91 replies to this topic

#61 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

Red October you have me there, that one I have to listen to soon.

#62 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:39 PM

"Hymn for the Red October" is a great track. However, for me, two of Poledouris' greatest scores are for Conan The Barbarian (which is, quite possibly, IMO, the best score written) and RoboCop (fantastic theme).

#63 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:11 PM

Poledouris' stuff is great. I mainly think of him as scifi fantasy guy but I'm sure he could pull off a bag-up Bond score.
'

#64 theman

theman

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:56 PM

John Barry of course. If unavailable John Powell as not only are the two Bournes very good, Agent Cody Banks has amazing music - better than Johnny English in my humble (debating the relative merits of Johnny English & Agent Cody, Ye Gads - it's been too long between Bonds).

Unless we get the guy who did the Parole Officer... !

#65 Albino

Albino

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:32 AM

JOHN BARRY, of course! But the likeliness of him coming back is grim :).

Otherwise I think it would be good for DON DAVIS to give a one-off shot. (His styles are remarkably similar to those of David Arnold).

But for doing more than one movies, I would say HANS ZIMMER would do the job admirably. His music appropriately reflects both action, romance and scenes of jeopardy, uncertainty, etc and would work really well in a Bond movie.

#66 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:54 PM

Just saw Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow and Edward Shearmur's score was great. It captured that 1930's/40's scifi movie/action serial sound perfectly. If you didn't know better you'd have thought it was done by Max Steiner or Miklos Rozsa. Once again proving how verstile Shearmur is. Plus anytime you leave the theatre humming the music you know the composer has done his job. I'm going to put my official stand on Shearmur if Arnold gives up the baton.

#67 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:47 AM

I liked his score to Reign of Fire.

#68 Moonraker

Moonraker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:23 AM

Ah, yes. I was confused. You're still right, it's not bad.

View Post

That Song itself would make a good Bond theme. I support Danny Elfman for the the next composer, if not that the theme song for the next film.

if both those fail, Siouxsie and the Banshee's to at least sing the theme.

#69 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:57 PM

Elfman would provide a unique score, that's for sure. The idea of him scoring a Bond movie is more than interesting, albeit unlikely.

And please spare me the Horner, I can't stand this man.
Hiring Zimmer and/or Badelt would be a bit of a gamble, since they would either come up with something great or something really ugly.
Right now, I can't see an alternative to David Arnold. Bit of a shame, but his scores will do, although he ran out of steam after TND.

But if he throws the same tunes at us in Bond 21 AGAIN, then ...

#70 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:43 PM

I have to agree with you, GKG, about Zimmer. He can be glorious (as with Beyond Rangoon, Black Rain, parts of Gladiator, Green Card) or decent(The Ring, Hannibal) or just plain bite the big one (Drop Zone, The PEacemaker)

Sadly, he tends to create discordant, unmelodic scores for actions films.

#71 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:51 PM

Hans Zimmer is a brilliant composer. I admire his work and am close to a "Zimmerite" as you could be, but I don't feel he'd be right for Bond. Zimmer has a tendency to experiment and innovate, and he wouldn't be very comfortable adhering to the Bond sound. Based on what people have written on this board, I think there's still a group of Bond fans that adhere to the Bond sound, and want to see it continued for as long as possible. Zimmer, Badelt or the composers of Media Ventures wouldn't retain that specific Barry sound. They would write firmly in their own styles, I believe.

Having said that, the news that Zimmer (and James Newton Howard) are scoring "Batman Begins" says a lot for Warner Bros. wanting to modernize the sound of Batman. Initially I was a little apprehensive about the news, as Danny Elfman's work was superb, but it might work out after all. Certainly, it'd be a good example of whether Zimmer would conform to a traditional franchise sound (as he did in "Thunderbirds"). Who knows? Zimmer might be good for Bond. But David Arnold has proved his abilities, and I'd like to see him continue.

#72 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:26 PM

John Williams!!!, period. Full stop. End of sentence. Finite. Final. Get out of here. :)

#73 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:18 PM

@ Dmitri Mishkin

A bit OT, but I have to admit that my jaw dropped to the floor when I heard about the mix Zimmer/Howard for BB. Updating the Batman sound? Honestly, does anyone think the Batman sound NEEDS to be updated? Alright, Elliot Goldenthal adapted the more colorful and silly atmosphere of Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, but since it seems that BB goes back to the roots, why do they hire Zimmer? ZIMMER? Or even simpler: why don't they get Elfman back?
Think about it: Batman was one of the first big scores he did (Elfman himself said that by the time he "survived" Batman, he accepted himself as a film composer) and since then, he updated his own sound without losing his appeal (or most of it). If someone can bring Batman into a new age, it's him.

