268 replies to this topic

#91 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

It took Moore till SWLM to deliver his best Bond but SC did in his 2nd, while his GF & TB performances are great, his FRWL is devoid of too many gadgets save the practical attache case, the way it's incorporated into the train fight is simply genius and still my all time stand alone Bond moment.

I think that Connery was very lucky to get a first-class Bond film with his 2nd outing, whereas Moore had to wait until his third film - TSWLM - to strike gold.

#92 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

And I've gotta say that I was pretty dern pleased to have such simplicity in the FRWL gadgetry!

#93 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Recently decided that FRWL is my favorite Bond film of all. El numero uno. For some reason I was under the impression that Connery hadn

#94 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

I loved the Cold War feel of FRWL. With another Cold War abrewin', Russia may become USSR again, it's not like we couldn't use the FRWL template for future Bond films.

#95 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

I loved the Cold War feel of FRWL. With another Cold War abrewin', Russia may become USSR again, it's not like we couldn't use the FRWL template for future Bond films.

Agreed, and some of the European locations for Bond 22 could make it really have the same feel.

#96 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

I think that Connery was very lucky to get a first-class Bond film with his 2nd outing, whereas Moore had to wait until his third film - TSWLM - to strike gold.

Part of the reason FRWL is a first-class Bond film is the presence of Sean Connery in the movie. "lucky to get"...sheesh! the usual Lady Sylvia garbage.

Edited by RJJB, 08 October 2007 - 02:23 AM.

#97 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:59 AM

Part of the reason FRWL is a first-class Bond film is the presence of Sean Connery in the movie. "lucky to get"...sheesh! the usual Lady Sylvia garbage.

Go [censored] yourself. All I did was post a compliment about the movie and all you can do is criticize me, you little [censored]heel.

#98 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:26 AM

Yeesh!

#99 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

I am very honored that my brief comment elicited such a thoughtful,touching response from Sylvia.

#100 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

Kids, kids! Come on, can't we all just get along? :D

Anyway, I absolutely love FRWL, it was my favorite Bond film before CR came along. Connery is at the top of his game, the story is strong yet simple, the direction is stylish yet classy, and the fight scene with Robert Shaw was freakin' awesome. I found the whole film to be very Fleming-esque, and I think it's the perfect example of what a Bond film is supposed to be.

#101 G.I Jord

G.I Jord

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

FRWL is, for me anyway, the ultimate Bond film, a classic. Connery's performance is awesome, the supporting cast and characters (especially Kerim Key and Red Grant) are excellent, the gadgets are believable and kept in check, and the plot is actually a cold war espionage thriller (not that I don't like the world domination/destruction plots that came into play with the latter Bond's).

#102 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

FRWL is, for me anyway, the ultimate Bond film, a classic. Connery's performance is awesome, the supporting cast and characters (especially Kerim Key and Red Grant) are excellent, the gadgets are believable and kept in check, and the plot is actually a cold war espionage thriller (not that I don't like the world domination/destruction plots that came into play with the latter Bond's).

Well said.

And it's also Daniel Craig's favourite Bond movie.

#103 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

FRWL for me gets better with each viewing,I wasn't that keen on it as a kid but I've liked it more each time I've seen it. I actually think it's better than Goldfinger-more action and tension,and Connery is sharper. There's a Hitchcock feel to the film [especially the helicopter scene!] which I realy appreciate,and Terence Young's direction is often superb,such as the lengthy train sequence. The story maintains suspense throughout and it's fairly believable yet still has that exotic feel. The humour level is just right.

That train fight is still astonishing in it's sheer force and brutality,and I think the film does improve on the book in several ways,such as opening out the action towards the end. And Rosa Klebb may still be the most horrible of Bond villains in my view-a slight shame her fight with Bond is rather brief though! This is a great all-round movie and one of the best of the series!

#104 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

FRWL for me gets better with each viewing,I wasn't that keen on it as a kid but I've liked it more each time I've seen it. I actually think it's better than Goldfinger-more action and tension,and Connery is sharper. There's a Hitchcock feel to the film [especially the helicopter scene!] which I realy appreciate,and Terence Young's direction is often superb,such as the lengthy train sequence. The story maintains suspense throughout and it's fairly believable yet still has that exotic feel. The humour level is just right.

That train fight is still astonishing in it's sheer force and brutality,and I think the film does improve on the book in several ways,such as opening out the action towards the end. And Rosa Klebb may still be the most horrible of Bond villains in my view-a slight shame her fight with Bond is rather brief though! This is a great all-round movie and one of the best of the series!

I agree on the Hitchcock feel and the train fight scene. I also like the first scene where you think Grant is killing Bond but he's not.

#105 McThing

McThing

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

Yeah there is just something about the movie. Im a fan of TB but lean more towards FRWL. Daniela Bianchi was just stunning!!

#106 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

Just watched FRWL again last night.

