Craig's training program

48 replies to this topic

#1 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

I just love how fit Craig looks in CR! Does anybody know the training program he used?

#2 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

Can't remember the program itself, but there was an interview by his trainer in GQ magazine, the one with Craig on the cover, where he describes it.

#3 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

Can't remember the program itself, but there was an interview by his trainer in GQ magazine, the one with Craig on the cover, where he describes it.

Do you know what month that was? I guess I'll have to find some time to head to the library, as I missed that issue. :)

#4 lafemmefantome

lafemmefantome

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

Do you know what month that was? I guess I'll have to find some time to head to the library, as I missed that issue. :)

I think it was December. I have that issue.

lafemme

#5 English Agent

English Agent

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

.........i did have that magazine

seem to remember that DC was put on a high protein diet
for 3 months upto the films start, but then cut back
so he didn't look to bulky.
He mostly did weights during the weekdays, but had a rest
from his training at weekends.

#6 Rich_19

Rich_19

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

Steroids.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

Good old fashion push ups, sit ups(are free and can be done anywhere), pull ups, dips or any body weight resistence training combined with tread mill or running, cycling(ie cardio) will get you fit and looking good. Martial arts(wu shu) is my prefered method for fitness because it develops a skill and keeps your brain engaged so it's easier to stay on track because it's actually fun and a good social activity...and you get a good looking and a very functional body...I've been in 'weight trainer shape' and 'martial arts trainer shape' and there is no comparison.

#8 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:09 PM

Nice.

Will have too get a hold of a copy of that magazine. Which version is it, the US or UK?

Edited by Gere, 19 December 2006 - 04:14 PM.

#9 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

Whoever finds the routine Craig did, please post it ASAP. I am dying to know his regimen. All I know is his personal trainer was Simon Waterson, he went through a high protein diet, and that he trained 2 hours a day (even during the shooting).

#10 Odyssey

Odyssey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Here you go - most of the workout is described at this link: http://www.rodcollin...l-craig-workout

I've been following a similar workout for about a year now, which combines running, push ups, pull ups, dips and flies. With training for no more than 35 minutes a day (alternating between running and resistance training) it's been possible to stay in very trim shape and I'd highly recommend it. I was fit enough to go hiking in the Andes and climbing on a glacier in the Alps this year with no extra training, and the fact that you don't really need to use free weights makes the workout very cheap to run - and you can do it at home!

#11 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

What about lower body? Any squats or leg press?

#12 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

Here you go - most of the workout is described at this link: http://www.rodcollin...l-craig-workout

I've been following a similar workout for about a year now, which combines running, push ups, pull ups, dips and flies. With training for no more than 35 minutes a day (alternating between running and resistance training) it's been possible to stay in very trim shape and I'd highly recommend it. I was fit enough to go hiking in the Andes and climbing on a glacier in the Alps this year with no extra training, and the fact that you don't really need to use free weights makes the workout very cheap to run - and you can do it at home!

Very nice, thx!

Have to try this out

#13 Odyssey

Odyssey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

Glad to help!

Crheath - yes, I do combine the basic exercises with some squats, and arm curls too. These are the only two you should need weights for. On the other hand, if you're looking for athletic fitness rather than just bulk, I might suggest burpees (not that I'd want to wish them on anyone, they're horrible)

#14 lafemmefantome

lafemmefantome

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:09 PM

Nice.

Will have too get a hold of a copy of that magazine. Which version is it, the US or UK?

It was the UK version. I got it at a Border's Bookstore.

lafemme

#15 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

Nice.

It was the UK version. I got it at a Border's Bookstore.

lafemme

Roger!

#16 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

Glad to help!

Crheath - yes, I do combine the basic exercises with some squats, and arm curls too. These are the only two you should need weights for. On the other hand, if you're looking for athletic fitness rather than just bulk, I might suggest burpees (not that I'd want to wish them on anyone, they're horrible)

Thanks Odyssey. This is very helpful.

Edited by crheath, 19 December 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#17 Stephenson

Stephenson

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

I worked with a personal trainer for a while, and this is the routine he suggested. It is broken down into two phases; each phase is about six weeks long. Once you

#18 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, Stephenson, I also regularly visit Men's Health for all sorts of nutrition/fitness/weight loss info. It's one of the very best sites on the web. And they can thank us for the free advertising!

#19 Stephenson

Stephenson

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

Yes, it really is a great site. I've been using their Ab diet for about a year now and it's been very effective: no fads, just common sense (I will now wait for my check to arrive from the magazine!).

When I was doing a lot of climbing I also did yoga twice a week for stretching and flexibility. It was great in combination with the other exercises.

#20 moorebond82

moorebond82

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 1538 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

I think craig is a bit too ripped for bond actually.

