#31 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:23 AM

All the usual location
You mean "exotic" locations as usual? So, you want Bond confined to limited settings just for the sake of it, or what?
Gambling
It's an integral part of not just this story, but Bond's character. Why not also complain of his of his chain-smoking, womanizing ways?
Girls
See above.
Bond and M arguing
See above. M is the parental figure in Bond's life. It's worth exploring that relationship in Bond's first 00 mission.
Aston Martin
Guilty pleasure. Not like it gets in the way. Hell, we've only seen it, what, twice since '69? Four times total?
Product placements
Nothing new. Been the case in the "classics" and "duds" alike.
A lover betrays Bond and is not what he though
Since all past versions of that premise were probably ripped from CR in the first place, I don't see the problem in telling it "again" here of all places, especially since this is where it actually counts.

Don't see anything with the above that precludes CR from being a "different" Bond movie. Traditional elements may remain, but it's the way the story is told and its importance as a formative experience for Bond that make it so unique. It could be more different (and I wish that it were), and it could be less. But it's still a noticeable, rarely seen change of pace within the series.

No big deal, considering even the mere possibility of strict continuity went out the window with Roger Moore.

Roger Moore went out the window?! Somebody go and help him! :P

Actually, that was his stuntman. I was just doing my part to maintain the illusion. :)