This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

All against Hugh, Russel, Matthew and Mel, sign here!

40 replies to this topic

#1 oddjob

oddjob

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 04:00 PM

I couldn't care less if the next actor to play James Bond wasn't a Brit, it's the compatability of the actor that counts. But let me just say to all the people I've heard on CBN:
Hugh Jackman would make a really rubbish 007
Russel Crowe would make a really rubbish 007
Matthew Perry would make a really rubbish 007
Mel Gibson would make a really rubbish 007

A repeat of George Lazenby we do not want!!!!!!!!

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 06:36 PM

I agree with everything Dalton wrote, but just to add my two cents. . .

Hugh Jackman would not be "rubbish"--he's an extremely talented actor who has the right look and who could handle the English accent easily (witness Kate and Leopold). However, beyond being typecast as Wolverine, the main problem with Jackman is that he's on the verge of becoming a major star. By the time Pierce Brosnan steps down, Jackman may be too expensive and/or unwilling to sign a three-picture contract. I think his career will have to stay where it is now or hit the skids before he'd play Bond.

Matthew Perry--that's just an internet rumor or something started by Perry's agent to get his name out to the public. In fact, when Perry was asked about Bond, he said that this was the first he'd heard of it. And could you imagine Perry as Bond? He'd twitch through the role and deliver his lines like this: "What. . .do you expect me. . .to do, Goldfinger? TALK?!"

Mel Gibson is way too old. . .some people are complaining about Brosnan's age now (well at least on my usual site, AJB), so can you imagine how someone who's OLDER than Brosnan would be greeted? Russell Crowe is a great actor, but after his Oscar he'd be far too expensive for EON, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to deal with him--he has a bad reputation for fighting and being difficult to deal with. I doubt Crowe would give two figs for upholding the Bondian image.

#3 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 08:41 PM

This is getting on my nerves now, why are people suggesting American actors?!? This is stupid, Bond has, and always will, be played by a BRITISH actor! Even if the americans could master the accent, it would be going against tradition and I for one would be watching future Bond films if they did'nt star a British actor. Oh [cuss], Lazenby was Australian was'nt he? Oh well, australians will do, they can be suave as well as us brits ;-). I reckon Clive Owen to be the next Bond anyway.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 07:00 AM

The reason we all don't want Americans is that they won't pay tax on their tea, so ,gosh darn it, it'll be only UK, Aussie, Canadian?, et cetera actors! :)

But seriously, I think because of what America is, people would rather her Majesty's loyal terrier did not come from there.

#5 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 06:38 PM

Although MGM/UA probably doesn't believe it, we Americans (I refuse to use the word "Yank"--I was born in the south and raised in the west: I could be shot) like Bond in part because he's British. He represents different values, a different culture, a different approach. Sure, we still love our true-blue rough and ready American action heroes (who all seem to come from Austria or Belgium, but that's beside the point. . .); but to us Bond represents old world elegance and culture. Just like one of the appeals of a Bond film is seeing a place many people are likely never to visit, Bond himself is the kind of person most Americans never could be.

#6 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 08:49 PM

Can I sign/make a post twice to not let any of them people play Bond?

#7 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 08:50 PM

Can I sign/make a post twice to not let any of them people play Bond?

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 02:13 AM

Sign twice? What about the other two?

#9 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 06:01 PM

It takes a certain type of actor to be able to play Bond. While each of the above would definately bring a new style to the series.

The only one who is capable of managing it with any degree of success at the moment is Hugh Jackman. I don't think this would be the case however ,if he got typecast in the X-men series.

It's hard to break typecasting, can you imagine Matthew Perry play the role it'd just be wrong. Nobody would take him seriously, because we'd all be thinking of Chandler in Friends.

I agree that Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe shouldn't and won't play Bond, because the salaries they would command would not be easily justified by EON. Oh, and they'd probobly want too much control.

#10 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 03:14 PM

General Koskov (25 May, 2002 08:00 a.m.):
But seriously, I think because of what America is, people would rather her Majesty's loyal terrier did not come from there.

Really, General. Why do you have such a grudge against us?