#21 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

I think he's built well for the current time he's in as James Bond. Also, I think many of the actors we've had are under-ripped for what we've seen them be able to do. (Or their stuntmen, rather...)

#22 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

[Training program]

Nice! If I get the time I will try this program out. How effective would you say this program is, compare to a "normal" program?

#23 Stephenson

Stephenson

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

I found it extremely effective. When I was going to the gym regularly, I gained about 20 pounds of muscle, and dropped my body fat percentage down to 11% in about 4 months. Of course, a lot of it has to do with diet as well. I was also using a protein supplement.

In the second phase, I did a lot of the upper body exercises (bench press, military press, push ups, flyes and crunches) using the stability ball. You need to use less weight, but because you are trying to keep your balance while you are doing the exercise, you work a lot of smaller stabilizing muscles at the same time which really builds your core. If you go to a gym, you'll probably see a lot of guys pushing as much weight as they can as quickly as they can using the bench, but don't feel weird using less weight with the ball and going slower. It makes a big difference to the workout.

The circuit style of workout also gives you a cardio workout while your lifting weights. I used to wear my heart rate monitor while I was doing circuits to see the difference, and it was the same as if I was running at an medium pace on the treadmill.

I guess if I had any other tips they would be:
1. Really watch your diet, especially if you're over 30. I just kept it really simple, ate a lot of grilled meat and vegetables (instead of frying), only used olive oil, and kept starches like pasta, rice, bread and potatoes to a minimum (two or three meals a week and small servings). I also ate a large breakfast, a medium sized lunch and a small dinner early (before 7 pm), and stayed away from fast food and junk food. I mentioned the Ab diet to 0012 above, and I've found it works really well. You can find info about it at www.menshealth.com (There I go plugging that site again. Where the hell is my check?)

2. Start slow and easy. Your muscles will develop faster than the tendons, so if you try to use heavy weights too soon, you'll end up injured. I saw a lot of beginner climbers in gyms blow out the tendons in their fingers because their muscular strength allowed them to climb hard routes they weren't ready for. Also, you need to get used to the form for each exercise, which takes a little practice with lighter weights.

3. Keep the weight heavy enough so the last rep of each set is hard, but light enough that you can do the exercise slowly with proper form.

4. Try to add some other type of exercise into the mix. I started working out and taking yoga (for flexibility) and tai chi (for focus and balance) so I could climb better, but other people here have mentioned martial arts, which I've always wanted to try. It keeps it interesting and your body responds best when you change things up. At least, that's what I found.

5. Running as fast as you can for as long as you can doesn't really burn fat. It is much better to run at a slower pace. Most people burn fat most effectively when they exercise at approximately 60% of their max heart rate (between 120 and 140 beats per minute for a male in his mid twenties), which means running a lot slower than you think you need to.

Hope that helps and good luck!

#24 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

Man, I can belive you take the time to write this, thx! I realy find your tips heplful and will try this things. Today I'm working out at the gym like 2-3 times a week and focus on my upper body (arms, back, chest). The traing have give some result but I'm looking for something more and find your tips realy helpful! Once again, thanks! :)

#25 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:58 AM

Looks like you can add 'one-armed reverse push-up' to the workout! :)
http://evagreenweb.c...g...=251&pos=23

#26 Emma

Emma

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:16 AM

During his first scene on the beach, comming out of the water. His lats were huge. Obviously he must have cut back after that, because he doesn't bulge in his suit. I agree with you that Craig looked too big/ripped for Bond. I don't get how people say that Craig looks like the book Bond.

When I think of Flemming's Bond I think of Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan. Men who have a very 'patrician' look. Especially after hearing how he originally wanted Cary Grant or David Niven in the role. Craig is too fair and rough looking even if he does clean up well.

#27 Gere

Gere

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:09 PM

Looks like you can add 'one-armed reverse push-up' to the workout! :)
http://evagreenweb.c...g...=251&pos=23

Hehe, nice :P

Edited by Gere, 21 December 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#28 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

During his first scene on the beach, comming out of the water. His lats were huge. Obviously he must have cut back after that, because he doesn't bulge in his suit. I agree with you that Craig looked too big/ripped for Bond. I don't get how people say that Craig looks like the book Bond.

When I think of Flemming's Bond I think of Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan. Men who have a very 'patrician' look. Especially after hearing how he originally wanted Cary Grant or David Niven in the role. Craig is too fair and rough looking even if he does clean up well.

Craig looks fine to me. I don't think people should compare him to how close he resembles the way Fleming described him. That's the book. Movies are different.

Connery is my favorite Bond, yet I think he least resembles Bond in the novels. Why? Because I think he was smart enough to see what works on the screen compared to what works on paper.

#29 Scamp

Scamp

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hi, my computer won't let me access the picture! Is there any chance of someone posting it here please. Thanks

#30 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

Which picture are you talking about?