No! No remakes. Very bad idea.

#32 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

CR is not a remake of the 1968 version (or was it 1967 ? who cares ?), therefore I don't see why the next one couldn't be called Live and let die, even if there is absolutely no relationship re screenplay with the original movie.

#33 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

The issue is not remaking the films, it is adapting those films' source NOVELS, with a more faithful take on Fleming's material than the original films took. A Fleming LALD wouldn't include the 'Kananga' angle, for example, and would include the maiming of Felix.

#34 shady ginzo

shady ginzo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:43 PM

I think they could do something along those lines, actually, furthermore, they should. I don't think it should be called Live and Let Die, but if I could make these decisions, Bond 22 would feature Bond travelling to America, a villain styled after the novel's Mister Big, Felix's maiming and so on. I would avoid direct remakes of the previous films, but I don't see how that should rule out remaking the story of the novel cause in the most part, they're dramatically different from the movies of the same name

#35 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

If they are ever to get this right, they need to do it now or in some TV series in the far future...

Now is the time.

#36 ludger pistor

ludger pistor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

By all means take material from the novels that has yet to be used and adapt it properly. But don't use characters and situations (and story titles)that have already been filmed. That's just boring. Move forward. CR is different as Eon have never adapted it before.

#37 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:45 AM

I think Eon should avoid "remakes" and follow an original storyline albeit one in the spirit of IF.

#38 uvhadyrsix

uvhadyrsix

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

From what i have read out of Barb Broccoli it sounds like Bond 22 could be called Unfinished Business, they seem to use those words alot. As for the plot it would be great to see Bond Brain washed to kill "M" then once again he has to prove himself. But leave the old films alone its been done.Any way they are looking to go another direction because Barb also mentioned there will be no Auric Goldfinger or Ernst Stavro Blofeld in future films.

#39 Blabbermouth

Blabbermouth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

Since LALD is my favorite Fleming novel, I would love to see it readapted with more respect to the original novel. The movie more or less on has character names, Solitaire's tarot-fortune-telling, New York, and the Afro-American gangster network in common with the novel.

Despite the racial comments that the novel contains, IMO it should be fairly easy to adapt. Furthermore there are much more location moving and action in this novel than CR, which should then not require the adding of a first 1/3 of the film, like CR.

I would love to see the scenes when Mr. Big interrogates Bond and breaks his finger with Craig. Not to mention the fight with the Robber (although LTK did an OK job).

I don't think it would ever be done, however I hope they consider the possibility.

#40 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

I'm not keen on the whole idea of remaking early Bond films. Firstly, we've seen it done already, so why do it again? Remking any of the films could also mean that the originals might lose some of their charm and appeal.

In saying that, NSNA didn't spoil Thunderball, so....

#41 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

Although the movie LALD beared no resemblance to the novel, the novel has been adapted to subsequent movies. Example: The climax where Bond and Solitaire were dragged through the reefs was used in FYEO. The sequence where Felix was attacked by a shark was used in LTK. There really isn't much left in the novel to adapt, except for the main plot involving the treasure.

#42 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

But Felix needs to be maimed again!
Or why don

#43 me4007th007

me4007th007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:18 AM

They should either write an original story or do undone Fleming material. LALD, as mentioned, has been covered by LALD and LTK. DAD actually featured a lot of elements from the MR novel, although there's definitely enough left from that to make a movie out of. (Call it "Dead Reckoning", after the chapter title)

The only film for which there is justification for a remake is OHMSS, only because that story is so crucial to Bond's development as a character.

Edited by me4007th007, 12 November 2006 - 05:19 AM.

#44 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Yeah. Both LALD and DAF movies had little to do with the novels. So if were going back to rough and tumble Bond, those are two books that show us how tough and how much of an SOB Bond could be. I'd love to see them "remade" as more down to earth, suspenseful Bond flicks.

Also Buonaparte Ignace Gallia would be played wonderfully by Michael Clarke Duncan. In the book Mr. BIG was physically huge and very intimidating. Duncan does that well and could you imagine his deep gravelly voice saying: "Drown Mister Bond? I doubt you'll get the chance to drown."

As for Jack and Serrafimo Spang, some of the actors from the Sopranos TV show would be spot on. Some affable goombas who can go from chuckling and eating to brutally killing someone and back again in few moments.

Moonraker cries out to be redone in more conventional vein. Of course even the book teeters on the sophisticated villain with stainless steel control room mode that we all know. But by then (four films later) A touch of nostalgia would be welcome.

#45 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

I have no interest in seeing LIVE AND LET DIE remade. Most of the material's been already used, and it will just feel like a retread. The treasure angle could be cool to see in the future, though.

