91 replies to this topic

#31 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

I agree with most of what you said, except about the music being bad.  Granted, it was different from the other Bond films, but I thought it was refreshing to hear something different.

View Post

I also like the music...It was great to hear something different for a change.

#32 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:03 PM

GoldenEye is a great film and it shouldn't be the subject of this thread, it was very fun to watch and it revived the series. The only thing negative I can think to say of the movie is that the N64 video game was probably better. :) But then again, not many things beat GE64.

#33 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:07 AM

Let me just start out with saying that GoldenEye is my favorite Bond film and that I will do whatever to defend it.

PTS- One of the best in the series... they didn't make it 15 minutes long and they set up the film perfectly. I know that the plane catching thing was far fetched, but this is the same film series in which he waterskis on the back of an airplane, flys a spaceshuttle, shoots a voodoo master,and paraglides on a glacier. It's James frickin Bond. The whole PTS is excellent in which he infilitrates the facility by jumping off a dam(possibly the best stunt in any of the films) doing what he has to do by planting explosives and escapes in a typical Bond fashion.

The girls- not the best along Pussy Galore or Honey Ryder standards, but Natalya was very believeable and played the role well. Not a bimbo, but not James's equal either. Xenia was hot and was very sinister. I know Chuck Farrell died a happy man, cuz I know I would :)

The villians- Alec is my favorite villian. He wasn't a button pusher and barked orders at his 8 foot henchman. He planned everything, and excecuted it perfectally with faking his own death, Ourumov, Xenia and Boris. It was good to see a villian who had a relationship with Bond. They were best friends. And they knew everything about each other which made for a good film.

Action Sequences- Good, tank chase, Archives gunfight, One on One fight on a giant antenna. Good by my standards

Brosnan- He gave a good performance in his first outing. Starring in Remington Steele and other films gave him some good experience to play the role. It wasn't the best. DAD was his best performance IMO.

The Score- I enjoyed the score by Serra, even though his song sucked out loud in the end. The techno-esque theme during the action scenes are good. Different music for Bond, which needs every once in awile.

Other than that. This is an excellent Bond movie. Ironically, YOLT started this thread and that is my least favorite Bond film. No Fears, No Limits, No Substitiutes... Bond was back and better than ever.

#34 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:10 AM

"GoldenEye" for me was a satsifying Bond film. I noticed how the audience, particularly of the female persuasion, really enjoyed the film. They liked the banter between Bond and Moneypenny in particular. The film sets out to entertain. The music is okay except the few occasions where it is embarrassingly bad, such as the DB5/Ferrari chase and the end title song. I found it amusing how Wilson and Campbell defend the score in the commentary track...yet it's never explained exactly why this supposedly adequate score was replaced for the tank chase in favor of something more traditional. Can you imagine the panic mode the filmmakers must have been in when they first heard the score Serra submitted? If I were them my teeth probably would have fallen out.

I was thrilled with the hand-to-hand combat between 007 and Trevelyan. I was also happy to see Brosnan as Bond with lightning-fast reflexes. This film had better filmmaking skills behind it than its immediate predecessor (except for stunts). Also feel that this stands as Kleinman's best title design. The dialogue is decent, and it's nice to have the one-liners back...and well delivered.

#35 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

I can easily say that out of the last 5 007 films only TND satisfyied me. Goldeneye may be a better film than TND but not a better 007 film. While TND cries "I am a pure 007 film" GE doesnt.

#36 Captain Indigo

Captain Indigo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

the goldeneye computer game made it a classic for me and the only pierce brosnan film i like

#37 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:03 AM

Goldeneye is like the new testment for 90s newbie bond fans back in the day, who just happened to see it and catch on to bond..same with Goldfinger, its almost as if they are (This is retarded)--->Baby boomer Bond flicks...lol Die Another Day is not, The Worlds Not Enough is not, Tomorrow Never Dies makes the cut but not as much as Goldeneye

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:41 AM

[quote name='DLibrasnow' date='6 September 2005 - 18:21'][quote name='tdalton' date='4 September 2005 - 11:31']I agree with most of what you said, except about the music being bad.

