#61 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:20 AM

:tup:

I was a big skeptic about this one, because I never connected to the british cinema. But for this one, I had a big motivation, to watch Mr Daniel Craig performance. I liked it very much, he trully shows he's a great actor, a character actor.

Altough I supported the idea of him as James Bond from the beginning, I was still not sure about Eon choice, but this movie really convinced me to be a full supporter of Danny Craig. :D

#62 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:36 AM

:tup:

When I first started to watch this film, I was really caught off-guard with the language, the British slang and accents and such. So I was a little slow at picking up the story as it progressed but this film was definitely a terrific film. Daniel Craig was fantastic! A terrific actor that I can see being right at home with a role like James Bond. I definitely recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it yet; the acting is exemplary, the story is simply thrilling and the execution was spot-on and effective.

One scene that I particularly enjoyed (I know this will sound quite sadistic) was the scene where Marty (?) was kicking the living snot out of Frankie in the Regency Caf

#63 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

The thing that impressed me about Layer Cake was the fact that it was done for under 4 million pounds. You got some great character actors (Colm Meany, George "DEATH TO MING" Harris,....

George "DEATH TO MING" Harris ... Thankyou Robinson ... Every time I've seen LC, which is about 3 times now, I kept thinking , 'what do I know him from? ' and I haven't been able to place him! Of course it Flash Gordon ... I wouldn't mind but I watched Flash only last week and the penny still didn't drop... I can sleep now :tup:

#64 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

What I didn't realize until after the fact was that George Harris was Mr. Katanga from Raiders of the Lost Ark. That surprised me when I found out.

#65 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:08 PM

#66 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

The thing that impressed me about Layer Cake was the fact that it was done for under 4 million pounds. You got some great character actors (Colm Meany, George "DEATH TO MING" Harris,....

George "DEATH TO MING" Harris ... Thankyou Robinson ... Every time I've seen LC, which is about 3 times now, I kept thinking , 'what do I know him from? ' and I haven't been able to place him! Of course it Flash Gordon ... I wouldn't mind but I watched Flash only last week and the penny still didn't drop... I can sleep now :tup:

Dear Lady, it's obvious why the penny didn't drop while you were watching Flash Gordon. You you only have eyes for Timothy Dalton. It must be very hard for you to remember anything else. In fact, I am surprised you remembered the title of the film. :D

Poor old George, I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark about a week ago and the penny didn't drop for me either. And before you say it, I do not have eyes for Harrison Ford. :D

Edited by Moore Not Less, 06 February 2006 - 07:58 PM.

#67 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

George "DEATH TO MING" Harris ... Thankyou Robinson ... Every time I've seen LC, which is about 3 times now, I kept thinking , 'what do I know him from? ' and I haven't been able to place him! Of course it Flash Gordon ... I wouldn't mind but I watched Flash only last week and the penny still didn't drop... I can sleep now :D

Dear Lady, it's obvious why the penny didn't drop while you were watching Flash Gordon. You you only have eyes for Timothy Dalton. It must be very hard for you to remember anything else. In fact, I am surprised you remembered the title of the film. :D

Poor old George, I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark about a week ago and the penny didn't drop for me either. And before you say it, I do not have eyes for Harrison Ford. :D

Is Timothy Dalton in Flash Gordon? I never realised .... :(

( You know me too well MNL :tup: )

#68 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

Ok, I gotta ask...is Layer Cake slang for something? I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm just wondering what Layer Cake refers to?

#69 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

[quote name='Gabe Vieira' post='513861' date='6 February 2006 - 19:08']

#70 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Ok, I gotta ask...is Layer Cake slang for something? I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm just wondering what Layer Cake refers to?

Near the end of the film, the big crime lord (Gambon) says to the next-generation crime lord (Craig), "Your born, you take [crap]. You get out in the world, you take more [crap]. You climb a little higher, take less [crap]. Until one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what [crap] even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son."

The title refers to the human social strata, especially in the British crime underworld, as well as the numerous plot layers in the film.

#71 AlwaysanAston

AlwaysanAston

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

:tup: Watched Layer Cake for the first time last night and was impressed. Its all about good character development and has a great plot. Craig is very cool and delivers the role well. Most of my doubts about his ability to play Bond were eliminated after seeing this film. He's got a great sounding voice and a dark quality about him. I can't wait until November. Layer Cake is a quality film. Sienna Miller has a small role but worth the price of the dvd to see her over and over and over again. :D

#72 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:39 AM

No one has mentioned the special features of the DVD-the Q and A with Michael Vaughn and Daniel Craig. I agree that MV would have made a good Bond director, loved his comments, particularly his discreet implication that Guy Ritchie couldn't get it together to direct the film. Daniel was relaxed and articulate at the Q and A-very different than at the Bond conference. Think he was a little freaked out at what he had gotten himself into, there. Or mortified that he had to do the boat stunt:)

The most interesting revelation by Vaughn was that the film cost 4 million to make and that it was all about where you put the camera.

