100 replies to this topic

#61 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:38 AM

By the way i've just seen The Fantastic Four and I actually enjoyed the movie as shallow on the dumb side fun. Anyway the movie wasn't particularly written or directed too well therefore not giving the actors much help--BUT that said Ioan didn't come off very Bondian. He was closest in Arthur but even then, though I like him as an actor, he falls short of Bond--too slight and too young. BUT suprisingly Julian McMahon did come off as someone who could be a credible Bond--before I didn't think so. He still wouldn't be my favorite for the role but I wouldn't complain much and would keep an open mind. He would certainly be better than Goran BUT so would most other candidates also.

#62 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:07 AM

ROTFLMAO Seannery. :)

Well, I have to agree with your disagreement, even though you do not agree with my agreement with my agreed choice of Bond. I have to agree with you that if you had agreed in my agreement of Goran as Bond, we would of both been in agreement. However, as you're disagreeing in my agreement of Goran as Bond, then we have to agree to disagree. Agreed?. :)

I'll tell you the truth and say that I've given up caring who's going to take over the role. We've had more chat about who's going to play Bond #6 than what it's worth, so I'd rather bet on a rank outsider because at least I know I will not be disappointed if he didn't get it. :)

All the best,

Cheers,

C. Owen. :)

Bondian my friend I could not disagree more with you here.  I would be highly disappointed with Goran as Bond.  He just plain isn't Bondian and even his vaunted looks are off the Bondian target.  Please no Goran.  Bondian YOU are  more Bondian than Goran is Bondian. :)  This is a very Bondian post. :)

Cheers,

Seannery

View Post

#63 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:31 AM

[quote name='Bondian' date='24 July 2005 - 06:07']ROTFLMAO Seannery.  :)

Well, I have to agree with your disagreement, even though you do not agree with my agreement with my agreed choice of Bond. I have to agree with you that if you had agreed in my agreement of Goran as Bond, we would of both been in agreement. However, as you're disagreeing in my agreement of Goran as Bond, then we have to agree to disagree. Agreed?.  :)

I'll tell you the truth and say that I've given up caring who's going to take over the role. We've had more chat about who's going to play Bond #6 than what it's worth, so I'd rather bet on a rank outsider because at least I know I will not be disappointed if he didn't get it.  :)

All the best,

Cheers,

C. Owen.  :) 

[quote name='Seannery' date='24 July 2005 - 04:11']Bondian my friend I could not disagree more with you here.

#64 MarJil

MarJil

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:55 AM

Only for you, I'm afraid.  :)  The general public wouldn't have a problem with Adrian being Bond. They already see him as an excellent candidate for the role, verified by various polls in numerous countries ( and I'm not talking about internet polls where voters can vote more than once, although...I must say those do illustrate determined fans who would most likely buy multiple tickets.)  :)

View Post

The general public doesn't know Adrian Paul from Adam Paul because his profile is so low. At least the other contenders have had roles that we might have heard of in the past 5 years, or are young and have a future. Practically the only people who know who he is are avid Highlander fans and a few Bond fans who scoped him out for the role 12 years ago (mainly because of his resemblence to Connery) and don't consider that he's just a few years younger than Pierce. Yes, I know Roger was 46 when he got the role and so is AP, but that was 30 years ago when younger audiences didn't matter so much as they do now. Trading in 52 year old Pierce for 46 year old AP makes little sense on EON's part. One of the polls you spoke of (listed on CBn main page) added a paragraph to their poll that singled out AP fans for trying to stuff the ballot box and cancelled out those who voted for him more than once, so obviously its a small but loyal group who are "determined" to help their guy out in any way they can. And by the way, once those people who voted more than once were cancelled out, AP's percentage of the vote went from 43% to 0%.

#65 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:20 AM

I think that this late in the game, people should stop bringing up hopefuls (like Adrian Paul) that they know have ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of being cast as Bond, no matter how good they might be, and should only focus on the main candidates. It would be great if some of the people who are simply too unknown, too ugly, or too old to play Bond would be in the final running, but that is too quixotic (idealistic, but not practical) to hope for. For example, it would have been great if Clive Owen was signed months ago, but all of this young Bond crap has pushed him out of the running almost indefinitely [tear...] I wish that people would stop bringing up people like Adrian Paul, some unknown actor, or whoever and just stick to the most practical candidates at the moment.

