91 replies to this topic

#31 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:53 AM

Versatile, and I just thought of what it would be like for him to do it while listening to that track.

Ah, cool. I'll go give it a listen right now.

Edit: Just did, at first i thought you were talking about a piece of music from the film. Then when I got my CD out I realized you were talking about the actual song that played during the movie that he composed. I agree 100% with you man, in fact, I've always thought that song would make a great Bond theme.

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:54 AM

Great! It's really quite interesting.

#33 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:04 AM

I want to talk about Don Davis again for a sec.

I know, he seems very obscure, but I was listening to my Matrix score last night, and in addition to being able to write thrilling, fast paced action cues and chase music without a hint of techno (this is the score, not the soundtrack), as well as very moody avant-garde music (not Eric Serra-style avant-garde), he is quite good at writing fairly epic sounding, thickly textured themes and excellent music for romantic scenes.

I am very surprised myself, but he has a great command of his skills, and I believe he and Danny Elfman equally have my vote. Shore and Howard are pure fantasies.

BTW, I like what you mean about the Batman Returns track. You DO mean the one before the titles, right?

#34 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:15 AM

BTW, I like what you mean about the Batman Returns track. You DO mean the one before the titles, right?

The only theme song in the film. I believe it's titled Face To Face and it has a very Bondian sound to it. It plays during the party near the end of the movie and over the end credits. On the soundtrack it's the last track on the CD.

#35 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:24 AM

Ah, yes. I was confused. You're still right, it's not bad.

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

The only theme song in the film. I believe it's titled Face To Face and it has a very Bondian sound to it. It plays during the party near the end of the movie and over the end credits. On the soundtrack it's the last track on the CD.

Yes, fantastic song. Also the end credits as well, before Face To Face plays to end the film.

#37 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:41 PM

Face to Face is a great song. That proves that Elfman can do songs to. Yeah Elfman could be good as a composer.

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:14 PM

Face to Face is a great song. That proves that Elfman can do songs to. Yeah Elfman could be good as a composer.

That may be one of my all time favorite songs ever. Siouxsie and the Banshees did it very well, and it fits the dark, even gloomy mood of the film.

Elfman did great.

#39 Seb Harvey Returns

Seb Harvey Returns

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:32 AM

Jerry Goldsmith should do it.

#40 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:23 AM

Unfortunately Mr. Goldsmith recently passed away, Seb.

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:06 AM

Jerry Goldsmith should do it.

He would have made a great score, had it not be for his passing.

#42 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:06 AM

This isn't about a specific composer, but the track from Kill Bill that was used for the trailers and actually accompanied the introduction of Lucy Liu's thugs in the film sounds very Bondian, IMO. I would at least like to hear that kind of sound in the Bond theme. I can't remember who wrote that track, but I actually think of Bond sometimes when I hear it.

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:08 AM

This isn't about a specific composer, but the track from Kill Bill that was used for the trailers and actually accompanied the introduction of Lucy Liu's thugs in the film sounds very Bondian, IMO. I would at least like to hear that kind of sound in the Bond theme. I can't remember who wrote that track, but I actually think of Bond sometimes when I hear it.

I know of the track you speak of, I only just watched Kill Bill a minute ago. :)

#44 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:17 AM

And? Agree or disagree? :)

#45 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:23 AM

Yes, possibly.

#46 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

Do you mean "Battle Without Royale" or what's the name is.

Edited by Bond_Bishop, 24 August 2004 - 12:54 PM.

#47 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:44 PM

Do you mean "Battle Without Royale" or what's the name is.

"Battle Without Honor or Humanity" ?

#48 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:05 PM

Throwing out a "left field" choice here. I think Christophe Beck would do an interesting score. He scored the first four years of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and has done a few movies. His scores are often moody and his themes are great.

#49 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

I think it may be the one listed, I don't have the soundtrack.

#50 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:59 PM

On the subject of Kill Bill. I really love "Bang Bang" sung by Nancy Sinatra, I'd really love a Bond theme that had that sound to it for the next film. Would really get my juices pumping :)

#51 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:00 PM

On the subject of Kill Bill. I really love "Bang Bang" sung by Nancy Sinatra, I'd really love a Bond theme that had that sound to it for the next film. Would really get my juices pumping :)

It's a great song indeed. Kind of fits into the category of good past songs for future Bond films.

#52 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:53 PM

I'm happy with David Arnold. I really don't feel that there's any other man out there who could score the Bond films today like he can.

#53 michael_arlidge

michael_arlidge

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:21 AM

The next Bond composer should be Edward Shearmur.

#54 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:23 AM

I'm happy with David Arnold. I really don't feel that there's any other man out there who could score the Bond films today like he can.

There most likely isn't. It would be interesting to see if he'd be with the series now, had he not made the Shaken and Stirred: David Arnold James Bond project CD.

I'm entirely looking forward to finding out exactly what his new direction will be, that has been mentioned.

#55 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:21 AM

I'm entirely looking forward to finding out exactly what his new direction will be, that has been mentioned.

I second that. While I very much love and enjoy what he did for this previous three efforts, I'm really looking forward to hearing something fresh and different. Not to mention, we haven't heard much from him lately, and I could sure use a new David Arnold score.

#56 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:26 AM

I second that. While I very much love and enjoy what he did for this previous three efforts, I'm really looking forward to hearing something fresh and different. Not to mention, we haven't heard much from him lately, and I could sure use a new David Arnold score.

Have to agree completely. He's done fantastic work, I play the soundtracks often, now surprise us further.

#57 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:05 PM

The next Bond composer should be Edward Shearmur.

Amen! His Johnny English score was phenomenal, managed to combine the 60's spy, Barryesque type score with the modern David Arnold sound. Very good indeed.

I also think George S. Clinton channels the John Barry sound quite well. Witness his Austin Powers stuff. Some people claim Clinton is too bombastic with his sounds, but really, have you ever listened to Goldfinger or Thunderball? Barry was quite bombastic with his brass in both those scores.

If Barry could come back for one last great score though, it would be the icing on the cake. Even if he collaborates with Arnold for Bond 21.

#58 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:54 PM

I know another one that could bring us a perfect and great James Bond score: Basil Poledouris have you heard his scores for "The Hunt for Red October" and "Starship Troopers"? Amazing scores. Here's my top ten list of new composers that could take over from David Arnold (which I hope continues to do his great score but with a little less techno):
John Barry isn't counted. Just new composers that haven't done a Bond score ever:

1. Hans Zimmer
2. Basil Poledouris
3. Danny Elfman
4. James Horner
5. John Ottman
6. John Powell
7. Robert Rodriguez
8. Klaus Badelt
9. James Newton Howard
10. RZA

#59 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:57 PM

Not to lower your point of view, but I was kind of dissapointed for the score for Starship Troopers actually. I was expecting something, I guess grander.

#60 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

I loved it. Both the score and the movie. And the "Hymn of Red October" for THoRO was great.