131 replies to this topic

#121 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

I wonder: is the desire to see Craig as Bond one more time as great as it was back then to see Brosnan continue?

I get the feeling that even the biggest Craig fans right now would be okay with re-casting.  Even during the Hiddleston craze it didn´t feel very hostile around here.

#122 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

I want Craig back!

The only other proposition i'd be enticed by is Nolan & Hardy.

#123 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

I think it's a bit different this time, his fans would love to see him back - but since SPECTRE already was conceived as a "little" goodbye I think most could deal with a new actor. My impression is numerous people are more concerned with seeing the Blofeld angle picked up again. Which would not be a given if Craig leaves Bond behind for good.

#124 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

I'd be sad if Daniel called it a day. But it wouldn't be wholly surprising considering all the noise he's made over the last 2 years ("slit my wrists" , etc). If we do get one more with Craig it would be a nice bonus, not business as usual.

I know for me personally I would feel much less sadness for Craig if I were enthusiastic about his replacement.

#125 AngusMcLean

AngusMcLean

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Even though I am a big fan of DC's, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he stepped aside as long as his replacement was up to the task. It feels like he has been around for a long time now, but has only a handful of films to show for it (not his fault, of course). The whole "slit my wrists" episode still doesn't sit well with me and makes me wonder whether the tail is wagging the dog to some degree. All that said, DC is a fine Bond and has contributed strongly to the canon.

#126 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I agree that fans were more concerned to get Brosnan back compared to what we see now with Craig. But I don't think that's any indication that Brosnan was more popular as Bond...

A difference between today and 2005 is that maybe a larger portion of the fan community have already experienced a shift in lead actor. Maybe that wasn't as common back in 2005, mainly due to the six year gap between LTK and GE and all the new fans that Brosnan brought to the series. In addition, back in 2004/2005 a "successful" Bond actor did 6-7 films. Period. This is what everyone was expecting from Brosnan, but now we have gotten more used to the idea that four films may be "enough" for an era.

Also with Brosnan there were always some frustation that he never got what he deserved. With DAD so messed up it just seemed natural for Brosnan to get a more down-to-earth picture á la FYEO.

Personally, I think they should do 1 or maybe 2-3 films more with Craig. A formula were each actor does four films is simply too predictable and not good for the series.

#127 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

I wonder: is the desire to see Craig as Bond one more time as great as it was back then to see Brosnan continue?

Great point. Takes me back to circa 2004 when fans made no bones about their like or dislike for Brosnan in the role. Now it seems like ennui has taken hold. Even the two dozen or so Craig-Not-Bond stalwarts don't seem that energized.

#128 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

The Craig-not-Bond gang always was a vocal minority more toted by the tabloids than their number justified - and many of them have been won over by the films subsequently. I think today the punters and spin doctors pitching the case for their would-be successors are more active than those hating Craig in the role. What many fans really seem to hate is the prospect of yet another reboot after Craig.

#129 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

It will probably happen again when Craig steps down:  X-not-Craig.com...

Audiences are very fickle. 

#130 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Personally, I would like to see Craig stick around for 2-3 more films. Many will suggest he will be too old. I disagree. I think it all depends on what kind of shape he is in and right now, he still looks pretty good to me.

#131 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:59 PM

There is no doubt a reasonably fit actor such as Craig could play Bond even a little longer. But that's hardly the point in a business where everything it seems is tailored to catering to audiences under 30.

So chances are Craig will be replaced much sooner. And since he himself flirted with leaving the role that's probably for the better. I wager the last thing fans - casual and hardcore - want to see is a reluctant Craig sleepwalking through a seriously botched production.

#132 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

I wager the last thing fans - casual and hardcore - want to see is a reluctant Craig sleepwalking through a seriously botched production.

*cough* Spectre *cough*