Many 'rights issues' however...

#2 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:11 AM

This would be so awesome GoldenEye 64 is like the greatest game ever made!!!

It's the thing that made me love 007 in the first place!

Edited by MR. BOND 93, 30 November 2006 - 05:18 AM.

#3 capungo

capungo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:14 AM

Although I doubt it would happen, I wish there could be some reworked control schemes to better use the Wii's motion sensing capabilities. Regardless it'll be great to play Goldeneye :):-:7 Again.

Edited by capungo, 30 November 2006 - 05:14 AM.

#4 CowboyFunk22

CowboyFunk22

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:29 AM

Goldeneye very much helped me fall in love with the Bond franchise as a teenager. I wasn't a true fan until a year and half ago with all the marathons and i actually got to see them on tv.

However Microsoft would have a better chance actually getting these games, if anyone would all. They own rare and that is the largest part of it. They have already release two Goldeneye maps for Perfect Dark Zero (game isn't great i know) and that is the most promissing thing i've have seen in a while.

#5 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:41 AM

Realistically, I don't think this is going to happen. I don't see Microsoft giving a direct competitor permission to use GE007 in any way, shape or form.

#6 carddoug

carddoug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:47 AM

would the game just be a download or would it be a remake, better looking with the wii or would it be the same as on 64

#7 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:47 AM

I enjoy the Wii, especially its Wii games. They are a lot of fun. It is imperative, however, that Goldeneye is done right, or the whole prestige of the game will be ruined.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:55 AM

The game would be the same as the Nintendo 64 version, downloaded from the virtual console store. I take it it would be played on that virtual console controller. Dont think you could use the 64 controller, which is a shame.

#9 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:00 AM

The game would be the same as the Nintendo 64 version, downloaded from the virtual console store. I take it it would be played on that virtual console controller. Dont think you could use the 64 controller, which is a shame.

The new controller, however, is very cool. I could play GE with the Wii controllers!

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:05 AM

The motion sensing remote?

#11 capungo

capungo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:32 AM

Realistically, I don't think this is going to happen. I don't see Microsoft giving a direct competitor permission to use GE007 in any way, shape or form.

Well, we'll always have Goldeneye source :)

#12 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:39 AM

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the next release of it.

#13 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:11 AM

I wouldn't be so sure.

#14 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

I wouldn't be so sure.

Why do you say that, K1? and keep in mind that I don't play very many newer games.

Edited by Jaws0178, 30 November 2006 - 08:42 AM.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

I really wonder if they'll be able to get all these issues sorted out and be able to release the game. It doesn't sound like an easy task.

#16 Matt007

Matt007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

I would go out and buy a Wii just for this game if it were to come out, if they don't butcher it or whatever they plan to do with it.

But if they don't make it happen I am still happily playing my N64, the last console I ever bought since the computer.

#17 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

I wouldn't be so sure.

Why do you say that, K1? and keep in mind that I don't play very many newer games.

GoldenEye Source is a modification for Half-Life 2 made by an independent group of programmers without permission(I assume) to use James Bond or the original GoldeneEye video game. It is because of this that they could be threatened with legal action to halt and desist the project.

#18 Asim

Asim

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :P :P :) [censored]

#19 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

Right, but Microsoft can't do anything with GE007 either without Nintendo's permission, which is why "release it on both X-Box Live Arcade and Virtual Console and split the money" is a viable solution.

The simple fact is Microsoft and Nintendo would both have that title for their retro libraries, and PS3 wouldn't. If the two companies don't agree on something (along with Activision), none of them get the title to use.

Edited by Fro, 30 November 2006 - 03:54 PM.

#20 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

I would buy a Wii for this. If Rare and Activision can make a deal with Nintendo this might happen. Maybe they could release it for both systems? It better show up somewhere cause we all want to play it again.

#21 Asim

Asim

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

I'm getting one ASAP

#22 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

The Wii has four ports for GameCube controllers which could be used to play GoldenEye 64 along with other N64 games as well as NES, SNES, and GameCube games.

#23 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

If they did something like an "Ultimate Edition" sort of thing like the DVDs, Wii would probably be the system i'd buy (as the PS3 sounds like a turkey).

