41 replies to this topic

#31 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:26 AM

Yes, in theory, we all agree about widescreen, but in CR case, we would like to see a comparison just to make out what kind of widescreen it is. I mean, some shots are more open, in the trailers, than the DVD release.

#32 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

Defintely widescreen... as said, it's how the film was originally framed and shot and represents the director's vision.

#33 Brock Samson

Brock Samson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

I often wonder whether the people who complain about the 'black bars' make the same complaint when they go to the cinema.

#34 thanasis

thanasis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

Widescreen all the way!

Btw i was on a British Airways flight back hom and got the chance to see the edited version of CR in the crappy tv screens they have on board.

A truly awful experience. The film is surely about 10-12 minutes shorter,as it has been edited for in flight viewing! LOL! The poker scenes, violent scenes, witty one liners are cut out. Even M's reference to the cold war is left out for some odd reason! Also as it in fullscreen you have the cam going back and forth in a few scenes and you clearly notice that you are missing out on the full picture!

#35 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

I can"t miss out any picture, my screen is full :cooltongue:

#36 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Id go with widescreen. Even though it is shot in Super 35 the fullscreen version is a panned and scanned job which means you can't see more image at the bottom of the frame but its one of the best pan and scan jobs I have ever seen, better than DAD. Like someone mentioned before about how they would have to pan from the right of the frame to the left in the train scene well this didn't happen. In this scene Vesper and bond are on opposite ends of the frame and usually they would pan from vesper to bond but this time they started with the frame on vesper but instead of panning they directly cutted to a frame on bond. The parts I saw of the fullscreen version on youtube and at K-mart ( the store played the whole movie on the TV displays) there was no panning that I noticed, I didn't see the whole thing but I did see the train scene.

#37 WhiteKnight2000

WhiteKnight2000

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

America is still big on 4:3 TVs I guess?

Europe is practically all 16:9 now. It's the future people. Embrace it.

#38 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

America is still big on 4:3 TVs I guess?

Europe is practically all 16:9 now. It's the future people. Embrace it.

I'd love to; but my dear wife insists that we continue to amortize my existing 4:3 SD CRT TV. :cooltongue:

#39 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

Widescreen. Well, out here in the sticks it, and, pretty much everything else, is only available on widescreen. But if I'd had the choice I would still have gone with widescreen.

Watching it on DVD, there were times where I would have (make sure you're sitting down) sacrificed the sides for a better look at what was going on in the middle. My TVs not hugmungorous, it's sort of "medium sized" (I don't know what it is in centimetres and I certainly don't know what it is in inches), but overall, nah.

Back in the day, when I didn't know any better, I didn't care and happily lapped up whatever was given to me. But since I found out "the truth" about widescreen and fullscreen, I haven't been able to go back to fullscreen. I just can't watch it knowing I'm not getting the whole picture.

#40 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

The titles in the fullscreen version are adapted or the widescreen's mantained ???

#41 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:48 AM

I buy all my movies on WiDeScReEn oops Widescreen. If available. Best way in my opinion. I used to hate it when I was young but now I like it.

#42 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

I often wonder whether the people who complain about the 'black bars' make the same complaint when they go to the cinema.

Why would they? There aren't any black bars at the cinema.