I'd like to see Vaughn co-produce a Bond film. He could infuse a level of "creative resourcefulness" that the franchise misses at times.

#73 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:43 AM

He was set to direct X-men 3 till he left the project.

#74 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:01 AM

I thought he was an interesting choice for it. He left X3 because he felt the project was too large and overwhelming for somebody who was relatively unexperienced. I would have been much more interested in seeing his X3 than Brett Ratner's.

#75 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

I found Layer Cake to be a very good movie. A was a little disappointed though from its dark atmosphere. I was expecting something like "Lock Stock" or "Snatch". Daniel Craig was excellent and I am convinced that he will be an excellent Bond. The soundtrack was very good as well, Ordinary World is a very good song and it works well in the scene that it is in even though that scene is quite a violent one. The ending was quite shocking too.

#76 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:53 AM

A great movie. In my all-time top 10 list. :tup:

#77 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:26 AM

I thought he was an interesting choice for it. He left X3 because he felt the project was too large and overwhelming for somebody who was relatively unexperienced. I would have been much more interested in seeing his X3 than Brett Ratner's.

No, Vaughn left X3 family-related problems or conflicts or something. It wasn't because he felt he couldn't do it or whatever, though he may have had those feelings it just wasn't the reasons for his leaving.

I agree with you though. Ratner is .. boring to me. He's a capable director, just not that good of one. I would have liked Vaughn at the wheel of X3 better. Assuming Campbell doesn't return for Bond-22 Vaughn would probably be a good choice for that (he probably would have done fine with CR).

#78 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:35 AM

[quote name='K1Bond007' date='26 February 2006 - 02:26' post='524092']
I agree with you though. Ratner is .. boring to me. He's a capable director, just not that good of one.

Indeed, they is something about Ratner, that I can't put my finger on. Each one could have been better, than they were. But, they all lack something.

#79 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:08 AM

Well, I finally bought it. No, I havent watched it yet; but I will soon. I'm showing my girlfriend the Bond films in order (we're due to watch Thunderball next). Once we finish all 20 Bond films we'll pop in Layer Cake and see how Craig fairs, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on him (and the film) once I watch it.

#80 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:17 AM

I finally watched Layer Cake, and man oh man! I have to admit I had faith in Craig before but even then I was still on the fence, well after seeing Layer Cake I am no longer on the fence...I'm against him!

J/k :D Layer Cake was a great film, but what held it together was Craig's performance, he has convinced me he can carry a film (the only other films I've seen him in are Tomb Raider and Munich) and he carry's himself really well. It was almost too hard to believe he was a thug who was scared of guns and got beat up a lot. The way Craig carries himself he oozes menace. If Craig walked into a room I believe he'd be able to kick the living :tup: out of everyone in the room. I remember Mankewitz once telling a story about how Connery's Bond would kill a girl with a dinner knife, than tell the waiter he has nothing to cut his meat with...I believe Craig could pull that off too!

I tell you, I think we got a winner here, is he as handsome as Pierce? No, but I think he has it where it counts. Here's to five solid films with Daniel Craig :D

#81 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

So..... why did you say you were against him in your first paragraph? I'm a bit confused!

#82 Head of S

Head of S

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

So..... why did you say you were against him in your first paragraph? I'm a bit confused!

J/k = just kidding?

#83 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:05 PM

Oh I see; not up on intey-net phraseology, obviously!

#84 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

IMHO I'm ROFLMAO, FYI.

#85 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:42 PM

Why would you have an opinion on whether you're laughing or not? :tup:

#86 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

Layer Cake was a great film, but what held it together was Craig's performance, he has convinced me he can carry a film (the only other films I've seen him in are Tomb Raider and Munich) and he carry's himself really well. It was almost too hard to believe he was a thug who was scared of guns and got beat up a lot. The way Craig carries himself he oozes menace. If Craig walked into a room I believe he'd be able to kick the living :tup: out of everyone in the room. I remember Mankewitz once telling a story about how Connery's Bond would kill a girl with a dinner knife, than tell the waiter he has nothing to cut his meat with...I believe Craig could pull that off too!

I tell you, I think we got a winner here, is he as handsome as Pierce? No, but I think he has it where it counts. Here's to five solid films with Daniel Craig :D

Agreed. The film is basically a rather standard crime film but Craig is excellent in the role.

#87 jake speed

jake speed

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

Layer Cake was a welcome chance to see one of Britain's finest actors at work.A humble,versatile,inventive performer who was in a different class to the rest of the cast...step forward Michael Gambon and take a bow.

#88 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

Why would you have an opinion on whether you're laughing or not? :tup:

Ooh, look who's all "down with the lingo" when it suits him!

I'm going to kill you.

#89 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:25 AM

Yes, I am not sure I had the same experience, after only seeing him in "Sylvia". Bit of a different character there.

I think he will do a great job as Bond though.... :tup:

Edited by DaveBond21, 16 June 2006 - 02:25 AM.

#90 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

Yep, L4YER CAKE is [censored]ing brilliant.