46 replies to this topic

#31 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:44 AM

There was only one Tim Dalton, I don't see Craig being compared to him, totally different.

Dalton looked like Bond, rolling stones mag said he was genetically engeered to play the role, Dalton was considered as Bond decades back before he got the role. This type of casting doesn't happen often, lightening doesn't strike twice so easily.

Did anyone even give Daniel Craig a proper thought as Bond as the rumours went on this year? Jackman and Owen ruled these forums, very surprised EON couldn't get them.

I believe if theres actors people really like as Bond, EON should get them.

Brosnan
Jackman
Owen
Christian Bale

They scream Bond.

#32 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:23 AM

I think people just liked choosing that "Double-O-Awful" choice!

But it is funny that they saw this demographic being attracted to the series, so they decided to change it. :)

"Ah, here it is..., "Redundant: See: Redundant".

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:26 AM

I think people just liked choosing that "Double-O-Awful" choice!

View Post

Probably.

#34 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:41 AM

Did anyone even give Daniel Craig a proper thought as Bond as the rumours went on this year? Jackman and Owen ruled these forums, very surprised EON couldn't get them.

I think that there were a few that thought Craig would make a good Bond once his name came up in rumors. I know that he was my first choice soon after his name popped up, and there seemed to be others around on the site that were at least open to the idea at the time.

#35 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:53 AM

Jackman and Owen ruled these forums, very surprised EON couldn't get them.

View Post

As I understand it, Eon and Sony didn't want them. Why should they care if a handful of fanboys - who are bound to see the film anyway - are making themselves busy on the internet?

#36 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:28 AM

Also, why are talking about children as Bond

#37 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

Whats the fuss about? :) Kids won't have seen Craig in anything, they don't know who he is. The majority are therefore reserving judgement - and very sensible they are to.

#38 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

[quote name='Shrublands' date='17 October 2005 - 17:54'][quote name='Bond Bug' date='17 October 2005 - 16:48']So much for Michael G Wilson stating that they hired Craig to attact a younger audience, British children's show, Newsround, has conducted an online poll, promoted on their TV news reports to see what their viewers think of Daniel Craig as Bond.

The results are:

#39 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:39 PM

[quote name='avl' date='18 October 2005 - 07:56']Whats the fuss about?

Edited by Bond Bug, 18 October 2005 - 09:40 PM.

#40 Blue07

Blue07

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

Think its great that the kids dont like him, perhaps then they can make a Bond film that doesnt create set pieces just to sell computer games to young kids. Didn't like to hear Wilson talking about a new Bond to attract a younger demographic - Bond is a franchise enjoyed by a wide age range and shouldnt be flashed up to keep the kids happy. If it aint broke don't fix it.

#41 SirHilary

SirHilary

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Have you ever heard the expression: clutching at straws?

13% back Craig! 87% wouldn't say he was a great choice! What we are looking at is an absolute meltdown in support for the next James Bond.

View Post

This looks like another attempt by the anti-Craig brigade to 'clutch at straws' to me. Polling children on 'Newsround', eh? Lets ask the girl guides & the 'Harry Potter fan club' while we're at it, they should have the definitive opinion on Craig, I'd say. :)

Give the kids some credit Bond Bug! At least they appear to want to see Craig in the film first before they decide, unlike some.

Edited by SirHilary, 18 October 2005 - 09:59 PM.

#42 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:13 PM

View Post

As I understand it, Eon and Sony didn't want them. Why should they care if a handful of fanboys - who are bound to see the film anyway - are making themselves busy on the internet?

View Post

NO NO, don't go there, even on the MSN pole thing, Brosnan, Jackman and Owen were voted most popular, there were not just popular on this forum or the internet. And publically, Jackman was Bond to be really, most bond fan's didn't mind, and the public in newspaper and mags usually had him high up the list, Owen as well, heck even Brosnan menstioned Owen and Jackman last year. They had to be considered. So if Sony/EON didn't want them, their fools!

#43 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:33 AM

All of the polls I've seen so far on Craig, both British and American, have been disappointing. Today's poll over at IMDB is following in the same vein. Honestly, the way some members seem to be able to put a positive spin on these poll results suggests to me that some of you could have a career in politics. :) I think that the very best that could be said of them so far is that the general public seems very wary of Craig's appointment. Hardly a ringing endorsement. In fact, the only poll result that could remotely be construed as positive is the one on this site, and let's face it we are all so obsessively supportive of Bond, that we were always likely to rally round.

However, there is no need to panic at this stage, and there is still plenty of time to turn things round. Craig will look more like Bond in the actual film than he did at the press conference, and than he does in current pictures. That, coupled with a good performance may still win hearts and minds. Craig and Eon's (or is it Sony's?) marketing department have some work to do though.

#44 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:00 AM

Like it or not: We're stuck with Craig.

#45 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:47 AM

Think its great that the kids dont like him, perhaps then they can make a Bond film that doesnt create set pieces just to sell computer games to young kids. Didn't like to hear Wilson talking about a new Bond to attract a younger demographic - Bond is a franchise enjoyed by a wide age range and shouldnt be flashed up to keep the kids happy. If it aint broke don't fix it.

View Post

Agree one hundred percent. The Bond we love is an adult hero: he has always been seen by boys who think "I want to be like him when I grow up."

The Bond we love is not one seen by men who think, "I wish I had been like him when I was younger."

In other words: Bond is someone to be looked up to, not back at.

#46 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:58 AM

They had to be considered. So if Sony/EON didn't want them, their fools!

View Post

I see, they had to be considered because the public said so? Since when do they have to listen to the public?

We don't know what the hell we want!

#47 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:16 AM

View Post

View Post

NO NO, don't go there, even on the MSN pole thing, Brosnan, Jackman and Owen were voted most popular, there were not just popular on this forum or the internet. And publically, Jackman was Bond to be really, most bond fan's didn't mind, and the public in newspaper and mags usually had him high up the list, Owen as well, heck even Brosnan menstioned Owen and Jackman last year. They had to be considered. So if Sony/EON didn't want them, their fools!

View Post

It