Connery really is at the top of his game. His actions and facial expressions are priceless - seriously, this movie could have had a ten-minute scene of Connery just having breakfast and it would be hilarious to watch.

The gypsy camp, for example -- when Bond is watching the belly dancer. The camera cuts to Connery and he loves what he's seeing, trying to hold back a grin but he just can't help it. Priceless.

It's the little things in his performance, really. The ever-so-slight glance he gives when he noticed Grant drug "Mrs. Sommerset's" drink on the train....

...The moment of hesitation when Grant asks about the second case -- Bond here is suddenly the one acting, bluffing Grant into thinking he's up to something. Brilliant. No wonder this man is so great at bacarat.

Edited by Binyamin, 27 October 2007 - 02:15 PM.

#107 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Connery really is at the top of his game.

Yeah, I really think that he gives his best performance as Bond in FRWL (and that's saying somthing). :D

#108 Pete

Pete

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

FRWL is IMO easily the best of the early films in the franchise. It helps that it is one of Felming's best books and it follows the plot with very few changes. I think this is Sean Connery's best film of all time. He looks as he's enjoying the role. The supporting cast are as good as any we've seen, and no invisible/flying cars. Quite simply Bond at his best.

#109 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

I love his eyes as we can easily see how much he's relishing Bond's impending doom.

Not to disagree with 00Twelve (wait, are we going to have a fight too? Your post was the usual 00Twelve stuff... errr in the sense that it was thoughtful and well-written :D) but I just never thought Shaw came off as that blood-thirsty. He is incredibly creepy in the scenes leading up to the fight (he does a great job of appearing barely contained in his pseudo-classy disguise.. a few seconds away from his true self coming out and pummeling Bond) but I got the sense from the novel that this character isn't even capable of containing himself. It's a great performance though, and if anything, I thought Shaw brought a depth to the character that the book didn't really offer (he's more than just an animal in the movie).

Wait, is this the only Bond movie (other than CR) that contains a large scene on a train? The novels are packed with train scenes, I'm kind of surprised that later films didn't keep some of that setting intact.. trains are so romantic, it's a perfect location for a spy, a lover, and a bad guy to tangle :P

#110 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

And it's also Daniel Craig's favourite Bond movie.

Really? I thought his favorite Bond movie was the first one he had ever seen - LIVE AND LET DIE. Is Craig in the habit of contradicting himself? Well, at least FRWL is a major improvement over the 1973 movie.

#111 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

I've just noticed how many times FRWL appears in member's Top 3 Bond movies in the Top3 thread in the General Bond discussion board.

:D

#112 americanbond

americanbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

I've just noticed how many times FRWL appears in member's Top 3 Bond movies in the Top3 thread in the General Bond discussion board.

Yeah you'd think in the 19 films since FRML, EON could have made 3 better than a movie that included a goofy character like Klebb.

FRWL is my fav though.

#113 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

:P

Yeah, that's because it's that [censored]ing good! :D

#114 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

:P

Yeah, that's because it's that [censored]ing good! :D

It sure is, boy....!

#115 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Yeah you'd think in the 19 films since FRML, EON could have made 3 better than a movie that included a goofy character like Klebb.

FRWL is my fav though.

Now americanbond, I'm a little confused. You said in the top 3 Band films thread that you favorites were:

1. For Your Eyes Only
2. Moonraker
3. Die Another Day

Now you're saying your favorite is From Russia With Love? Which is it, my friend?

#116 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

Now americanbond, I'm a little confused. You said in the top 3 Band films thread that you favorites were:

1. For Your Eyes Only
2. Moonraker
3. Die Another Day

Now you're saying your favorite is From Russia With Love? Which is it, my friend?

I think you'll find that he is almost constantly taking the piss. I can't believe we haven't noticed this before?

#117 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

Apart from the unnecessary personal insults, I agree that you can't really separate Connery and the movie. A huge part of the reason why the first four Bond films are so enjoyable is Connery. He was well served - but I'd hate to see these films with anyone else in them.

#118 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

I'd hate to see these films with anyone else in them

I would hate to see any of the films re-made.

#119 americanbond

americanbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

1. For Your Eyes Only
2. Moonraker
3. Die Another Day

I think you'll find that he is almost constantly taking the piss. I can't believe we haven't noticed this before?

FRWL is my favorite right now, as you will see in my profile. For me though, its tough to order my 13 favorite Bond films.... so the favorite does change often. Generally my favorite is the film I'm thinking of at the time. I had my mind on Roger Moore films before because of the outerspace thread and the sports thread. Thinking of FRWL and the positive aspects of it (screenplay, score, locations, ladies, etc.), it became my favorite.

Edited by americanbond, 19 November 2007 - 11:49 PM.

#120 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

I'd hate to see these films with anyone else in them

I would hate to see any of the films re-made.

I'm still sitting on the fence with this one... I probably wouldn't mind seeing a different spiel on some of the novels that weren't followed very closely in the films...

In a way FYEO was a remake of FRWL... decoder and all.