Now, back to Bond. I'm afraid the trouble with Williams is that he is too expensive. Not only that; I do think that his style is just a bit too classical for 007.

#74 Agent007.5

Agent007.5

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:38 AM

I really think that David Arnold's musical style is too techno for Bond and I really stress that someone new should be brought in to do a score that is more like the early Bond films. And, in my opinion, the only person who can do that is Michael Giacchino- his score for "The Incredibles" was more of a 60's style that felt more like a Bond score than the past three trainwrecks that David Arnold has been composing. If Mr. Giacchino isn't able to do a Bond film- the only composers I can see doing a great score (probibly not a good as the score that Giacchino would write) are Hans Zimmer, Alan Silvestri and Edward Shearmur.

#75 pieffra

pieffra

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

Michael Giacchino - The Incredible's score, remainds me the old Barry's soundtrack...

#76 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

I would lkove it if Barry came back. For me I think his music was part of what drew me into Bond. That and the excellent literary work. Also I can't forget the great movies.

#77 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

If we can't get John Barry, I'd like to hear John Powell work on Bond. We might actually get some dramatic music for a change.

#78 Evil Doctor Cheese Returns

Evil Doctor Cheese Returns

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

Murray Gold the composer for Doctor Who. Does some great work on the show, and Shameless and Queer as Folk. I'd love to see him have the time, scope and themes to go big and prove himself.

Anyone else familiar with his work. He's the number one composer for British TV at the moment and he's got such a nack for genre pieces, which Bond is.

Gary x

#79 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

A Barry return or a shot at Elfman would be welcome in my book.

#80 Agent007.5

Agent007.5

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:14 PM

I'm still saying that Michael Giacchino is the perfect person to score a Bond film and if Eon doesn't let him, then they've really lost it.

Edited by Agent007.5, 29 July 2005 - 05:16 PM.

#81 malaysian_bond

malaysian_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

If David Arnold was replaced with other composers, who would you like to see composing a Bond movie? Personally, here are my choices:

Michael Giacchino: He's a great composer, and if you listen to his scores on the Medal of Honor games, Lost, Alias and the Incredibles, then he is your choice. Website: Michael Giacchino's Homepage

Harry Gregson Williams: Yup. HGW. Let's see: Metal gear Solid 1, 2 and 3, Narnia, Kingdom of Heaven, any objections?Harry Gregson Williams Page

Tommy Tallarico: I know he's a video game composer, but he says that he's planning to switch to movie composing. And FYI, his neighbour is Michael G.WIlson. And yeah, he is a huge a James Bond fan and also a composer for the video game version of Tommorrow Never Dies. Music? Listen to the Advent Children soundtrack, the Tommorrow Never Dies(game) soundtrack and also the Metroid Prime soundtrack. He's a good choice for a Bond movie, no objections. Tallarico.com

So, whose your dream composer for a Bond soundtrack? ANd what do you think of my selection?

#82 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

[Mods Note: Topics merged.]

#83 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

My new favorite would be Alexandre Desplat. He

#84 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

Either John Scott, or Richard Robbins. :tup:

#85 Mercator

Mercator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:31 AM

Bring back John Barry or keep to David Arnold

#86 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:01 AM

Ennio Morricone

#87 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:53 AM

#1 choice -- John Williams. I'd love to hear what he would come up with for a Bond score. His themes for Jaws, Star Wars: A New Hope, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace are fantastic. I'd love to see him do one though I suppose we never will.

Danny Elfman would be interesting, but I'm not sure he's right for it. I think he would be either a boom or bust type.

Hans Zimmer -- He's done some good stuff and would probably be okay.

I've yet to see The Incredibles so I can't say anything about Michael Giacchino although it seems that a lot of Bond fans liked his score for that movie.

For old time's sake, Lalo Schiffrin might be interesting. Love his Mission: Impossible theme.

#88 Agent007.5

Agent007.5

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

I've yet to see The Incredibles so I can't say anything about Michael Giacchino although it seems that a lot of Bond fans liked his score for that movie.

View Post

You haven't seen The Incredibles?!? Well I would recomend that you see it asap, it's a really awesome movie and if you listen to the music in it, it's obvious that Giacchino is the perfect person to score a Bond film. If you want to listen to his stuff, you can simply go to his site, simply michaelgiacchino.com and there they have a few samples from a number of the score he did, which are all a lot better than anything David Arnold has done!

Edited by Agent007.5, 14 January 2006 - 09:12 PM.

#89 malaysian_bond

malaysian_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

Why no one is mentioning Harry Gregson Williams? He's a incredibly great composer, and should deserve to compose a Bond movie.

#90 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:09 AM

John Powell