#39 Mina Galore

Mina Galore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:53 AM

I personally love it. It has a good story and it feels classic. It was like a bridge for Bond out of the Cold War and it was successful.

#40 Connery_Moore_Gods

Connery_Moore_Gods

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

The most overrated Bond film is The World Is Not Enough, and it takes that prize with ease. GoldenEye on the other hand, I am rather fond of.

#41 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:09 PM

Like a few others here, I'm also a member of the "Goldfinger is the most overrated film of the series" club.

As Mr.* pointed out, Goldeneye is certainly not the most overrated film of the series, but it's not underrated, either. One of the more interesting villains of the series is present here, and it makes for a bloody good fight scene at the end. Unfortunately, some glaring plot holes are also present, which keep it from being better than Tomorrow Never Dies (also has plot holes, but at least the film is more Bond-ish) in my opinion.

An improvement over LTK, at least. Which I think is what the filmmakers intended, especially when they set the pretitles in 1986, the snooty little buggers.

#42 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

Man steals money.

Woo-hoo.

Man renders all of the money he's just stolen worthless by destroying the fourth largest economy in the world.

That's no plot, it's just some dialogue filling in for the explosions and some well-combed hair.

Crap.

#43 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:21 PM

Well, Jim, all screenwriters don't have the wit and imagination you do.

#44 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

I know; their tragedy.

#45 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

Man steals money.

Woo-hoo.

Man renders all of the money he's just stolen worthless by destroying the fourth largest economy in the world.

That's no plot, it's just some dialogue filling in for the explosions and some well-combed hair.

Crap.

View Post

Indeed I really like the plot. What I "hate" is the too much personalizing of Bond. Destroying economically London and UK is really a good idea. But the film is not about this, its about Natalya and the Bond-Trevelyan struggle.

#46 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:44 PM

A pretty good film that resurrected a dead franchise, but could and should have been much better. Hasn't aged well (looks about 20 years old in places instead of 10). Good action scenes and a decent debut for Brosnan, but too much silly "comic relief", too many boring stretches, too much greyness, too many hammy performances, and too much pretentiousness. And, as Jim points out, not much of a story.

Certainly has its moments, though. Oh, and the most overrated Bond film - by far - is THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

#47 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

A pretty good film that resurrected a dead franchise, but could and should have been much better. Hasn't aged well (looks about 20 years old in places instead of 10). Good action scenes and a decent debut for Brosnan, but too much silly "comic relief", too many boring stretches, too much greyness, too many hammy performances, and too much pretentiousness. And, as Jim points out, not much of a story.

Certainly has its moments, though. Oh, and the most overrated Bond film - by far - is THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

View Post

Definitely hear ya about THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. It's good... just not that good. The second half is pretty boring...

That said, though, GoldenEye is solidly the best Brosnan film, regardless of all of the above criticisms. Hammy performances came to define the Brosnan era, methinks...

#48 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

Man steals money.

Woo-hoo.

Crap.

View Post

Someone forgot to tell the writer or 006 that money is just paper unless a goverment can back it's value.Poor little Alec failed Econ 101,LOL. :)

#49 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

View Post

But it's such a good one. :)

#50 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

View Post

Well said. Agreed.

Edited by Roger_Moore's_Bad_Facelift, 17 September 2005 - 10:09 PM.

#51 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

It's a decent Bond film, although I'm not a fan of the music and I sometimes wince at how obvious the stunt doubles are. Still, on the whole it's solid stuff that will always go down well in most Bond-loving households. There are so many iconic (in the 007 world anyway) moments in the film - bungee jump, Dench's first appearance, Onatopp using her thighs to kill a man, the tank chase, and the fact that the film spawned the best James Bond video game of all time.

