3181 replies to this topic

#3151 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

The Saints will win every game in the French Quarter.

I don't think my liver will make it through the season.

#3152 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

Steelers!

#3153 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:20 AM

Bolts all the way! I aint giving up! :D

#3154 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

Colin Kaepernick is banged up and has a "dead arm"...Boy, am I glad that trade with the 49ers never worked out!! :P 1 pre-season game in and I'm liking what I've seen so far from Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch. Lynch, has a ways to go, so its either gonna be Sanchez or Siemian who gets the starting QB nod.. :)

#3155 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:20 PM

Looks we dodged a bullet avoiding the Kap trade, Dove. WHEW. Dude looks like he's lost forty pounds and has a "dead arm"!

Gonna be a crazy season for Denver, though. We are working our way back to a competitive AFC West and that's a good thing in my eyes.

GO BRONCOS

#3156 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:09 AM

Denver will be fine.  When Mark Sanchez has had weapons around him and a lights-out defense, he can be successful enough to put the team in a position to make a deep playoff run.  And, honestly, he's a terrific postseason QB, which is something that always gets forgotten when people talk about him.  

Really, all he has to do is be serviceable and he'll be ahead of the QB play that Manning provided last season.

#3157 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

I follow NFL when I can, I'm hoping to see Packers in the Superbowl. They've been unlucky the last couple of years.

#3158 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

I'd take the Packers' recent run of bad luck any day over what the Jets consider to be success.  ;)

Another long and painful season, here we come.

#3159 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

I'd take the Packers' recent run of bad luck any day over what the Jets consider to be success.   ;)

It's gotta be tough for you tdalton!  :P

#3160 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

I'd take the Packers' recent run of bad luck any day over what the Jets consider to be success.   ;)

It's gotta be tough for you tdalton!  :P

It used to be.  I've gotten over it, though.  They're terrible.  Always have been, always will be.  

The Packers should be poised for a rebound, though.  Eddie Lacy looks pretty good so far this preseason, which should give them the running game they didn't have last year to balance the passing attack.

#3161 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

Let's hope so!

#3162 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

the San Dieg...uh er The LA Chargers will win it all next year! :angry: 

#3163 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

It's hard to see the sunny side of this move. Lots of disappointed and angry fans here in San Diego.

Also many strange and unsubstantiated rumors flying around, such as Philip Rivers wanting to be traded (possibly to Denver). Ugh

#3164 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

It sure is going to feel VERY strange for the Broncos and Chiefs to be facing the Las Vegas Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers in the coming years.. :wacko:
My condolences, Tarl_Cabot..

Don't know about Philip Rivers being traded to Denver, Eric. but the hot rumor is Tony Romo wants to be a Bronco..Meh, if we can't fix the offensive line problems this offseason, he wouldn't  stand a chance. I'm actually pretty hopeful about new coach Vance Joseph and the fact he brought McCoy in as O-coordinator and Bill Musgrave as QB coach. I'm sad we're losing Wade Philips to the Rams though.. :sad: Kyle Shanahan would have been my first choice for coach but sometimes the obvious choices aren't always the best ones..Fingers crossed for a promising 2017 season.

#3165 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

I think Romo goes to the Texans.

#3166 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Thanks The Dove...Phillip Rivers doesn't wanna be traded and I will still be a fan of the team...most chargers fans have always had a low opinion of the owners so this isn't really that new since moving to LA has been threatened for over a decade. Its sucks. But I really like the recent draft classes so there's a reason to watch them. We have a new Head coach at least. Man, I wish SD went to Vegas instead! That would a great weekend getaway! B) 

Stub hub is just 30k seats...that could be pretty neat to watch an NFL game there...like a high school venue. Very intimate.

Romo to Texans makes more sense than Denver.

#3167 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

It's hard to see the sunny side of this move. Lots of disappointed and angry fans here in San Diego.

The Twitter feed behind the Tampa Bay Lightning and the L.A. Dodgers ripping the new L.A. Chargers logo was pretty entertaining ...

https://twitter.com/...596619943440384

#3168 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

The Twitter feed behind the Tampa Bay Lightning and the L.A. Dodgers ripping the new L.A. Chargers logo was pretty entertaining ...

https://twitter.com/...596619943440384

Now the Chargers has gotten rid of that lame alternate logo, like it never was introduced in the first place. I live in the L.A region and it's pretty sad of the reception that the Chargers have gotten so far. It's really a Raider town so I don't see anyone that is going to warm up to the Chargers until they start winning, like now. They belong in San Diego, as well as the Raiders should stay in Oakland. These recent moves are pretty petty, but hey it's a business. Fans should realize money-grubbing owners like Spanos and Stan "Ugly Toupee" Kroenke don't owe us anything. 

