsome - mostly they say he's the handsomest or 2nd to Connery. They also say he has a certain charisma and je nais sais quoi that makes him stand out above the rest. As for people magazine - what do they know? Why should anyone take any notice of them?
The best judges are those who actually fancy men, and so either women and gay men should have the final say, and I believe in an earlier post Xenobia said :

I would say Timothy Dalton is handsome in a gothic sort of way...which is lovely in my opinion.

And that's enough for me.

#32 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 06:32 PM

Er you evidently haven't read much of this board; if not then ask Xenobia who she thinks the handsomest Bond is, and it won't be TD :)

I think Dalton is quite good looking even if the chin does bother me, the eyes and voice make up for it. I'd rank him third in the Bond attractive stakes, well behind Connery and about a million miles behind Brosnan. But hey different strokes. :)

MBE

#33 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 06:48 PM

I've read all of this board and nobody has said that he was ugly in the least. It's all a matter of taste and there is no right or wrong answer - some find Sean the most handsome, some find Pierce the most handsome and some find Tim the most handsome. At least his chin isn't old, wrinkled and flabby like Moore's was.

#34 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 07:11 PM

theres a three letter word for men who discuss this sorta stuff. :)

#35 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 07:13 PM

What's that then Shocktroop22?

#36 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 11:18 PM

Ray!

That's the three letter word. Only guys called Ray discuss this sort of stuff :)

#37 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 09 August 2002 - 12:54 AM

Hey! Who called me!!!

#38 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 12:57 AM

There had to be a Ray didn't there :) Well there you go, he's in the discussion now :)

#39 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:29 AM

LOL! For the record...and prepare to faint some of you....

After Pierce, Timothy is the second most handsome Bond. And I'd rather see TD in a Bronteesque movie before Pierce.

But, for the record Bondpurist....I believe Pierce Brosnan is the greatest Bond because he is the perfect synthesis of the cinematic Bond and the literary Bond. I believe Dalton was the closest to the novels...but that wasn't enough for me. I appreciate the synthesis.

-- Xenobia

#40 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 01:39 PM

I'm not really keen on Dalton but he was quite good looking in TLD but Pierce Brosnan is in 1st place in my opinion.

#41 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 01:54 PM

I appreciate Xenobia's reasons for liking Pierce. I like him too - he provides a great compromise between the various Bonds - he has a bit of Connery in him, a generous heping of Moore, a dollop of Dalton and a large amount of his own interpretation - I prefer Bond to be nearest the literary Bond myself, and that is why I prefer Dalton, but I can see Brosnan's appeal.

#42 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:19 PM

I thought this thread was for all the women?.......where are they?

#43 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:56 PM

They don't seem to be particularly interested.

#44 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 05:55 PM

We are here don't worry about that.

#45 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 02:10 PM

Objectively speaking, if you got rid of Timothy Dalton's hair, he does bear some physical resemblance to Patrick Stewart, although his voice and personality is completely different. Women seem to like Patrick Stewart, even though he is bald, and far more than William Shatner as Captain Kirk. He was, I think, listed in the 50 most beautiful people at one time.

Given that women seem to like Patrick Stewart, a case could be made for them finding Timothy Dalton attractive, although I'd say that Patrick Stewart probably seems more gentlemanly whereas Dalton has a more rogish look.

#46 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 05:38 PM

Timothy Dalton does seem to play more roguish, cavalier roles - Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre, Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, Rhett Butler, and of course, ultimately, James Bond. Those parts are all handsome, charming, almost Byronic heroes. If he had of not been handsome he wouldn't of been chosen for those sort of roles - you're hardly going to cast an ugly man to play Heathcliff or Rochester, are you?

#47 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:12 PM

I think most of us girls forget how handsome Dalton can me. Take note ladies -- he was delicious in "Scarlett."

-- Xenobia

#48 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:23 PM

Well actually Rochester from the book is not a handsome man, in fact he's physically imposing and striking but not handsome at all. As for Dalton's performances in Jane Eye and Wuthering Heights, they're not his best.

Xenobia, re: Scarlett, I'd rather not think about that if you don't mind .... just awful...even though it was no Sextette... shudder.

Oh and I prefer Capt Kirk to Capt Picard, and would take Sisko before either of them. :)

#49 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:32 PM

MBE:

You have just boldly gone where I never thought you would go. I have no problem with taking Sisko over Jean Luc and James Tiberius...but Jim over Jean? Are....you....NUTS?

