81 replies to this topic

#61 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

A terrorist organisation with the main aim of extortion is fine but reusing Spectre & Blofeld again no!

It too easy to get wrapped up in all the nostalgia of the Spectre years and yes it probably provided us with the best entries of the series (FRWL,TB,GF) but also some of the worse. (YOLT,DAF)

i believe the new organisation that is introduced in CR will have similarities with Spectre, but please! something new, what worked in the 60's isn't gonna work now.

The idea as been to revitalise this series, start again and it's worked tremendously by clearing the board it's allowed EON to give us something new, I don't want to see old idea's rcycled I want to see something new.

It's still possible to make Bond without introducing the cliche's of old, I agree that an organisation is fine and maybe a Blofeld type figure but CR has gone a long way to address the mess that was the PB era paticularly DAD, I really don't understand some of the comments from some like " why no gunbarel at the start, "why Bond without girl in his arms at end" & " why no gadgets".

The idea of CR was to repostion the series for the noughties, make it more contemporary, something the PB era clearly didn't, it was happy to coast on past glories.

If thing's like Spectre, Blofeld, large scale battles, gadgets and Moneypenny or Q are to be introduced then it need to be in context of the story not some lazy way of keeping the traditions to pander to mass boxofice expectations.

Yes these films need to make money to continue but CR shows how outdated Bond had become and the reviews and BO figure seem to be showing that it's all be recieved most favorably.

Once again Bond looks like the franchise to beat, rival series like Bourne, 24 etc will realise the Daddy's back an this time it's not a joking a matter.

#62 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

Not that i have anything against SPECTRE but i just think its had its day, we need a fresh orginisation, a better orginisation. :)

#63 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

It too easy to get wrapped up in all the nostalgia of the Spectre years and yes it probably provided us with the best entries of the series (FRWL,TB,GF) but also some of the worse. (YOLT,DAF)

Some corrections, SPECTRE wasn't in GF, and YOLT is miles ahead of DAF, it has some of the most innovative/iconic moments of the series.

#64 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:05 AM

Some corrections, SPECTRE wasn't in GF, and YOLT is miles ahead of DAF, it has some of the most innovative/iconic moments of the series.

My mistake I meant OHMSS, I'd agree that YOLT has it's moments but has a whole I don't think it holds up, Connery clearly dosn't care and is getting too fat, yes Barry's score is my 2nd fav of all time and I like the roof top sequence but the rest is mediocre and this is coming from someone who as a child had it as his favourite, for me it just isn't in the class of the first 4 and OHMSS is infinetly better.

#65 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:01 AM

Well you can't really fault Connery for aging... he's been aging since GF. I do agree he didn't have the enthusiasm like the first three Bonds and it was already waning in TB, the blame is also that the script which was entirely newly written lacking that 'Fleming intrigue' like the ones that stuck to their novel but it's still impressive at what they did do. :)

It has the best onscreen portrayal of Blofeld, cinematography by the guy who did Lean's pictures (Lawrence, Zhivago), Nancy Sinatra. OHMSS is faster paced, but then again YOLT was the first epic Bond and needed that grandeur pacing. I think it's aged pretty good!

Edited by Colossus, 27 November 2006 - 03:03 AM.

#66 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:03 AM

[deleted]

#67 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

According to IGN Daniel Craig recently stated that for Bond 22 Spectre might return. Is this possible? Aren't there any legal rumblings with Kevin McClory that have to be resolved in order to make this happen?

I certainly wouldn't mind Spectre to return (brings back lovely memories of FRWL and TB). Perhaps they could finally do the Blofeld trilogy justice.

http://movies.ign.co...6/746768p1.html

I was thinking the samething and I'd love if hey brought back Spectre :) :P

#68 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

I beleive SPECTRE will make a return to the Bond series, but I wouldn't like to see it come back throughout Craigs run as Bond. The plot in CR just bought the feeling of SPECTRE creeping up to me. WATCH OUT! :) LOL

Edited by mrsbonds_ppk, 28 November 2006 - 06:29 AM.

#69 yolt13

yolt13

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:46 AM

I'm surprised at how many people appear to dismiss SPECTRE as a relic from Bond's past. For one thing, this is a new timeline which does not acknowledge past films. Does this mean you will be able to completely accept this new Bond as Fleming's creation deep in your hearts and minds without him ever having to face SPECTRE and Blofeld? Moreover, a return of SPECTRE doesn't have to involve missile bases inside of volcanoes and such. The acronym is still cool and no less appropriate in the modern world, and it would be easy enough to tone down the fantasy elements and present a Blofeld and a SPECTRE closer to that of the book THUNDERBALL than films like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

The notion that there could ever be a better global terrorist organization than SPECTRE is unfathomable to this fan.