#3169 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:18 AM

It might be cool to see NFL football in a 27,000 seat stadium in Carson for the next couple of years.  I live in the Bay Area and while Raider fans are bummed about the move to LV, other Bay  area residents are considering a Vegas trip to see an NFL game.

I lived in L.A. in 1995 when both the Rams and Raiders left within weeks of each other.  Al Davis blew an opportunity to own that town once the Rams left.  Like you said, lots of Raider fans there.

#3170 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Well it's going to be Falcons and Pats for Super Bowl LI. Naturally the Pats are the favorites, but I'm most definitely NOT counting out Matt Ryan and the Falcons. Don't have an exact score prediction yet but I should have one next week sometime. Let's hope for a thrilling game and not another blow out like most of the post-season games have been.

#3171 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

Atlanta's 13-5 Falcons are averaging 34 points per game but giving up 25. New England's 16-2 Patriots average 28 points and give up only 16. But New England has only exceeded 40 points twice and Atlanta has done it five times.

The worst Atlanta did was score 15 and in another game 19. Contrast that with New England being shut out once (week 4, no Brady, but against the Bills), and scoring just 15 in their other loss. Still, to beat Atlanta you need to score 35 points. How often has New England done that? Five times. The best they've done? NE 43 and Atl 48.  Atlanta is the eighth best offense of all time, just ahead of the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf.

There's a formula called the Pythagorean Expectation and when applied to the Patriots it's 76.5% for the entire season and Atlanta is 65.8%.  However, on just their two playoff games these percentages are 81.8% for New England and 79.2% for Atlanta.  This formula predicted 63% of all games correctly (166-100), and had a correlation factor of 0.86 and explains 74.6% of the variance between points scored and Win-Loss percentage through the regular season.  It was also pretty good at predicting upsets.  By way of contrast, Nate Silver's 538.com's complicated elo calculations only predicted 147 games accurately through the playoffs (56.7%.)  Still, based on the points scored and allowed per game for each team, I'm predicting,

Falcons 27

Patriots 24

#3172 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Interesting facts, Professor.. Hmm.. 27-24.. I'll bet Gostkowski misses a field goal for the Pats and time runs out? :)

#3173 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Yes, very neat analysis, Professor Pi. I'm going to adopt your equation and add my own intuition.

Atlanta 41

New England 24

#3174 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

What score does it have to be for them both to lose.

#3175 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

Ok I've got my score for tomorrow.. Falcons 34, Patriots 30.. enjoy the game everyone!

#3176 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

Patriots to win.

#3177 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:29 AM

Patriots to win.

Told you!

;)

#3178 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

Amazing game. I was on the edge of my seat. Tom Brady is an all time great, that's for sure.

#3179 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

The two playoff teams that scored the most points in the regular season ended up in Super Bowl LI. The team that allowed the most lost. Only five teams allowed more points than Atlanta (NO, SD, SF, NYJ, CLE) and none of them were in the playoffs.

New England did not look like themselves the first half. Mistakes, drops, and a pick six led to a 28-3 "insurmountable" Atlanta lead. At one point, Matt Ryan had a perfect passer rating. So on a 3rd and 1, he drops deep in the pocket only to get sacked. Who'd have thought the winning move was to kick a field goal on first down at the Pats' 22?  Then Atlanta would be up 11 with six minutes to go.

But the Falcons made compounding mistakes from then on. Holding, sacks, an interception. Their inexperience showed as they couldn't keep the Pats away. New England's victory seemed inevitable even though they were still down 16 points. Two touchdowns and two 2 point conversions? I couldn't help but think of Joe Montana's John Candy comment as Brady walked into the huddle. Lots had to go New England's way--a miraculous catch, a defensive meltdown, and a coin toss all leading to a never before seen record-breaking comeback. Brady went from goat to G.O.A.T. in two dozen minutes of football. There's no arguing that any more.

Two years ago Pete Carroll gave Brady his fourth Super Bowl victory. But this time Brady earned it. Even stoic Bill Belichick seemed downright giddy talking to Chris Berman after the game. You can't make mistakes against this team. They're damn good at everything they do.

When the Patriots beat you in the Super Bowl, it's a death knell on the losing franchise.  The Rams, Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, and now the Falcons.  Nice knowing you, Atlanta.  Top ten highest scoring team of all time, but only three of those won Super Bowls.  Don't think Atlanta will even be back in the playoffs next year (losing teams usually aren't.)    Brady and Belichick are the only holdovers from their first Super Bowl.  All the players and coaches have changed since then.  They'll be back for more.

#3180 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

Well I was close with my picks..just didn't figure on it being the wrong way around.. hah!! Wow what a game.. :)