This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

First Person Shooter or Third Person Shooter?

46 replies to this topic

#1 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:00 AM

It seems as if I have found a lot of differing opinions on this when reading through the archives in the Bond Game Discussion. However, I couldn't find a thread quite like this one with a poll, so here it is. If a mod could add a poll, that'd be awesome.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Edited by The Richmond Spy, 24 June 2006 - 05:02 AM.

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:28 AM

I think it depends. The first-person shooter genre has kinda been done to death and I don't really see how Bond adds anything to it rather than being a straight shooter. GoldenEye was fun yes, but if it was released today even with new graphics, it wouldn't being nearly as popular. So it would depend on what they would do to make the experience unique.

Your options are a little more open for a third-person shooter.

Also, it depends on the developer. An FPS by Monolith Productions would be swank.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:08 AM

I've come to really like both equally.

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:34 AM

Third person probably - you get to see Bond in action and it adds to the immersion factor when you can see Brosnan/Connery etc rather than just a generic arm holding a gun, and the third person view allows for stealth levels as well as just shooting

#5 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Personally I prefer the first person shooter. I think it involves more skill when playing the game, the kind of skill that Bond frequently pulls off. Now, this isn't saying that EON or FRWL were cake compared to GE64 but I felt more involved when I actually did the aiming and didn't just press a lock-on button.

I liked the experimenting with 3rd person in EON and FRWL, but personally I think it is time to go back. I agree that first person has been done to death, but its been 4 years since NF and I think the public would respond to it positively if it were done right. Especially if it was a game like EON and GE64 with a ton of levels and opportunities to use the acquired skills necessary to succeed in first person. One of my complaints regarding NF is that there aren't enough levels. I still love the game, but it'd challenge GE64 at the top of my list if it had around 20 levels with the majority featuring classic shoot em up (and not driving levels).

My last boost for first person over third person is multiplayer. IMO, the multiplayer in GE64 and Nightfire is awesome. If Bond could pull off a multiplayer competition-like forum such as Halo 2's on XBox Live (which has a huge following), then it would be very great for the video game franchise!

#6 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid kind of like... Metroid Prime. It's an FPS throughout, but when Samus rolls into a ball it's 3rd person. Take something like that except perhaps it's third person until Bond pulls out a gun - but with realistic ammo - not Bond with infinite ammo and plentiful rounds about or something - PPK 7 shots with maybe an extra magazine. Imagine an EON/FRWL-like game Bond sneaking around and then a baddie shows up - the player locks on to the guy (just for the first guy) pulls the trigger and the camera zooms down into the gun down the barrel (like the film) and we see the guy get shot then it's an FPS until Bond puts the gun away or runs out of bullets. That'd be neat.

#7 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

Knowing Activision it will probably be in 1st person. Not that theres any wrong with that, but I kinda of liked the 3rd person even with the horrendous aiming system.

Edited by Matt_13, 24 June 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#8 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

Personally, I prefer FPS having grown up with DooM, Wolfenstein 3d, Goldeneye. However, since the release of Tomb Raider, EON, FRWL, and a few others, I'm starting to lean more toward TPS, I'll always like FPSs though

#9 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:24 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid kind of like... Metroid Prime. It's an FPS throughout, but when Samus rolls into a ball it's 3rd person. Take something like that except perhaps it's third person until Bond pulls out a gun - but with realistic ammo - not Bond with infinite ammo and plentiful rounds about or something - PPK 7 shots with maybe an extra magazine. Imagine an EON/FRWL-like game Bond sneaking around and then a baddie shows up - the player locks on to the guy (just for the first guy) pulls the trigger and the camera zooms down into the gun down the barrel (like the film) and we see the guy get shot then it's an FPS until Bond puts the gun away or runs out of bullets. That'd be neat.

That would be interesting. If they proposed doing that, I'd be all for it. I don't hate the idea of third-person shooters, but I've also been raised on first-person shooters and long for another Bond one.

#10 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

I like them both eqaully, although I do prefer multiplayer in first-person. I've really enjoyed the last few games, but I think it might be time for another first-person shooter. In the end though it doesn't matter to me, as long as it's a Bond game I'm playing it. :tup:

#11 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

Personally, I like 1st person shooters because it seems more realistic. However, to add realism to the FPS, I think it would be cool that if when you look down at your feet you ACTUALLY see your feet and not just air. Also, it would be cool if, while walking by glass or a mirror, or something reflective, you could see your reflection (that of Bond staring back at you).

Like someone mentioned, I like to be the one doing the actual aiming.

Regards

#12 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:47 AM

Yeah its more of a toss-up between the two in action missions, but in multiplayer it isn't even close. FPS wins! :tup:

#13 AgentPB

AgentPB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:13 AM

Wow what a great idea! And Multiplayer of course would have to be 1st person.

#14 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

I personally prefer first-person as opposed to third-person, but the third-person shooting in EON wasn't bad, I'm just an FPS player.

I mean, it's more fun to play through various maps in AUF with the Q-Claw than playing average co-op missions in EON. I haven't even played deathmatch on EON.

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

[i like First Person for other games but I prefer the Third Person Bond games. With thrid person it gives more of that rush of watching a Bond movie, only now you control it.

#16 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

thord person. my brain can't handle first person for some reason. :tup:

#17 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

I agree that Third-Person games are more like movies and have that advantage. K1Bond007's idea would be a good compromise and it would have that movie-feel to it.

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

What about GoldenEye?

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

What about GoldenEye?

[mra]Sorry, don

#20 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

Also, it would be cool if, while walking by glass or a mirror, or something reflective, you could see your reflection (that of Bond staring back at you).

Like someone mentioned, I like to be the one doing the actual aiming.

There is actually a game out there called Deus Ex for the PC that has you see the characters reflection.

#21 Leiter

Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

I wouldn't mind a Bond game like 24 (the game).

#22 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

What is the 24 game like?

#23 Leiter

Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

It's third person shooter, amd in some levels there are vehicles that you can commandeer. There is also an element of stealth to some of the missions i.e You are Jack Bauer's daughter Kim and you have to sneak past guards, and your only weapon is a tazer. She can get other firearms but she isn't very accurate with them.

#24 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

I like both, but if forced to choose, I'd say third person; I just find I get more involved if I can actually see the character I'm controlling. Also, Bond doesn't just shoot, so having a first person shooter could be a bit restrictive. Although fair enough, there are games like Deus Ex that get around this!

#25 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

Leiter, that sounds really cool.

#26 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

What about GoldenEye?

i was much younger then and could think with both side of my brain simoltaniously :D

#27 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

24, and still playing both kinds

#28 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:05 AM

I like both, but if forced to choose, I'd say third person; I just find I get more involved if I can actually see the character I'm controlling. Also, Bond doesn't just shoot, so having a first person shooter could be a bit restrictive. Although fair enough, there are games like Deus Ex that get around this!

I know what you mean about being able to see the character you're controlling. If the Bond 22 game is a FPS, I want it to be like GE64 or NF...if it is a 3rd person then I'd like to see something like EoN.

#29 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

TPS because I like controlling James Bond's whole body instead of just his right hand. Everything or Nothing is the best James Bond video game ever made. GoldenEye is overrated, outdated crap in 2006.

#30 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Iv'e always prefered third person view it gives a better feel to the game, you can also see whats behind you instead of turning round all the time :)