#70 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:06 AM

I'm surprised at how many people appear to dismiss SPECTRE as a relic from Bond's past. For one thing, this is a new timeline which does not acknowledge past films. Does this mean you will be able to completely accept this new Bond as Fleming's creation deep in your hearts and minds without him ever having to face SPECTRE and Blofeld? Moreover, a return of SPECTRE doesn't have to involve missile bases inside of volcanoes and such. The acronym is still cool and no less appropriate in the modern world, and it would be easy enough to tone down the fantasy elements and present a Blofeld and a SPECTRE closer to that of the book THUNDERBALL than films like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

The notion that there could ever be a better global terrorist organization than SPECTRE is unfathomable to this fan.

Can't agree. There was always something camp and funny about SPECTRE in the 60s, even before Blofeld donned the drag in '71. All those butch young blonds dressed head-to-toe in tight black lyrca? Not that I minded the fit lads in lycra, you understand...

In the deliciously mixed-up timeline we now have, SPECTRE could indeed be part of Bond's future; but jumping back into the real world, I fear it would invite ridicule to reintroduce them. Whether we like it or not Mike Myers has killed SPECTE/Blofeld. To quote M: "Blofeld's dead. Finished."

#71 Blabbermouth

Blabbermouth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

Can't agree. There was always something camp and funny about SPECTRE in the 60s, even before Blofeld donned the drag in '71. All those butch young blonds dressed head-to-toe in tight black lyrca? Not that I minded the fit lads in lycra, you understand...

In the deliciously mixed-up timeline we now have, SPECTRE could indeed be part of Bond's future; but jumping back into the real world, I fear it would invite ridicule to reintroduce them. Whether we like it or not Mike Myers has killed SPECTE/Blofeld. To quote M: "Blofeld's dead. Finished."

Can't agree with out. If people can forget about the past 5 actors to play JB and 20 films, and embrace DC as much as they have, why not SPECTRE. The SPECTRE that Fleming created is only really represented in FRWL(minus the Spectre Island idea) and in the opening planning scenes of TB. Mike Myers primarly used SPECTRE and Blofeld of YOLT and DAF, which was where the movies started to go wrong.
Flemings idea was that of a terrorist network all dedicated to making big bucks, using terror, blackmail etc. Now in the world today, an organisation like that should be able to exist. Going back to the novels and respectfully update the organisation and Blofeld in the same way as was done with Bond himself and CR, would work. Fleming's organisation did not have multicoloured men-at-arms, Blofeld as a non-combat foe, pet cats, volcanos used as a rocket base, world-conquering scemes But rather an organisation that thrived on the fear in the world, men/women who where all in it for the profit nothing more, lead by an intelligent and psycically formidable foe.

#72 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

Can't agree with out. If people can forget about the past 5 actors to play JB and 20 films, and embrace DC as much as they have, why not SPECTRE. The SPECTRE that Fleming created is only really represented in FRWL(minus the Spectre Island idea) and in the opening planning scenes of TB. Mike Myers primarly used SPECTRE and Blofeld of YOLT and DAF, which was where the movies started to go wrong.
Flemings idea was that of a terrorist network all dedicated to making big bucks, using terror, blackmail etc. Now in the world today, an organisation like that should be able to exist. Going back to the novels and respectfully update the organisation and Blofeld in the same way as was done with Bond himself and CR, would work. Fleming's organisation did not have multicoloured men-at-arms, Blofeld as a non-combat foe, pet cats, volcanos used as a rocket base, world-conquering scemes But rather an organisation that thrived on the fear in the world, men/women who where all in it for the profit nothing more, lead by an intelligent and psycically formidable foe.

Absolutely. But, alas, Fleming's SPECTRE was superseded by the movies' version - and it is the SPECTRE of TB,YOLT and DAF particularly that cinema audiences will recall. I think this is a huge stumbling block to reintroducing the organisation to the movies. I think you can have all the elements of Fleming's SPECTRE you outline represented in a new 21st century organisation for the movies.

#73 Captain Grimes

Captain Grimes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

This seems to me a moot point.

No one here, so far as I can tell, is suggesting bringing back Blofeld or SPECTRE in their old forms (white cats, Nehru suits, volcano lairs and all). The only real option is to bring them back in altered forms, either totally new, or derived from the Fleming books.