#66 Rogue Agent

Rogue Agent

Discharged

• Discharged
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:43 AM

If the news of the final four candidates - their names revealed is correct - then the franchise is in desperate 'life threatening' trouble. I am shocked by some of the candidates mentioned. Eon must do the sane thing and delay the film till 2007 and look for some better choices. Just my opinion of course.:)

#67 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

Never though I'd agree with that...but yes those choices are atrocious. Could just be another rumor though.

#68 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

I disagree. EON and SONY will have looked at every possible candidate by now. And I like Goran Visjnic. The fact that he is not British is indeed strange. Yet, he is a great actor. And the fact that he spoke with accent on ER does not prove that he can

#69 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

I think that this late in the game, people should stop bringing up hopefuls (like Adrian Paul) that they know have ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of being cast as Bond, no matter how good they might be, and should only focus on the main candidates. It would be great if some of the people who are simply too unknown, too ugly, or too old to play Bond would be in the final running, but that is too quixotic (idealistic, but not practical) to hope for. For example, it would have been great if Clive Owen was signed months ago, but all of this young Bond crap has pushed him out of the running almost indefinitely [tear...] I wish that people would stop bringing up people like Adrian Paul, some unknown actor, or whoever and just stick to the most practical candidates at the moment.

View Post

It is YOUR opinion Adrian Paul doesn't stand a chance at Bond. I hold a different opinion and will voice it on this board if I am so inclined. I have never told you or anyone else to hold back their comments, no matter how much I disagreed with them. Marjil's comments regarding Adrian Paul is a prime example; as much as I dislike hearing his comments in his "Hate Paul" campaign, I respond politely or don't comment at all, even when he is dead wrong.

#70 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

View Post

Hey, dude. This is the innernet where we can say jus aboud anything we goddam please and geddaway withit. Who's are you to tell us who to bring up or nart?

Me, I'm holdin out for that Sean guy to come back again....

#71 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

[quote name='SecretAgentFan' date='24 July 2005 - 08:17']EON and Martin Campbell wouldn

#72 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

You don't buy that Sunday Mirror piece, do you? It's a complete hoax.

#73 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:47 PM

[quote name='MarJil' date='24 July 2005 - 07:55'][quote name='Pussycat' date='24 July 2005 - 03:11']Only for you, I'm afraid.

#74 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

View Post

OF COURSE NOT!!! Sorry, I didn't end my post with a :)

I agree that a couple of names may be legit, but that is not one of them.

#75 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:52 PM

View Post

Pussfeller i'm certainly inclined to be with you on this one--the Sunday mirror first of all isn't the greatest source. Seems like a cheap attention getter for the most part. But I guess you can never say never. Though if I had money on it, I would certainly heavily bet against it being true.

#76 MarJil

MarJil

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:05 PM

[quote name='Seannery' date='24 July 2005 - 15:47']Marjil your bias against Adrian Paul is strong indeed. :) He's not a huge name BUT does have a modest name and a passionate core of fans and not nearly as small as you claim.

Edited by MarJil, 24 July 2005 - 07:06 PM.

#77 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

[quote name='MarJil' date='24 July 2005 - 19:05'][quote name='Seannery' date='24 July 2005 - 15:47']Marjil your bias against Adrian Paul is strong indeed. :) He's not a huge name BUT does have a modest name and a passionate core of fans and not nearly as small as you claim.

#78 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

[quote name='MarJil' date='24 July 2005 - 20:05'][quote name='Seannery' date='24 July 2005 - 15:47']Marjil your bias against Adrian Paul is strong indeed. :) He's not a huge name BUT does have a modest name and a passionate core of fans and not nearly as small as you claim.

#79 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:31 PM

View Post

Hey, dude. This is the innernet where we can say jus aboud anything we goddam please and geddaway withit. Who's are you to tell us who to bring up or nart?

Me, I'm holdin out for that Sean guy to come back again....

