This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

First Person Shooter or Third Person Shooter?

46 replies to this topic

#31 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

I previously said a hybrid would be pretty sweet. You guys should really check out Rainbow Six: Vegas. Granted Bond should not be a 'realistic and strategic' (serious) game, and he shouldn't work with a team (at least like this), but if you watch the video, you'll see what I'm getting at. You can't tell me something like that for Bond where it switches between an FPS and TPS wouldn't be cool.

#32 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:46 AM

Looks good K1Bond007. I would be all for something like that in a Bond game. :)

#33 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

I just resently bought NightFire, after only owning two bond games on current consoles (EoN & FRWL).

Both have some good things. Playing as James Bond in FPS-game, I felt more involved, like I actully was the suave british agent. On the other hand, Third-person bond games give me the feeling that I'm in control of a bond movie, since I can see and hear the Bond, and it just feels valuable, when you have these two actors who have portrayed James Bond in the movies, being involved with a videogame.

But hands down, the cheer enjoyment of using Bond's guns and gadgets in FPS-shooter is far greater than in Third-person shooter.

#34 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:08 AM

Just FYI, I'm not so sure Treyarch would be searching for someone with experience in Radiant or derivatives if it wasn't an FPS. I would say the likelihood of it being FPS is pretty great, if not certain. I can always be wrong, I guess, but Radiant was mainly used for Quake engine games (id Software). It also can be used with the Doom 3 engine, but it's since been replaced by other and better editors (hence derivatives).

Who can say right now, but I thought I would point this out.

#35 daniel craig kirit

daniel craig kirit

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:42 AM

Third person probably - you get to see Bond in action and it adds to the immersion factor when you can see Brosnan/Connery etc rather than just a generic arm holding a gun, and the third person view allows for stealth levels as well as just shooting

THE SIX PERSON SHOOTER 4 Sure!

#36 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:14 AM

Just FYI, I'm not so sure Treyarch would be searching for someone with experience in Radiant or derivatives if it wasn't an FPS. I would say the likelihood of it being FPS is pretty great, if not certain. I can always be wrong, I guess, but Radiant was mainly used for Quake engine games (id Software). It also can be used with the Doom 3 engine, but it's since been replaced by other and better editors (hence derivatives).

Who can say right now, but I thought I would point this out.

Derivatives? I just had flashbacks of a not so fun Calc class from high school... Sounds like technical stuff and I'll take your word for it. :) I hope you're right!

#37 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

I prefer first person... but i do agree your options are more open with third person. Maybe there should be a game with an option. And don't ask me how to do it

#38 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

Third person is way much better i hate playing Hands :) one of the weakest points of AUF, NF and GERA :P

#39 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

Thats funny. I thought everything was the weakest point of G:RA Thats what everyone would have you believe.

#40 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

I find the MGS-inspired 3rd person, with 1st person aiming, pretty optimal.

#41 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid kind of like... Metroid Prime. It's an FPS throughout, but when Samus rolls into a ball it's 3rd person. Take something like that except perhaps it's third person until Bond pulls out a gun - but with realistic ammo - not Bond with infinite ammo and plentiful rounds about or something - PPK 7 shots with maybe an extra magazine. Imagine an EON/FRWL-like game Bond sneaking around and then a baddie shows up - the player locks on to the guy (just for the first guy) pulls the trigger and the camera zooms down into the gun down the barrel (like the film) and we see the guy get shot then it's an FPS until Bond puts the gun away or runs out of bullets. That'd be neat.

Agreed, I'd like a hybrid. First person shooter for the gun battles, then switch to third person for other scenes (when exporing, investigating, driving, fighting. Don't know how well that would work, but I prefer to do the aiming rather than a lock on button.

Regards

#42 whatisthematrix

whatisthematrix

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid kind of like... Metroid Prime. It's an FPS throughout, but when Samus rolls into a ball it's 3rd person. Take something like that except perhaps it's third person until Bond pulls out a gun - but with realistic ammo - not Bond with infinite ammo and plentiful rounds about or something - PPK 7 shots with maybe an extra magazine. Imagine an EON/FRWL-like game Bond sneaking around and then a baddie shows up - the player locks on to the guy (just for the first guy) pulls the trigger and the camera zooms down into the gun down the barrel (like the film) and we see the guy get shot then it's an FPS until Bond puts the gun away or runs out of bullets. That'd be neat.

Agreed, I'd like a hybrid. First person shooter for the gun battles, then switch to third person for other scenes (when exporing, investigating, driving, fighting. Don't know how well that would work, but I prefer to do the aiming rather than a lock on button.

Regards

Octopussy with Roger Moore.
1. Pre title Sequence
Instead of following the film Bond arrives in the truck and has to sneak past the guards and enter the facility. After a fierce hand to hand battle with a single general (I think games should be more realistic and more tactical) Bond steals the guard

Edited by whatisthematrix, 14 October 2006 - 12:50 PM.

#43 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

Me likes

#44 WhoIs005?

WhoIs005?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

First or third person really depends on the gameplay. That is what truly warrants which is most effective. I have played many games that would have benefited from going the other way. It is hard to describe exactly what justifies being third or first person. It really depends on the feel of the gameplay structure. In conclusion, Tough call.

#45 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

For First person shooter, I like it because you have an advantage to aim anywhere and be precise. For thid person shooter, it really depends on if you have an "auto-aim" function or just a "move the camera to the correct way to shoot" (like in Tomorrow Never Dies for PS1). I personally like the one that has the auto-aim function.You don't have to go that crazy and lose points in the "rounds hit/rounds fired" section of your mission completion statistics.

#46 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

I like the third person perspective; it opens up the possibilities of what the character can do. Nevertheless, GoldenEye 007 is my favourite Bond game. The first person perspective worked perfectly and they virtually nailed everything. We’re getting a hybrid with QoS, so that should be the best of both worlds for me, if done correctly.

#47 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

I would think that after the success of Eon, Activision would know that the TPS is the winning formula, so I would say true to that and not change it.