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER has no business being made into a more faithful film. This book is perhaps Fleming's dullest, and there's nothing particularly cinematic about it. Similar comments for THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (aside from a sharp opening, GOLDEN GUN isn't full of cinematic potential).

#46 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:03 AM

If the new sinister organization is all about using money to destabilize the world governments, then both LALD and DAF fit the scenario. LALD had the gold/treasure angle and DAF was all about the bling baby. In CR the McGuffin is money, in LALD it could be the salkvaged gold and DAF a huge vein of diamonds found in a new mine. Add Daniel Craig, some sexy new ladies, a vicious but suave villain, shake firmly and BAM, the first real BOND TRIOLOGY.

Fun for the whole family.

Edited by Von Hammerstein, 18 November 2006 - 03:03 AM.

#47 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

If the LALD novel (or at least the plot, nevermind the locations) was adapted faithfully (but perhaps replacing African-Americans as the villains), it really wouldn't resemble the LALD film, and so there wouldn't need to be any fear about "remaking the movie." Give it a different title, if you like.

#48 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

"Also Buonaparte Ignace Gallia would be played wonderfully by Michael Clarke Duncan. In the book Mr. BIG was physically huge and very intimidating. Duncan does that well and could you imagine his deep gravelly voice saying: "Drown Mister Bond? I doubt you'll get the chance to drown.""

Oh my god I always said Michael Clark Duncan would be a perfect B.I.G.(Think I mentioned it once before in a earlier post)
They wouldn't have to refer to him as Mr Big (perhaps once as The BIG MAN as he was also known in the novel) yes, call him Buonaparte Ignace Gallia! There are SO many character names Fleming created that haven't been used on film. The main love interest could be Simone Latralle (Aishwarya Rai or Kristin Kreuk, both exotic beautys)and not called Solitare.

Bond 22 doesn't have to be a "remake" per se but small scenes such as the bomb in the hotel room and Bond swimming up to the cave with drums being played through an ipod(?) could be a modern take on the story.
I also like the idea of the pirate treasure plotline and Bond's finger being broken, used in the film. And what about Bond fighting off a barracuda? Yes please!

And definetly a new title, so no comparasons to the 1973 film.

These are just my thoughts you can disagree if you wish :)

Dangerously Yours
PFOD

ps sorry got the qoute thing wrong am rubbish with these sorta things :P

#49 Death for breakfast

Death for breakfast

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

I wouldnt mind a remake of LALD but I'd rather see a remake of OHMSS. Even though it has one of the better storylines of all the Bond films, George Lazenby's Austrailen accent and poor acting skills really brings the film down. If decided to go in the direction of remaking OHMSS I'd also like to see YOLT remade also becasue Diamonds are Forever was a crapy follow up to OHMSS.

#50 Waffles, James Waffles.

Waffles, James Waffles.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

Now that I started reading Live and Let Die (not done yet) I have a revised opinion.

I do see that the novel was messed up for the film, but I think EON should stay away from remakes. Now that I know the plot, it's been maimed by different films, and all the characters are the same. There are some good scenes that could be used (the part when Bond beats the crap out of Tee Hee and blows the two guys away could be extended etc.) but the characters' names would need to be changed, so I really don't want to see A LALD remake, but more of some more scenes used in Bond 22, like the Live and Let Die film, For Your Eyes Only, and Licence to Kill.

#51 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

Bond Girl name: Simone Latrelle

Villain Name: (forename) Ourobouros

Allies: Felix Leiter, Quarrel, John Strangways (they already "remade" Felix, so there's nothing wrong with using the other two)

Other character names...easy to make up.

Character name issue solved.

#52 Damien Hunt

Damien Hunt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

No thanks...been there, done that.

Of course, I'd watch it anyway, but I'd rather see something new.

Agreed.

Definitely agree. I want to see something else like the filming of the continuation novels instead. Besides, if EON remade the 007 novels in order, it would be the end of the Bond series. Yes, hardcore Bond fans would see them, but the average moviegoer would not. They will have seen it before and after a film or two would want something original and look for it elsewhere. No, the future for movie-Bond is either with continuation novels or original screenplays entirely.

I whole heartedly agree. I think the entire re-make scene in hollywood has been overdone. CR was fine because it had never really been done before. Let's move on to original work, or maybe screenplays of some of Gardner's or Benson's novels would be a better plan.

#53 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

How about, instead of remaking old films, they should adapt the continuation novels? I'm sure it would ivolve some wrangling over "rights issues" but i think some of John gardner's early novels would make great films.

#54 Death for breakfast

Death for breakfast

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:35 AM

I agree... the continuation novels are very good but i think they should make Bond 22 and maybe set up SPECTRE as the villian and then for Bond 23 use John Gardener's "For Special Services"