146 replies to this topic

#91 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

Looks like Random House dropped the US edition. Amazon doesn't have a listing for that anymore. From what I can find anyway. I recall seeing it a number of times, even being listed with the cover art, but I can't find it anymore. I linked to it once on my site and the link is now 404'd.

Seems unfortunate.....

Hmm. Guess I'm going to have to get rid of that link in this CBn article too. Would have been nice to have this one in the US as well.

#92 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:43 AM

Looks like Random House dropped the US edition. Amazon doesn't have a listing for that anymore. From what I can find anyway. I recall seeing it a number of times, even being listed with the cover art, but I can't find it anymore. I linked to it once on my site and the link is now 404'd.

Seems unfortunate.....

Hmm. Guess I'm going to have to get rid of that link in this CBn article too. Would have been nice to have this one in the US as well.

Was the US cover art the same as the UK?

#93 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:57 AM

As far as I recall, yes. Sound right to you, K1?

#94 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:19 AM

It was the same because I remember thinking it was odd that they didn't bother to change "Authorised" to "Authorized". At the time I thought maybe they were just going with the British spelling as a standard like "Licence to Kill" rather than "License to Kill".

It may have never been set for release in the U.S. in the first place. I'd need to go back through all the news articles to see if there was ever a source for it beyond Amazon.

#95 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

It was the same because I remember thinking it was odd that they didn't bother to change "Authorised" to "Authorized". At the time I thought maybe they were just going with the British spelling as a standard like "Licence to Kill" rather than "License to Kill".

It may have never been set for release in the U.S. in the first place. I'd need to go back through all the news articles to see if there was ever a source for it beyond Amazon.

Maybe it was just a listing for the UK hardback (since alot of the US releases of Bond books show up on amazon.co.uk as well)...? I know it's release was set for 27 November the last time I checked--again, according to amazon.

#96 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:25 AM

Maybe it was just a listing for the UK hardback (since alot of the US releases of Bond books show up on amazon.co.uk as well)...? I know it's release was set for 27 November the last time I checked--again, according to amazon.

Heh.. and I just found this gem...

http://www.amazon.co...i...6263&sr=1-6

Paperback on October 4th in the UK. This is a different listing than the May 1st one. So confusing.... :cooltongue: I don't know anymore. I was looking forward to picking this up in hardcover form though in the US and now that's gone. Being a literary US Bond fan is getting expensive. I might as well just move to the UK. :angry:

#97 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:30 AM

Heh.. and I just found this gem...

http://www.amazon.co...i...6263&sr=1-6

Paperback on October 4th in the UK. This is a different listing than the May 1st one. So confusing.... :cooltongue: I don't know anymore. I was looking forward to picking this up in hardcover form though in the US and now that's gone. Being a literary US Bond fan is getting expensive. I might as well just move to the UK. :lol:

:angry:

Now that's weird: "Century; Airport / Irish / New Zealand e. edition" ...kind of sounds like some international paperback edition.

Gotta love the current dollar/pound exchange rate. :D

#98 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

Just pre-ordered my copy.

#99 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

Well, after more than a year in delays, it's finally shipping: http://www.amazon.co...5152406-1956718

#100 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

Little-known continuation novel in print after 21 years

#101 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

Any date for a US release?

#102 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

The Canadian release date is November 27, which means I still have almost two months to wait. Damn it all. Hurricane Gold doesn't even come out until the end of October. Normally we've been pretty much on par with UK release dates. This is just stressing me out.

#103 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

Any date for a US release?

There was a page for this book on amazon.com at one point, although it doesn't seem to be there now.

I believe the release date at the time was 27 November.

#104 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

Just ordered my copy from the UK, really looking forward to this book.

#105 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

Anyone landed a copy of this reprint yet? How does it look?

#106 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

Mine is in the mail. Hope to get it soon.

#107 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:47 PM

I ordered along with something else that seems to be delayed, so it's taking a bit longer. :D

#108 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:42 AM

Mine is in the mail. Hope to get it soon.

Well, that was "soon." I just got it. :D

It's a beauty! High quality hardcover with dust jacket. Jacket paper has that nice rough feel. The gun is embossed (or is is debossed? - it sticks out from the paper). Gun grip even has the textured feel. On the back is a full pic of a VERY sexy young girl dressed in a Honey Rider-like bikini with knife.

Interesting the copyright page says it was "First Published by Sigwick & Jackson in 1976." Wasn't it 1973?

#109 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:28 AM

Interesting the copyright page says it was "First Published by Sigwick & Jackson in 1976." Wasn't it 1973?

Correctumundo, Zencat.

#110 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

Correctumundo, Zencat.

Strange indeed. According to Bondian.com the book was not published by anyone in 1976. :D

#111 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Correctumundo, Zencat.

Strange indeed. According to Bondian.com the book was not published by anyone in 1976. :D

Correctumundo, Blofeld's Cat. Zencat was right in saying it was 1973. I remember it well. It was a rainy day and the Red Sox beat the Celtics....

#112 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

Correctumundo, Zencat.

Strange indeed. According to Bondian.com the book was not published by anyone in 1976. :P

It's always seemed odd to me that the book should be REPUBLISHED in 2007 considering the amount of effort IFP have put into promoting the Higson books - which the Authorised Biography implicity contradicts/exposes. :D

#113 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

Correctumundo, Zencat.

Strange indeed. According to Bondian.com the book was not published by anyone in 1976. :P

It's always seemed odd to me that the book should be REPUBLISHED in 2007 considering the amount of effort IFP have put into promoting the Higson books - which the Authorised Biography implicity contradicts/exposes. :D

Somehow 'The Authorised Biography' is a mixed bag IMHO. Some things about it I quite liked (the survailliance mission at Wangerooge, the Ardennes mission) and some of these might well have carried a whole novel. For others I didn't care at all, such as Bond's brother, the early Marthe de Brandt affaire or the unnecessaryly complicated and downright stupid attempt at personal revenge of Obotin. Neither did I care very much for the 'authorised biography' approach, making the books a kind of Secret Service report for the public. I'd have rather seen a service member interviewing Bond to judge his fitness for further assignments in the Service or a similar approach. Anyway, I still wouldn't have missed it even though it never will become one of my favourites among the sequels/prequels.

#114 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:39 AM

Not that I'm at all against it, but I wonder why they did republish it now in the first place. I recall IFP mentioning at the time of this article that they had no plans of republishing it.

If picking any of the continuation novels, I probably would have chosen Colonel Sun or the Gardner's as more likely than this.

#115 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

Got my copy today. The "James Bond" should definitely grab some attention for whatever store bookshelves this will be found on.

#116 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

Nice book that one. I've got a paperback edition, the one with Bond (with an incredible resemblance to Pierce) is sitting in a chair with two girls and smoking a cigar.

#117 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:59 AM

The Telegraph has published a great review of John Pearson's book.

#118 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:44 AM

The Telegraph has published a great review of John Pearson's book.

They make the same "first published in 1976" mistake.

#119 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:08 AM

Daily Mail has one as well.

They got the 1973 date right. :D

#120 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:45 AM

Sounds like the publisher is giving this book a bit of a PR push.

Can anyone in the UK share what sort of promotion the book is receiving in-stores?