New Bond

65 replies to this topic

#31 FallinRetard9

FallinRetard9

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 08:57 PM

I think a good actor to portay James Bond is Billy Zane. I don't know if what nationality he is, maybe american or british? He was "Cal" in titanic, and has the perfect accent. He's in his 30's, may be he's 35? Idk.

#32 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:58 AM

I think he's American, but he seems to have done a lot of films in Australia and New Zealand. If Zane got the part, he'd be the first Bond since Sean Connery to require a full toupee.

#33 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 01:43 AM

But remember what Bond said in You Only Live Twice: 'Bird not make nest in bare tree.' :)

#34 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 09:16 PM

Hardyboy (19 May, 2002 02:02 a.m.):
Carver, Hugh Jackman is Australian, not American--but he's brilliant at accents. He gave a convincing American (or was it Canadian?) accent in "X-Men," and in "Kate and Leopold" he mastered a perfect uppercrust British accent. That alone convinced me he could handle the role of Bond. Jackman would be a great choice; but I also like Clive Owen.

I agree, I watched X-Men last night and I definitely feel that he could handle any role.
He's now my number one choice.

As a side note, will X2 go back to the origins of Logan, or will it take a different direction?

#35 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 01:14 AM

As a side note, will X2 go back to the origins of Logan, or will it take a different direction?

Tanger, you might want to check out Ain't It Cool News (www.aicn.com)--on the main page there's a link to a review by "Moriarty" of the script for X-Men 2. Apparently, this film will go into some detail about Wolverine's origins. Makes you wonder, though. . .if Hugh Jackman becomes thoroughly identified with Wolverine in two or more films, would people be able to accept him as Bond?

#36 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 01:55 PM

Hardyboy (21 May, 2002 02:14 a.m.):
You might want to check out Ain't It Cool News (www.aicn.com)--on the main page there's a link to a review by "Moriarty" of the script for X-Men 2. Apparently, this film will go into some detail about Wolverine's origins. Makes you wonder, though. . .if Hugh Jackman becomes thoroughly identified with Wolverine in two or more films, would people be able to accept him as Bond?

Thanks for that. I was using UpcomingMovies.com and they had nothing there about this in the movie.
I hear that he's been offered a part in SW Ep III as a jedi knight so I think these two parts could marr his chances.
Off topic a bit, I also heard that Lucas was going to make Ep III his last one and not do 9 films in total as he originally planned. Shame, I was quite looking forward to see what direction they were going to take the last three in.

#37 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 12:46 PM

Hardyboy (21 May, 2002 02:14 a.m.):
Makes you wonder, though. . .if Hugh Jackman becomes thoroughly identified with Wolverine in two or more films, would people be able to accept him as Bond?

I don't see why not. His Wolverine role is under fairly heavy make-up- the hairy sideburns, the wierd hair etc, so he isn't physically instantly recognizable.
Moreover, Roger was strongly typecast as the Saint, and Brossers identified with Remington Steele, yet that recognition factor, if anything, helped the transition to Bond.
Actually I think that residual memory of Wolverine's savagery might enhance Jackman's performance if he was to be cast as Bond, adding an element of menace.

#38 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Hardyboy
Jackman, though, may build his career on playing a feral, wild and woolly superhero, and this could lead to some people being unable to see him as anything else (and it could also lead Jackman to decide he doesn't want to get stuck in another film franchise)

Not sure this is the point ... Jackman is undoubtedly going to be a huge star, but by the time (and if it occurs) that Eon come knocking on his door, his wage demands are going to be a little beyond what Eon (and MGM) can afford. (Hardyboy will be bored with my next point as we have discussed it before, but IMO Hugh Jackman has a very mushroom-shaped head - I know it's being very picky and nasty of me, but I think it looks a little silly!)

My choices would be:
Christian Bale (a little young now, but by 2007 ...)
James Purefoy

Let's face it, there are loads of possible successors to Pierce Brosnan, the secret is to try and get as many of the following characteristics:

Tall: Gotta be 6'2"

Dark: but hey, hair dye is easy right?

Brooding

Accent: should be able to be passed off as English (yes, I know about Sean, but do you really think that audiences wouldn't be comparing a Scottish actor directly with Sean and Sean alone? They would have to be better than Sean to survive ...)

Athletic: gotta look physical

Interesting

#39 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 01:57 PM

Something tells me that Jackman WILL be Bond, however, he wont (try to not mind the contradiction just yet). In other words EON/MGM will pick him as their first choice, he will accept but he will have an accident and be forced out and a new Bond will have to be chosen. OR, EON/MGM will offer him the role first but he will turn it down, either to other commitments or because he will not be able to get the wages he wants.

#40 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:59 PM

As long as they don't end up having to get Rupert Everett as Bond as their second choice, we'll be okay.

#41 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:03 PM

I seriously don't think the cash will be that much of an issue as what everyone is making it out to be.

What's he getting for Xmen 2? And isn't PB making like 10-15mil anyway?

