56 replies to this topic

#1 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

Okay, I'm not saying this is a definite truth, but it sounds fairly belivable and is from a guy I think to be pretty trustworthy and working on the film. Might all be nonsense, but it's pretty fun!

Here's what he had to say:

I wouldn't say this is a big spoiler, but it's an interesting scene set during the Poker game towards the end of the film, Bond has been playing against Le Chiffre and thinks he's discovered his "tick" that gives his bluff away, and Le Chiffre knows this. During one of the rounds, Bond's drink is poisoned and he has to bow out for a "break" - in fact he's dying. He manages to stagger back to his Aston and open the convenient medipack that's stored in the glove box.

Part of this kit actually plugs directly into a small device implanted into Bond's arm, this gives a full read out of his physical status and sends it directly to the MI6 doctors back home, who can then give him advice on what to do. In this instance, there is nothing that can be done. Bond's heart is failing, he's blacking out - but luckily he has a defibrilator in this pack and uses it to bring himself back. Still slightly groggy, he goes back to the game, undeterred, quipping, "That last hand almost killed me."

Well, I found it mildly amuzing.

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:03 PM

Heh. Sounds pretty cool. :tup:

#3 FriendsFriend

FriendsFriend

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:05 PM

Okay, I'm not saying this is a definite truth, but it sounds fairly belivable and is from a guy I think to be pretty trustworthy and working on the film. Might all be nonsense, but it's pretty fun!

I wouldn't say this is a big spoiler, but it's an interesting scene set during the Poker game towards the end of the film, Bond has been playing against Le Chiffre and thinks he's discovered his "tick" that gives his bluff away, and Le Chiffre knows this. During one of the rounds, Bond's drink is poisoned and he has to bow out for a "break" - in fact he's dying. He manages to stagger back to his Aston and open the convenient medipack that's stored in the glove box.

Part of this kit actually plugs directly into a small device implanted into Bond's arm, this gives a full read out of his physical status and sends it directly to the MI6 doctors back home, who can then give him advice on what to do. In this instance, there is nothing that can be done. Bond's heart is failing, he's blacking out - but luckily he has a defibrilator in this pack and uses it to bring himself back. Still slightly groggy, he goes back to the game, undeterred, quipping, "That last hand almost killed me."

View Post

That sounds like Half Life the computer game.

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

View Post

That sounds like Half Life the computer game.

View Post

hmmm, so he uses a defibrilator on himself? Totally unbelievable, ridiculous and... untrue!

So, nah. Won

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Totally unbelievable, ridiculous and... untrue!

View Post

Hmm, well I wouldn't discount it because it's ridiculous and unbelievable- have you seen Bond films before? :tup:

Might not be true, but it's not impossible.

#6 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

Don't know that computer game Half Life, but this idea reminds me of D.O.A., the classic film noir (remade in the 80s as a Dennis Quaid vehicle).

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

If true, this does mean that the 'no gadgets' quote isn't quite as strict as many have taken it to be.

#8 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:02 PM

"a small device implanted into Bond's arm, this gives a full read out of his physical status and sends it directly to the MI6 doctors back home"

I really hope this isn't true...

#9 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

"a small device implanted into Bond's arm, this gives a full read out of his physical status and sends it directly to the MI6 doctors back home"

I really hope this isn't true...

View Post

While I like the idea of Bond being poisoned during the poker game (instead of being threatened by a man with a gun in his walking-stick, which is a rather tired device), the resolution indeed veers a little towards invisible car territory. It would certainly give new meaning to the phrase 'don't become human yourself, we would lose such a wonderful machine'.

#10 FriendsFriend

FriendsFriend

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

Don't know that computer game Half Life, but this idea reminds me of D.O.A., the classic film noir (remade in the 80s as a Dennis Quaid vehicle).

View Post

DOA is great however I see no relation. DOA is about a man who gets poisoned and has a day to find out who killed him. No implants or video games medipacks.

Mi6 doesn't have doctors. That would be the MoD.

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

View Post

There's no such organisation as MI6. It's called SIS. Or in other words: it's not real. :tup:

And I don't think it's [i]too[i]invisible car- Bond does actually sound in jeopardy and vulnerable and the technology isn't too outrageous, generally speaking.

#12 FriendsFriend

FriendsFriend

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

View Post

There's no such organisation as MI6. It's called SIS. Or in other words: it's not real. :tup:

View Post

It's MI6 in the movies and was the name used way back in Fleming's day. The official website says

"The origins of the use of this other title are to be found in the late 1930s when it was adopted as a flag of convenience for SIS. It was used extensively during the Second World War, especially if an organisational link needed to be made with MI5 (the Security Service). "

They can do anything ina movie tho.