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:37 AM

and the fact that the film spawned the best James Bond video game of all time.

View Post

Only the best James Bond video game of all time?

#53 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:10 AM

Well, I'm not a fan of first person shooting games. Goldeneye was the one game of the genre I ever found fun to play.

#54 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

View Post

But it's such a good one. :)

View Post

Yes, it is. It's very good indeed (and just seems to get better and better as the years pass), but that's not to say that it isn't preposterously overrated too. If that makes any sense.

Agreed with Scottlee on GOLDENEYE, apart from on one point: what's so great about the tank chase? I've always found it an extremely underwhelming action sequence, memorable for just two things: the amusing moment where Brosnan straightens his tie (nicely done, in contrast to the absolutely stupid bit in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH when he straightens it underwater), and an incredibly blatant ad for Perrier.

Apart from which, the chase is indifferently staged, shot and edited, with absolutely no sense of danger, no thrills, a lot of really fake-looking stuff, and too much goofy so-called comic relief (Gottfried John hamming it up royally and swigging booze, for instance). It makes the MOONRAKER Bondola sequence look like the Moscow car duel in THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, and rivals the parahawk scene in TWINE as the most poorly-done and forgettable action episode of the Brosnan era.

#55 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

The tank sequences isn't one of my favourite of all time, but I do at least enjoy and respect it. The opening where Bond bursts through the wall to the theme tune is totally cool, as is most of the chase that follows. You have to at least concede that this idea is an original one.

There is only one thing that bugs me, and it happens just after the chase is over. How did Bond's tank, after being on top of that bridge, get so far ahead of the train?

Edited by Scottlee, 25 September 2005 - 12:01 PM.

#56 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

The tank sequences isn't one of my favourite of all time, but I do at least enjoy and respect it. The opening where Bond bursts through the wall to the theme tune is totally cool, as is most of the chase that follows. You have to at least concede that this idea is an original one.

View Post

It's a good enough idea, but the execution is nothing special at all.

How did Bond's tank, after being on top of that bridge, get so far ahead of the train?

View Post

Good question.

#57 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

[/QUOTE] Definitely hear ya about THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. It's good... just not that good. The second half is pretty boring...

[QUOTE]That said, though, GoldenEye is solidly the best Brosnan film, regardless of all of the above criticisms. Hammy performances came to define the Brosnan era, methinks... [COLOR=red]:) YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!! Simply put, Goldeneye is one of THE BEST Bond flims ever. Acting: teriffic. Music: great. Story: lovely. I don't see what you guys think is wrong with the flim.

darthbond

#58 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

The only one of Brosnan's that looks Bond to me (not very much, but a lot more than the other three).
It looks old fashioned, but that was the intention. I actually loved the art direction of it. The score is awfull but at least they tried to be creative with it. And the titles sequence was really refreshing.
Yet, it could have been a lot better with some major plot alterations; read my post in the remakes thread. If only they weren't so unoriginal with the stories...

#59 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

Definitely hear ya about THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. It's good... just not that good. The second half is pretty boring...

That said, though, GoldenEye is solidly the best Brosnan film, regardless of all of the above criticisms. Hammy performances came to define the Brosnan era, methinks...                                                                          [COLOR=red]:) YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!! Simply put, Goldeneye is one of THE BEST Bond flims ever. Acting: teriffic. Music: great. Story: lovely. I don't see what you guys think is wrong with the flim.

darthbond

View Post

This thread is more than about putting it simply. Other forum members have stated what they think is wrong with the film. Why don't you tell us why these other things are "terrific, great, lovely" rather than just using a blanket statement to cover it?

#60 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:41 AM

Goldeneye is one of my personal favorites, although that's mostly out of love for the video game. Still, I find it to be enjoyable enough. It seemed to be the last considerably 'old-school' Bond film before they went, imho, far more action-oriented with TND. I absolutely adore TND as a movie, but Goldeneye is the only Brosnan film to me that feels like an actual Bond adventure.