#11 ronson

ronson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 08:03 AM

THE ACTOR PLAYING BOND COULD BE SPAINISH FOR ALL I CARE SO LONG AS HE LOOKS THE PART AND SOUNDS AS IF HE'S FROM THE UK IT DOESN'T MATTER.

#12 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 09:42 AM

Hugh Jackman would make a really rubbish 007
Russel Crowe would make a really rubbish 007
Matthew Perry would make a really rubbish 007
Mel Gibson would make a really rubbish 007

Agreed.

#13 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 11:49 PM

for james page:

i'd like to hear the head of mi6 list his top 4 post-brosnan bonds... :)

mine: jackman, mcgregor, owen, law

#14 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 12:41 AM

DavidFries (28 May, 2002 04:14 p.m.):

Really, General. Why do you have such a grudge against us?

Because you built the White House again after I worked so hard to burn it down! :) Just kidding!

No grudge,( :) ) I just assume that American actors have a mark against them (in playing Bond) for being American. But perhaps if there's an American who's really good, he'll get the job. I'd have no problem with that.

#15 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 07:19 PM

General Koskov (30 May, 2002 01:41 a.m.):
But perhaps if there's an American who's really good, he'll get the job. I'd have no problem with that.

I appreciate what you've said. Mind you, I'd prefer a British actor myself, and I'm not pushing any American for the role. I personally have no real opinion, Jackman looks fine, but I haven't seen any of his stuff.

But GK, if you have no grudge against us Yanks.....

But seriously, I think because of what America is, people would rather her Majesty's loyal terrier did not come from there.(emphasis added)

What is America to you? I understand preferring a Brit for a British role, but why would an American be desriminated against "because of what America is?" What is that exactly?

#16 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 07:30 PM

ray t (30 May, 2002 12:49 a.m.):
for james page:

i'd like to hear the head of mi6 list his top 4 post-brosnan bonds... :)

mine: jackman, mcgregor, owen, law

1) Robbie Williams
2) Robbie Williams
3) Robbie Williams
4) Robbie Williams

...and now you don't know if I'm being serious or not :)

#17 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 11:06 PM

What I meant about 'what America is' is that America is a sovreign country created by a revolution against the British Emprire. I know that is pretty old to be affecting Bond films, but there may be some sort of animosity hanging around. Or not. :)

#18 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 01:39 AM

--------------------------------------------------

General Koskov (31 May, 2002 12:06 a.m.):
What I meant about 'what America is' is that America is a sovreign country created by a revolution against the British Emprire. I know that is pretty old to be affecting Bond films, but there may be some sort of animosity hanging around. Or not. :)

--------------------------------------------------

well general, i'm neither american or british (canadian actually!) but if bond can use a BMW...originally an aircraft manufacturer which was an integral supplier to the LUFTWAFFE in Nazi Germany's air effort against the UK in WWII (in which they bombed the
[cuss] out of greater London)...i'm sure using a qualified actor form a country that had a not too dis-similiar "problem" with the British as the germans had 170 years later should not be too difficult to fathom!

also to James Page:

i heard Eon considers Robbie Williams a Joke.

The guy appearently needs to have acting lessons...

i guess your hoping for robbie to get the role so he can quickly run a 40-odd year franchise into the ground :)

#19 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 02:32 PM

ray t (31 May, 2002 02:39 a.m.):
i heard Eon considers Robbie Williams a Joke.

The guy appearently needs to have acting lessons...

i guess your hoping for robbie to get the role so he can quickly run a 40-odd year franchise into the ground :)

Well... The replacement needs to have charisma, confidence and bravado. None of the other "contenders" have it in as much quantity as Mr Williams. For that reason alone I dropped his name.

Sure, of course, he will need acting lessons. And Debbie McWilliams (casting), who seems to think she will be making the calls on this issue, said no way will he ever get near the part (and then went to see him in concert the next day).

But the man himself said he'd give up his music career and go to theatre school for as long as it took.