If one goes this route, however, what's the point in keeping the old names? "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" (as an acronym) mean nothing to most people. Most people won't catch the reference to earlier films and books, and most of those who do will probably be unhappy that the reference was made (witness the reactions on this thread). The names themselves, furthermore, aren't particularly remarkable; one could easily come up with others equally good or better.

Add to this all the copyright complications, and it seems to me a no-brainer: create a new organization (based, if you like, on the SPECTRE of the books) and give it a new name.

#74 Moore Baby Moore

Moore Baby Moore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

This seems to me a moot point.

No one here, so far as I can tell, is suggesting bringing back Blofeld or SPECTRE in their old forms (white cats, Nehru suits, volcano lairs and all). The only real option is to bring them back in altered forms, either totally new, or derived from the Fleming books.

If one goes this route, however, what's the point in keeping the old names? "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" (as an acronym) mean nothing to most people. Most people won't catch the reference to earlier films and books, and most of those who do will probably be unhappy that the reference was made (witness the reactions on this thread).

I don't agree at all. Lex Luthor has been a mad scientist, a tycoon, a politician, a terrorist-turned-arms dealer in the movies, and now he's a full-blown terrorist in the comics. He's been changed in a lot of different ways. If he can be shaken up to such a degree, than there's no reason why SPECTRE and Blofeld can't be updated in like fashion. If anything, I would agrue that Blofeld NEEDS to come back. He's always been Bond's most noteworthy enemy, as well as the one man who's done more damage to Bond than anyone else. So he'd be shorn of the volcano lairs and cats. So what? As long as his personality remains intact, he's still Blofeld. He's still a threat to James Bond. I don't and never will buy the idea that he's better off being abandoned.

#75 Mr. Du Pont

Mr. Du Pont

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:27 AM

This has probably already been said, but I'll say it anyway (since I'm too tired to go back and read this whole thread):

I would love to see the return of Blofeld and SPECTRE and I think it can be adapted quite easily to the new direction of the franchise. How? Use Fleming's source material. In the novels Blofeld isn't the bald, scarred, cat-stroking character of You Only Live Twice (a characterization that wouldn't fly nowadays). Give him the appearance of Blofeld in Fleming's OHMSS: long, slicked-back black hair, slender build, and sunglasses to cover the wide-open eyes. Such a portrayal could work very well without resorting to a Dr. Evil-looking villain. And reinstitute the international make-up of his organization (which itself would lend itself to our current terrorist-driven direction in the films). And as a recurring character, they could simply play up the plastic surgery angle from the books, since the "new Blofeld for each film" schtick might not fly with today's audiences who are more concerned with that kind of continuity.

I for one think Blofeld and SPECTRE can still work very well in a grittier portrayal while still adding that extra flare that some of the more recent vilains lacked.

Edited by Mr. Du Pont, 06 December 2006 - 01:28 AM.

#76 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:27 AM

i would love to see the return of blofeld and spectre but if they did bring back blofeld who do you think should play him?

#77 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

That depends, if Blofeld going to be the Donald Pleasance version?

Cause we also had the Max Von Sydow one.

If I wanted a new type of Blofeld I'd choose Ian McCellen.

#78 Mr. Du Pont

Mr. Du Pont

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:43 AM

I think I'd vomit if Ian McKellan was cast as Blofeld (or any other character in a Bond film for that matter).

And a Blofeld/SPECTRE return would only work if they did not fashion him after Donald Pleasance's version.

Go with the Thunderball or On Her Majesty's Secret Service description from Fleming.

Edited by Mr. Du Pont, 10 December 2006 - 12:43 AM.

#79 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:17 AM

I think I'd vomit if Ian McKellan was cast as Blofeld (or any other character in a Bond film for that matter).

Any particular reason why? He's got a distinctive face, is aristocratic seeming, and a deep voice. I don't see what the problem is.

(and vomit? People are very sensetive about Bond for some reason)

#80 Nimsworth

Nimsworth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:24 AM

So if SPECTRE returns where does that place Mr. White? CR pretty much establishes him as the top of the food chain for "the organisation" so wheres he fit in with Blofeld? #2 perhaps?

#81 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:32 AM

So if SPECTRE returns where does that place Mr. White? CR pretty much establishes him as the top of the food chain for "the organisation" so wheres he fit in with Blofeld? #2 perhaps?

I didn't get that at all. He seemed to me to be a fairly stereotypical flunkie for the organization. Le Chiriffe answered to him but you don't send Blofeld (or even Largo) to kill your renegade members or collect money payments (even if it is 100 million dollars)

The guy might have sat at the nifty boardroom desk but I doubt it.

#82 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:01 AM

White is definitely a middleman. All he does is setup meetings and make sure things go favorably. He's not high ranking.