This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Empire Magazine on the PTS & a synposis...

96 replies to this topic

#31 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=18246

- The PTS will be in black & white and change to color at a certain point (the gunbarrel?)
- Scuba diving in the 1st act of the film
- Whole film will be shot with quite a bit of of handheld cameras and will feature a lot of other nontraditional Bond lighting/camerawork

Excuse me, won't you? I think I've just come.

:tup: :D :D
The greatest reply is the history of CBN.

#32 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

I think the color has to be the gunbarrel, as Stax reported, in the screenplay, the gunbarrel was placed after the PTS and opens on the main titles.

Hardly conclusive. As Fierstien's TND draft has the gunbarrel placed after the teaser and before the main titles. We wont know where the gunbarrel is located till after someone sees the film.

#33 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

I think the color has to be the gunbarrel, as Stax reported, in the screenplay, the gunbarrel was placed after the PTS and opens on the main titles.

Hardly conclusive. As Fierstien's TND draft has the gunbarrel placed after the teaser and before the main titles. We wont know where the gunbarrel is located till after someone sees the film.

I agree--that actually is Harmsway's quote NOT mine. :tup:

#34 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

I knew I buggered it up. I'll fix it with a quick edit.

#35 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

Inconclusive, yes, but I think the pre-titles being in B&W makes it more of a possibility. I have a hard time seeing the gunbarrel open on B&W, and it makes sense to have the B&W assassinations in the PTS be a bit abstract, devoid of color (because Bond hasn't really become 007 yet). Then with the gunbarrel logo, we shoot into color and the main titles.

It just seems to make sense to me.

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Black and white bits? Hmmm.... sounds a bit "arty" to me, a bit "trying too hard". Wouldn't mind, but it risks looking just like yer average Tony Scott film.

And why won't they ditch Panavision for just one film?

#37 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

phew, now that I have stop laughing. This is fantastic news, something new and fresh for the world of Bond.

#38 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Black and white bits? Hmmm.... sounds a bit "arty" to me, a bit "trying too hard". Wouldn't mind, but it risks looking just like yer average Tony Scott film.

The handhelds I can do without. :tup:

#39 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Would a smaller aspect ratio really make the film better? I actually prefer Bond to be in wide scope, gives it the potential to be more epic.

#40 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Loomis, now don't take this the wrong way, but I believe I've got one thing figured now.

When the majority are slating something, you stand up to defend it.

But when the majority are lavishing praise, you raise objections.

The Devil's Advocate must be in your blood.

You're not a barrister are you?

:tup:

#41 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

The black and white opening leading into the gunbarrel sounds great. It will really give the first part of the film a 1950s vibe. I wonder if they'll ressurect the old gunbarrel footage from Dr. No or recreate something similar to it but with Craig doing the shooting.

#42 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Re: the hand-held cameras. The BBC footage shows the use of the steady cam.

#43 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

I'm a little unsure about the black-and-white thing... But I'll maintain my cautious optimism. (Although the "cautiousness" has pretty much been blown away by the amazing BBC footage...)

And -- maybe it's just me -- but I assumed that the "scuba diving" comment was just a joke.

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

Inconclusive, yes, but I think the pre-titles being in B&W makes it more of a possibility. I have a hard time seeing the gunbarrel open on B&W, and it makes sense to have the B&W assassinations in the PTS be a bit abstract, devoid of color (because Bond hasn't really become 007 yet). Then with the gunbarrel logo, we shoot into color and the main titles.

Makes sense to me too. :D

(Read: Royale Media Blitz)

#45 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Maybe, after the movie is out, I can do a restoration project to put color back in the PTS. That way I can take the movie seriously. :tup:

Edited by Niwram, 09 March 2006 - 08:19 PM.

#46 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

Maybe, after the movie is out, I can do a restauration project to put color back in the PTS. That way I can take the movie seriously. :tup:

CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA, SCHINDLER'S LIST, THE ELEPHANT MAN, The better half of RATTLE & HUM, DR. STRANGELOVE, BLOW-UP.......the list goes on and on.

All shot in b/w, and all seriously kicked butt.

#47 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, but they should either shoot the whole movie in black and white,
or they should shoot the whole movie in color.

Not doing THIS crazy thing.

Edited by Niwram, 09 March 2006 - 08:23 PM.

#48 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

Little worried about the whole handheld camera thing. Hate that.

I like the idea of the PTS being black and white. I can see that working.

As long as the handheld stuff isn't to the degree it is in a Michael Bay movie (so jumpy you can't tell what's happening), I'm fine with it.

As for the B&W, this is terrific news. It's about time we got some serious risk taking in the series. Seems like they're taking the kinds of risks they took while doing LTK. As much as I loved the Brosnan films, they always felt somewhat safe. Nice to see some daring stuff going on behind the camera as well as in front. :D :tup:

#49 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, but they should either shoot the whole movie in black and white,
or they should shoot the whole movie in color.

Not doing THIS crazy thing.

Ever see THE WIZARD OF OZ?

#50 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Makes sense to me too. :D

I can see that as well. Sounds like a very cool idea.

#51 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Makes sense to me too. :tup:

Well, there it is.

I suspect this

#52 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

[quote name='Kronsteen' post='529698' date='9 March 2006 - 12:35']
[quote name='zencat' post='529668' date='9 March 2006 - 21:08']
Makes sense to me too. :tup:

[/quote]

Well, there it is.

I suspect this

#53 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Maybe, after the movie is out, I can do a restoration project to put color back in the PTS. That way I can take the movie seriously. :tup:

Reminds me of the guy who told me he was going to edit out the capture sequence in DAD because (as he said): "James Bond doesnt get caught!"

#54 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hmm, seems to me that the guy gets caught in every single film. It's just that in DAD they actually restrain him and beat him senseless first. :tup:

#55 Fletch

Fletch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

Sounds great, with an emphasis on history and looking forward. The past is the B&W, it's James Bond, on his first mission, yet to earn his "00" status. After he completes the mission and gets his first kills, we splash into color, for the gunbarrel sequence, as now we realize he has become 007. Film noir PTS, globetrotting, bloody and bruised Bond, new actor, fresh twist----all good stuff. Cannot wait.

#56 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

A Bond movie with balls. Finally.

#57 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

In a perfect world, everything about Bond past (and Bond as a unexperienced agent) would be over after the PTS. And in that case, a PTS in black and white could be a good idea. Also nice to see some scuba diving again :D

But handheld cameras... :tup:

Hmm, isn't there a great deal of handheld camera work in OHMSS. I think some of you are being a tad bit too critical in this discussion. I trust Martin Campbell on this and I think we really are in for a treat. Thanks Barbara and Michael - Cubby would be proud.

#58 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Black & White filming is a interesting touch to the pre-titles sequence. :D :tup:

It'll be great to see it on cinema. :D

#59 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

I think I like the black and white concept. It really adds a certain element of symbolism and if the cards are played correctly, we may just get one of, if not, the best PTS. Craig's pics as well as the new footage is extremely promising and this is very exciting for me because this is the 1st bond movie where I've actually followed the production.

#60 a_crook

a_crook

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

This news about the handheld camera work and the b&w is fantasic. Perhaps the most exciting news yet... even more so than Craig being Bond. It truly means they are commited to bringing this franchise back to the cutting edge. I have said in numberous posts that I hoped that one day they would hire a young edgy director, but apparently they just needed to cut Campbell lose a little.

Really exciting news on all fronts... Bond always has held his own in style and excitement, but now we are going to be challenged by both character developement and visually interesting direction, I'm in heaven!