#24 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

The Wii has four ports for GameCube controllers which could be used to play GoldenEye 64 along with other N64 games as well as NES, SNES, and GameCube games.

Nintendo is also releasing a "classic" controller add on for the Wii-Mote. It's essentially a PS2 controller for the Wii.

#25 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

Cool news! :)

I'm still debating on which system to get. It'll probably be between the Wii and the X-Box 360 as I haven't heard a whole lot of good things about the PS3. Truthfully though, I could buy both the Wii and the 360 for the price of a PS3. :P

#26 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

i hope it happens but i find it difficult that microsoft would allow it

#27 WhoIs005?

WhoIs005?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

GoldenEye Source is a modification for Half-Life 2 made by an independent group of programmers without permission(I assume) to use James Bond or the original GoldenEye video game. It is because of this that they could be threatened with legal action to halt and desist the project.

I may be wrong, but I believe that you can only be pursued for copyright infringement if you were to sell GE:S or use it as a tool to Market your own business. If you are not making any profit with it, I think you have fair use to use it. Plus they are probably not using any actual code or artwork from the original game, but rather re-creating it. Whether this makes a difference or not, I am not sure. You also have to consider that the makers would have to spend time and money to pursue legal action, and that may not be worth it to them, if they are not making any money off of it, or cutting into the sale of their other products. There is also a Perfect Dark Source Mod being developed, so they may run into a similar dilemma.

I hope GE:S gets released without problems, it was a really fun game from what I played.

#28 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Right, but Microsoft can't do anything with GE007 either without Nintendo's permission, which is why "release it on both X-Box Live Arcade and Virtual Console and split the money" is a viable solution.

The simple fact is Microsoft and Nintendo would both have that title for their retro libraries, and PS3 wouldn't. If the two companies don't agree on something (along with Activision), none of them get the title to use.

I'd definitely buy it from Xbox arcade. 4 player Xbox Live online....drool.

#29 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:06 AM

GoldenEye Source is a modification for Half-Life 2 made by an independent group of programmers without permission(I assume) to use James Bond or the original GoldenEye video game. It is because of this that they could be threatened with legal action to halt and desist the project.

I may be wrong, but I believe that you can only be pursued for copyright infringement if you were to sell GE:S or use it as a tool to Market your own business. If you are not making any profit with it, I think you have fair use to use it. Plus they are probably not using any actual code or artwork from the original game, but rather re-creating it. Whether this makes a difference or not, I am not sure. You also have to consider that the makers would have to spend time and money to pursue legal action, and that may not be worth it to them, if they are not making any money off of it, or cutting into the sale of their other products. There is also a Perfect Dark Source Mod being developed, so they may run into a similar dilemma.

I hope GE:S gets released without problems, it was a really fun game from what I played.

Nope, you're wrong :) James Bond, 007, GoldenEye, these are all trademarked. MGM is typically very quick to slam a suit on someone for crossing the line. The game itself is copyrighted. It's only a matter of time till it gets shut down. EA for instance has been quick in the past to shutdown any mods that relate to any of their IPs. Someone had the bright idea of 'porting' System Shock 2 to the Source engine (Valve: Half-Life 2) and EA sent them a cease and desist shutting them down not long after it started to get underway. The thing about that one is that EA doesn't even own the full rights to that game. It's actually split up, I guess kind of like GoldenEye 007. Another one was based on the TV show Stargate (I can't recall which one) and MGM shut them down.

Why no one has shut down GE: Source yet.. I don't know. I guess nobody really perceives them as a threat since they're still in beta (more like alpha..), but with this news that Nintendo is pursuing the rights to GE007 to put on their virtual console, it could be soon. Microsoft may also want it for their Xbox Live Arcade. Nintendo, EA, Activision, Microsoft, RARE, MGM, Danjaq, UA - any one of these could pull the plug easily. They have just about every right.

It's only a matter of time.

#30 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

I'd love to be able to use the Wii remote to slap the bad guys :) Would just make the whole 'slap' thing more fun.

JUDO CHOP!

Realistically though, it'll just run in the virtual console and you'll just play it with the remote as if it were a standard controller. Shame :P