54 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:20 AM

Yes, it's what you've all been waiting for; a fansite devoted to the Young Bond series created by....ME. :tup:

Actually, I just whipped this up for fun using the new iWed program in iLife '06, but I like the idea of there being a Young Bond fansite, so I will keep it updated. The news will be almost all Young Bond or literary Bond related, but I will slip in a CR story every once in a while. :D

Have a browse: The Young Bond Dossier

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:31 AM

I think it looks cool. Good work Zen.

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:36 AM

Its a fantastic site...I was checking it out the other day!

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:38 AM

Very nice looking, John. I esepcially like the cover art gallery.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:39 AM

Thanks.

I gotta say, this iWeb program is the best. You really can create a pretty decent website or blog very easily. I'm revamping my Houdini website with iWeb as well.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:49 AM

Wow! I'm a big fan of the series and this site does it justice! :tup:

#7 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hey Zencat - great site. But I have a question, either for you or for anyone else who knows the answer: the Puffin version of Blood Fever I am reading (with all the mistakes - see the thread I started about that!) has a different cover. The difference is that where the one you have illustrated as UK paperback shows those insects on a black surface that looks like skin up close, mine is just plain black - it does not look like skin. The book was sent to me from the UK so I don't know where it was from or anything. What's the deal with this version and this front cover?

#8 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:38 AM

Check the copyright page. It'll tell you what edition / printing etc.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

Check the copyright page. It'll tell you what edition / printing etc.

Indeed. The UK proof has the "skin" backround, but the UK regular first edition does not.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hey Zencat - great site. But I have a question, either for you or for anyone else who knows the answer: the Puffin version of Blood Fever I am reading (with all the mistakes - see the thread I started about that!) has a different cover. The difference is that where the one you have illustrated as UK paperback shows those insects on a black surface that looks like skin up close, mine is just plain black - it does not look like skin. The book was sent to me from the UK so I don't know where it was from or anything. What's the deal with this version and this front cover?

Hey neversaynever. Yes, this skin image issue really threw me at first as well. That cover image on my website (and here on CBn) came from IFP before publication. It's a high res version of the image sent to Amazon, etc. But when the UK paperback was issued -- no skin! The cover just looks flat black. They all look like this, so don't worry.

But what I discovered was the skin is still there, just very VERY hard to see. Take it outside and look at it closely in the sunlight. You can just make out the skin pattern. Flash photos also bring out the skin (I was fooled by some on eBay that looked to have the skin cover, but the sellers told me they were flat black).

I think the process of giving the cover that nice sort of tactile quality erased the skin imagery. As Qwerty says, the "skin" is very visible on the UK proof. But this is because the proof is a standard gloss cover.

#11 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

Zencat - you're right! The skin effect is actually there, but it is virtually undetectable. After reading your message I checked it out, and the only place I can see it is on the lower left and right of the front. It's a shame, I think the skin look would have really improved what is otherwise a pretty bland cover. I think the should have stuck with the glossy cover, like with Silverfin.

Still, this is a pretty minor issue - I am really enjoying the book!

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:16 AM

Zencat - you're right! The skin effect is actually there, but it is virtually undetectable. After reading your message I checked it out, and the only place I can see it is on the lower left and right of the front. It's a shame, I think the skin look would have really improved what is otherwise a pretty bland cover. I think the should have stuck with the glossy cover, like with Silverfin.

Still, this is a pretty minor issue - I am really enjoying the book!

Oh, it's a great book!

Yeah, it's too bad the skin effect can't be seen, but I still think the cover is nice. What I don't like is the sparkle effect on the SilverFin cover. I think that really messes up a nice design. The SilveFin poof is much more pleasing to the eye. I keep wondering (hoping) that the later printings will drop the sparkle effect. But, so far, I hear they all have it.

BTW, I've updatde my news section with a new story. Blood Fever has cleared its 5th week as the UK's #1 children's bestseller (also launch of Blood Fever game on official site).

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Just a quick shout out to let everyone know that The Dossier is now updated with pages for Books 4, 5, and the Graphic Novels, containing all that we know about these upcoming adventures with links to news etc. Also, IFP has given the site the thumbs up and promised to keep me in the loop on all upcoming announcements, etc. :tup:

#14 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Great website! But did we really expect any less from zencat? I mean really.

#15 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Great website! But did we really expect any less from zencat? I mean really.

:D :tup:

As to the barely visible skin effect, I have an idea how and why this could happen. It has to do with the different color spaces of RGB (screen) and CMYK (prinnting) colour modes. Fewer shades of colours can be displayed in printing, especially when it comes to shades of black (blue can be tricky as well). They seem to have made a mistake when converting the artwork from RGB to CMYK colours and put to much black into the mix (which covers up to much "sub-colours"). It's very difficult for me to explain all this stuff in German, let alone in English. All I can do is point out a link to a site which explains the basics of it in English: http://dx.sheridan.c...cmyk_color.html and hope you understand what I'm talking about. (Also, the silky finishing of the book may add to it)

But maybe a native English speaker with some knowledge of all this can jump in and explain it... (Mr. A.?)

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

Website now has an entry portal page with a dedicated URL: www.youngbonddossier.com.

I've also expanded the site to include a page on the 2008 Centenary novel. I'm starting to think of the site as a literary Bond website rather than just a Young Bond site. But always forward looking to what's new.

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

Nice! :tup:

I just realised that the image of Charlie Higson reminds me a lot of a simillar image of John Gardner on his site.

EDIT: Perhaps not. Just checked his site but can't find the pic I'm thinking of. :D

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

I've also expanded the site to include a page on the 2008 Centenary novel. I'm starting to think of the site as a literary Bond website rather than just a Young Bond site. But always forward looking to what's new.

Interesting idea....but I personally visit the site for my Young Bond fix :tup:

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:20 AM

:tup:, zen.

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:30 AM

How remiss of me not to have "bookmarked" this site before now. :tup:

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

I've added a FAQ PAGE to the site.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

You make a good point zencat:

"Furthermore, posting James Bond fan fiction on the web is considered

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

You make a good point zencat:

"Furthermore, posting James Bond fan fiction on the web is considered “publishing” and a violation of copyright."

How is CBn going to tackle this?

Everyone knows fan fiction is a technical violation of copyright. This isn't just for Bond, this is true of all copyrighted character fan fiction and fan art across the web. The owners of that copyright can ask anyone at any time to remove it. But I think it's like a lot of web based fan stuff, why do it unless someone is profiting from it or trying to pass it off as official? Let the fans have their fun.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

I have a new feature at The Young Bond Dossier. Yesterday's update to iWeb now allows comments to be added to news stories. Doesn't require registration or an email address or anything like that. If you have something to say, just slap it on in. (Love this iWeb program.)

Share Your Thoughts...

That's it. :tup:

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Link exchange seems to be all the rage lately. So in the spirit, I've launched my own LINKS PAGE. :)

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

Another update. I've launched a new page that collects just Book 3 news, so with one click you can review all the info we have on the next Young Bond adventure. Young Bond 3 Archive.

#27 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Great site, John. Keep up the good work!

#28 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Excellent stuff, John :)

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

Another update. I've launched a new page that collects just Book 3 news, so with one click you can review all the info we have on the next Young Bond adventure. Young Bond 3 Archive.

I noticed that when I checked the site last night. Excellent work John. I am so excited about Book Three.

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

I noticed that when I checked the site last night. Excellent work John. I am so excited about Book Three.

I think you're my #1 reader :) (or maybe my one reader :P).