-- Xenobia

#50 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:38 PM

James Tiberius Kirk was FUN and yes sexy (and he looked great in the 60's), everyone on STTNG I find a complete and utter bore, including Jean Luc.... zzzzzz I much prefer Patrick Stewart as Sejanus in I Claudius... so evil and interesting.

#51 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 08:54 PM

"Handsome" to me is a multi-leveled word. There are some men, like Roger Moore, who are pretty. They have smooth, even faces, a little bland, and very handsome. They look like models. I have never been attracted to such men. Pierce in the era of Remington Steele was too pretty for my tastes; age has improved his looks a great deal. Cary Grant was pretty.

There are men who are prettyboys, too. The DiCaprios and Brad Pitts of the world. They are slender, handsome, sweet-faced, but androgynous. Not for me. Prettyboys should never play Bond, Bond has to be stronger, bigger.

Then there are men who are more masculine, more rugged. They look like men. Connery and Dalton are ruggedly good-looking, they have that testosterone thing. These are the men that I personally am most attracted to. Other attractive examples are George Clooney or Clark Gable.

Of the men who have played Bond, Dalton is the one most likely to get an invitation to breakfast. :)

#52 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 09:06 PM

As I am in no way attracted to males Im not sure who a woman would find attractive as Bond. But I could guess who they think is handsome.

From my point of view looking at females, I find there is personally a big difference between a girl who is good looking and a girl who is attractive. I have many a time been attracted to a girl who is less good looking than another girl. I like to be attracted to a girl and not just think oooh she's good looking.

Does this apply to everyone? Or would you prefer the good looking girl over the more 'attractive'?

#53 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 09:15 PM

Both :)

Seriously, the most strictly aesthically pleasing person could leave you completely cold and uninterested, and that of course goes for the reverse. If you're not attracted to someone, no matter how good looking they are then there isn't any point to being with them unless you just like to look and if there isn't an attraction even looking isn't as enjoyable.

Oh and Kara, PB was never merely "pretty" on Remington Steele, he was beautiful, still is, just in a different way. :) But agreed, he's grown into his looks and become more ruggedly handsome, but his features were too chiseled (especially that jawline) to ever be "pretty".

#54 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 26 September 2002 - 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
Oh and Kara, PB was never merely "pretty" on Remington Steele, he was beautiful, still is, just in a different way. :)  But agreed, he's grown into his looks and become more ruggedly handsome, but his features were too chiseled (especially that jawline) to ever be "pretty".

I totally agree with that, MBE! And as for TD he is handsome, especially nowadays with shorter hair. Just the other day I saw him in this ABC Family Channel Movie called "Time Share" and I thought Wow... He sure has come a long way from TLD and LTK! He looks kinda cute... He also looked real good in The King's Whore (The King's Mistress is the alternate title) back in 1990....:)

#55 BondChick007

BondChick007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 03:07 AM

I agree with you too MBE! As for Dalton, IMHO i don't think he's all that handsome. He isn't totally deprived of looks, but not my type. Can't really say why, maybe it's just me. For my list on the sexiest bonds it would have to go, Pierce by far, Connery, Moore, Dalton and then george.

#56 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 02:12 PM

Having just read Jane Eyre, I have realised that Dalton was physically miscast - Mr Rochester was actually quite ugly!!

#57 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 02:40 PM

Sounds to me like he was perfectly cast :)

#58 Jamie007

Jamie007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 11:49 AM

Im not gay, but theres nothing wrong with thinking a man is handsome or not. I think...
Anyway, heres who I would rank the best looking to worst looking Bond's:

1) Pierce Brosnan
2) Sean Connery
3) Timothy Dalton
4) George Lazenby
5) Roger Moore

#59 Countess Rigg

Countess Rigg

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:22 AM

Hi All... thought I'd weigh in on this rather wonderful discussion regarding Tim. I have to say that as a female, I think he was the most handsome and best looking of all the Bond's. Easily beats Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Lazenby.

As for his 'double-chin'... no that isn't what he has... it's a dimpled chin which is majorly different.

Anyway, for what it's worth, he was one very handsome, very good-looking and very simply the best Bond in all the important ways. :)

#60 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 09:33 PM

I have a category you have the rugged good manly man look which goes to Connery , Harrison Ford , Denzel washington. Drop dead gorgeous: Pierce Brosnan, colin firth, Shemar Moore.(I am showing some favortism him) Dalton, I can't say he's handsome, but he's attractive, and you do not necessarily have to be good looking to be attractive. The accent helps.