But from the interviews and such I've seen he'd be pretty keen on it, if you sign a contract for 3 films why are you going to try and push for a HUGE sum of money to begin with??? PB only got 1.5mil for GE.

#42 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 05:05 PM

Clive Owen. 'nough said.

#43 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:04 PM

How about Hugh Jackman. I like him, the studio would like to make several movies with him, nuff said.

#44 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:38 PM

Hugh Jackman hasn't got the charm or the really dangerous edge. He'd be OK but I can't cope with another forced accent from an Aussie.......

#45 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 06:40 PM

Hugh Jackman has charm...watch Kate & Leopold. He has edge..look at X Men and his work in Swordfish. When I saw that movie, I was like Ahhhh, that's the next Bond right there.

#46 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 08:57 PM

Edge as in British secret agent edge, not as in Hollywood action hero edge.

#47 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 12:35 AM

I think Jackman has a nice, unforced British accent, dont believe me, see Kate and Leopold (where he is also quite suave too). I think he can do it, I've heard he wants to do it, and I've heard that the producers are considering him. This all equals, Hugh Jackman (possibly) Bond number 6.

And for you Bondpurist, I think Jackman has the kind of intensity that Dalton had.

#48 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 09:41 AM

Anyone cast to play some gimmicky, american, cheap,comic book character can't be Bond!! (Don't mention flash gordon. He needed the money) Clive Owen has the ruthless edge along iwth the style and cool sophistication. Watch 'The Croupier' and you'll see what I mean. Clive Owen should be Bond number 6!!

#49 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 12:29 PM

im such a supporter for jackman being the next bond that im almost ready to wanna kick brosnan out
brosnan should do bond 21 and then retire on top to make way for jackman

#50 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:06 PM

Here, here! I want Brosnan to go out on top. For once, I'd like a long-running Bond to step down with a good film we all can be proud of. A View To A Kill and Never Say Never Again just didn't cut it.

#51 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:10 PM

Hugh Jackman is a shameless, a-list, hollywood 'star' - he has no danger or mystery. Clive Owen has mystery and a real dark edge. Jackman looks about as much like a ruthless killer as a neutered kitten. Give a talented, dark, mysterious british actor the role - in other words Clive Owen.

#52 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:31 PM

What about Jeremy Northam? He's a versatile acting talent with excellent crudentials.

#53 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:34 PM

Another name to conjure with is Colin Firth - he's suitable and popular in the US and British markets after his roles in big films like Bridget Jones's diary.

#54 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:20 PM

Jeremy Northam would be OK, but there are plenty of better potential James Bonds out there ... British, Australian, New Zealanders whatever.

Colin Firth is not such a good idea. I really like him as an actor, but he seems a little too curly-haired to be Bond (wow, this is getting obtuse now). He could certainly nail the brooding dark side of Bond (and we can see from BJD that he can throw a punch), but I'm not sure he might again act too much as Bond - all the successful Bond actors were pretty natural in the part (looking almost as if they weren't acting) - that's what you've got to look for.

#55 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:46 PM

I think Firth has the ruthlessness to carry it off, and the style. He was pretty natural in Pride and prejudice - he deserves a screentest at least.

#56 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:11 PM

You just love to start **** dont you Bondpurist. I'll ignore you're ramblings for once, and focus on something else. You say Jackman is a shameless Hollywood star? Before he got lucky and got cast in X-Men he was no different than any other struggling actor.

Also, I wouldnt say Wolverine is a cheap gimmicky comic book character. Out of all the X-Men, Wolverine is one of the most deadly, and dangerous characters in the comics. His past his deep, he has several layers to him, and Jackman is able to play this greatly.

And I will bring up Flash Gordon, why? Because you told me not too :) But really, needed the money or not, he still did it, and went on to be a decent Bond. There is nothing to say Jackman wouldnt make a great Bond either, now go back and watch some of Jackman's other films and stop basing your opinion on one film.

#57 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 07:12 PM

I usually go with everybody else and say Hugh Jackman, but the more pix I see of Clive Owen, I tend to wram towards him. He seems to fit the bill, but I'm not saying which I prefer, they both seem to be able to play Bond well.

#58 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:18 PM

Apparently Roger Moore's son is trying to get a chance at playing Bond. I can't remember his name but I read it in the UK newspaper The People on Sunday 18th August. RM's son is 30 years old.

I personally would like to see Robbie Williams (albeit not just yet) because he has an uncanny resemblance to Sean Connery and Timothy Dalton (mixed into one, have a look at his Millennium video).

He is too young at the moment though, but I think Hugh Jackman would do us proud. I wouldn't like to see Christian Bale, he seemd too posh, to upper class, a bit like a spoilt brat type of character.

#59 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:37 PM

Damn, it seems that BondPurist has left the board, and I was looking forward to hearing him form a rebuttal to my Jackman post.

#60 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:46 PM

Well, you never know, he might come back with another actor playing his part.