Which is a hell of a lot more than Mr Lazenby did, and some say he did pretty well :-P

#20 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 05:18 PM

Just for the sake of argument. . .isn't Robbie Williams too short to play Bond? I saw him on an American talk show and he looks to be well under 6 feet tall. And, let's face it, though the man isn't ugly, he certainly doesn't have the dashing good looks to play the part. I see him more as a minor thug who tries to knife Bond in the back.

#21 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 05:40 PM

I'm American and I want Bond to be played by a non American...I like the character because he is British and an American doing a British accent is just an American doing a British accent...no phonies please...we need someone from the commonwealth....

#22 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 02:25 AM

my wife says that robbie williams lacks the refinement required to play the role. no matter how long his study of acting, she would find him totally unbelievable as Bond. And she doesnt even think he's hot at all

she loves Pierce, Hugh Jackman, and Colin Firth... she, in fact, doesnt even mind Greg Wise and hugh grant (who seems to be branching away from his "foppish" hair and roles)

#23 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 02:37 AM

rafterman (31 May, 2002 06:40 p.m.):
I'm American and I want Bond to be played by a non American...I like the character because he is British and an American doing a British accent is just an American doing a British accent...no phonies please...we need someone from the commonwealth....

What about a Canadian? We have rather American accents (except for Kingstonians and Newfies--more like Irish). So could a Canadian 'fake' an accent and be Bond? Because some people are very good at accents--but then you don't want a 'character actor', rather someone who plays 'themself'.

#24 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 04:15 AM

I would have no problem with a Canadian, altough I haven't heard any Canadians mentioned. My only qualifications for non-brits is that they be believable as British, and not have too much of a history, so to speak. For instance, Ben Affleck and Brad Pitt are bankable movie stars, and decent actors. Forget for a minute that they don't look like Bond. Even if they could pull off the accent, and the suave sophistication, they still couldn't be Bond. They're too American in their history. I think the same standard should apply to any non-brit. I hope that made sense.

#25 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 05:50 AM

DavidFries (01 Jun, 2002 05:15 a.m.):
Ben Affleck and Brad Pitt are bankable movie stars, and decent actors. Forget for a minute that they don't look like Bond. Even if they could pull off the accent, and the suave sophistication, they still couldn't be Bond. They're too American in their history.

I wouldn't want to see either actor as Bond either (heck, they've had to ratchet down the age of Jack Ryan because Affleck's playing him--would we likewise get a Bond right out of the spy academy?); but, again just for the sake of argument, have you seen Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own, opposite Harrison Ford? Pitt plays an IRA terrorist on the run, and he does a good job with the accent and of disappearing into the role. In fact, I've always had a lot of respect for Pitt because he hasn't cashed in on his pretty boy looks and done teeny-bopper flicks: he goes out there and acts.

#26 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 02:35 PM

Let me clarify: I'm not suggesting either Pitt or Affleck for the role. I just was making a point about public perception. But, to your point, Pitt is a respectable thespian in my book. I've not seen a lot of his work, but he does deserve credit for actually acting, as opposed to to just "making movies."

#27 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 03:02 PM

I can't believe someone would actually recommend Robbie Williams for the part, just because he thinks he's Bond already, doesn't mean he'll be good, Lazenby got the role because he claimed he was like Bond and see how most people feel about him?
I don't want anyone to get the part if they have to go to acting class...then it's kind of obvious they got it based on something other than talent....I say find an unknown who can already act.....

#28 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 08:18 PM

Well, before SC came back for DAF, EON had signed John Gavin to play 007, he was an American. Imagine what it would have been like if Gavin had played 007, then there would have been no overweight SC and no Moore... Ugh! I perish the thought!

#29 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 09:16 PM

DavidFries (01 Jun, 2002 03:35 p.m.):
Let me clarify: I'm not suggesting either Pitt or Affleck for the role. I just was making a point about public perception. But, to your point, Pitt is a respectable thespian in my book. I've not seen a lot of his work, but he does deserve credit for actually acting, as opposed to to just "making movies."

David, I didn't think you were making such a suggestion--heaven forbid! That's why I wrote "just for the sake of argument" in my post--to simply point out that Pitt's pretty good at transcending his image. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

#30 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 09:26 PM

Okay, I think we're all agreed that Brad Pitt is the next James Bond. The End.