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

View Post

Hmm, well I wouldn't discount it because it's ridiculous and unbelievable- have you seen Bond films before? :tup:

View Post

Hardly seems as ridiculous and unbelievable as Bond stopping his heartbeat by the power of his mind!

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

View Post

View Post

It's MI6 in the movies and was the name used way back in Fleming's day.

View Post

Erm, but you were talking about real life. There is no 'MI6' (the quote you found actually backs this up: the name MI6 'was adopted as a flag of convenience for SIS'- it was called SIS before and still is) so as to whether an organisation which you don't even know the name of has doctors or not is pretty irrelevant. That was my point.

#15 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Well, while that scene description sounds suspiciously like EON stuff, I'm not sure that it'd be in it. But perhaps. Maybe it'd be cool - I could see Craig staggering out to the car in quite a convincing fashion.

#16 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Erm...

Not sure if that could work. I suppose having an implanted medical monitor thingy wouldn't really be too silly for a Bond film. But the way Bond apparently saves himself is a little too much of a Deus Ex Machina for me.

And is it true anyway? We just don't know! It does say about the card game taking place towards the end of the film. I'd have assumed, based on the story that it'd be in the mid-point of the film at the latest; there's still a lot of story to get through afterwards.

#17 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:23 AM

Now that I think about it, this idea might be really cool. So much for Campbell's assertion of little gadgetry if it's a true one, but I could see the scene done in a gritty manner and working quite well with Craig.

#18 Tinfinger

Tinfinger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:25 AM

This is the best idea since Bond stopped his own heart and then brought himself back to life, a la Flint. Way to go, EON. Keep the good times coming.

#19 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:49 AM

[quote name='Tinfinger' date='30 January 2006 - 00:25']This is the best idea since Bond stopped his own heart and then brought himself back to life, a la Flint.

#20 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:51 AM

I just had another thought, though. Purvis and Wade tried to write a "gritty, FRWL-style" Bond adventure with TWINE, and in their first draft they had something as outlandish as Bond chasing the Cigar Girl's boat with a jetpack...

This seems like something they'd come up with.

#21 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:01 AM

Plausible or not, this sounds fake.

Hardly seems as ridiculous and unbelievable as Bond stopping his heartbeat by the power of his mind!

View Post

This is actually possible (slowing it, anyway) - more like improbable Bond would be able to do it and damaging to his health etc etc etc. The more unrealistic bit of this scene is when he electrocutes the doctors. Theres no way he could have closed a circuit there, especially since the doctors were no doubt wearing shoes made of rubber.

#22 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:11 AM

The heart thing has possibilities. Maybe down the line we'll have a scene where he has to take out his own appendix. Of course, he'd be assisted by a beautiful nurse. And after a successful operation, they could find themselves in a romantic clinch...(discreet fade-out).

#23 Tinfinger

Tinfinger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

I want to see a sex scene where Bond uses his mind to cause women in other continents to have orgasms,

#24 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

While the thing about Bond having something in his arm that can be hooked up to a machine that can determine what is wrong with him sounds a bit out there, I have another point of view that makes me not believe the rumor.

How can Bond be excused from the table in a high stakes poker game and yet still return sometime later (after doing all that examination and doctor stuff) to pick up where he left off? Wouldn't he be disqualified from the tournament once he left the table?

#25 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

View Post

View Post

View Post

Alright, somehow I forgot about this part of DAD because I consider it absolutely absurd every time I see it. But let

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:51 AM

How can Bond be excused from the table in a high stakes poker game and yet still return sometime later (after doing all that examination and doctor stuff) to pick up where he left off? Wouldn't he be disqualified from the tournament once he left the table?

View Post

Another good point. I don't believe the rumor to be true either, for many of the reasons listed above, but this reason is probably the most logically sound reason as to why, within the Bond universe, that this rumor is probably false.

#27 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

I asked the same person about the use of gadgets in the film, and he said there aren't many, 'just a couple'.

#28 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

Well, marktmurphy, if you trust that source (as you do), I might have to believe it for now. It does sound rather EON-ish to me, and I can actually see it working in a grittier fashion than some might think when they hear of such a thing. We'll see.

#29 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:37 PM

I'm not saying it's definitely true, but he has said things that have turned out to be true after he said them. Bear in mind that even if it is true now it might be changed before the film is shot, so we may never see it.

He did let slip a little snippet about the use of DB5 in the movie, though. Apparently it's not Bond's at all, although he does drive it briefly to cause a distraction.

#30 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

He did let slip a little snippet about the use of DB5 in the movie, though. Apparently it's not Bond's at all, although he does drive it briefly to cause a distraction.

View Post

Yeah, I read about that in the other thread. That's a clever way of slipping it in - and the idea of crashing somebody else's DB5 to create a distraction sounds wonderfully down-to-earth but cool at the same time.