View Post

I'm not trying to tell you what you can and can't say on the internet, but it just seems like people are bringing up names that are quite a long shot from being cast. Adrian Paul might have done well in ONE of the thousands of polls that are online...so what? What difference does that REALLY MAKE in getting bringing the announcement date closer? What difference does that REALLY MAKE when it comes to getting a finished script soon or getting any progress whatsoever beyond the standard rumor mill gossip? You're right, this is the internet and people can say or post whatever they want, which at times is unfortunate, due to ALL of the false rumors that have been started over the past two years, especiallyy after the article posted this morning about the final four. That middle aged actor is just a big middle finger to all of the fans who are anxiously awaiting credible progress. If you're going to bitch and moan at someone "dude" then don't make it me. Wishful thinking won't get you very far in life, and it won't get ANY OF US CLOSER TO GETTING BOND # 6. If you're going to keep an open mind regarding the actor, at least keep your hopes practical and not too outlandish (Adrian Paul isn't a bankable enough actor. Maybe 10 years ago, but in 2005, it ain't happenin', "dude."

At least Goran Visnjic is known for a major, CURRENT role on one of the most popular TV shows in TV history. Highlander wasn't THAT big of a show (when compared to, say, "The Saint" or "Remington Steele.") Goran's character will probably become more prominent in the upcoming seasons, since Noah Wyle left the show.

Edited by bryonalston, 24 July 2005 - 08:35 PM.

#80 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:39 PM

Bond as been a seasoned 40 to 50 something since 1971 up until DAD. It's what has been expected and what works. So that is no problem. The only point some of us have is we shouldn't preclude debate because some think certain people won't be Bond--lets wait and see since none of us are Michael or Babs I presume. The person picked as Bond could suprise all us self-proclaimed experts. Let anyone talk about who they wish--you don't need to pay attention to something you don't like. Live and let live NOT die. :)

#81 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:44 PM

Bond as been a seasoned 40 to 50 something since 1971 up until DAD.  It's what has been expected and what works.  So that is no problem.

View Post

That's why Clive Owen is an optimal candidate. I personally think that it's EoN's fault for not casting him last year, before he became an instant star. He would have been the perfect Bond, and his salary demands for CR wouldn't have been too extravagant, since he would have been signed before the Golden Globes and Oscars.

#82 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

[quote name='bryonalston' date='24 July 2005 - 21:44'][quote name='Seannery' date='24 July 2005 - 12:39']Bond as been a seasoned 40 to 50 something since 1971 up until DAD.

#83 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

I certainly hope that Clive Owen is the card up EoN's sleeve right now. He is really the PERFECT candidate for Bond right now, and is a versatile enough actor to break free of the Bond typecast, (i.e., Connery) and not be cast in roles that are strikingly similar to 007 (i.e., Brosnan.) I think that the Bond curse will skip him if he's cast.

#84 Rogue Agent

Rogue Agent

Discharged

• Discharged
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

Clive Owen lacks the charm of Bond, surely? If you hear his voice, study his mannerism, they're not like Bond, imo.

Besides, and no offence to the many pro-Owen fans here at CBn, Barbara and MG only had to watch KING ARTHUR, the one leading Hollywood role Owen has appeared in, to see his shortcomings.

I think Owen is as much a risk as any other candidate. I just think he has the advantage of those cool BMW adverts/films to convince people he's Bond-like when there's compelling evidence to suggest he isn't. Just listen to his voice.

Edited by Rogue Agent, 24 July 2005 - 09:20 PM.

#85 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

I would have enjoyed seeing Clive in the role, but it was never meant to be. The producers probably considered him early on, but they must have decided he had too much star power. If hired, he'd demand a steep salary and demand unfeasible terms (e.g. a lengthy break between each film to pursue other work). After dealing with Brosnan, I bet EON is looking for a minor actor who will agree to a modest contract. That way, they'll be able to make films more often, perhaps returning to the traditional biennial schedule, and they'll also have more creative control over the character.

#86 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Clive Owen lacks the charm of Bond, surely? If you hear his voice, study his mannerism, they're not like Bond, imo.

Besides, and no offence to the many pro-Owen fans here at CBn, Barbara and MG only had to watch KING ARTHUR, the one leading Hollywood role Owen has appeared in, to see his shortcomings.

View Post

Okay, but you could also say that Owen only had to watch THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH or DIE ANOTHER DAY to see that today's Bond films aren't exactly artistic triumphs with meaty, intelligent scripts for him to sink his ac-tor's teeth into.

Owen seems to be in demand from some of the most exciting directors in Hollywood (Spike Lee, Mike Nichols, Robert Rodriguez, etc.). Sure, Eon may have turned him down, but then I think it's just as likely that he turned them down (likelier, in fact).

#87 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

I don't think anyone turned anyone down. I don't think there was ever any contact at all. EON probably ruled Owen out from the start, and just never called him. Owen may or may not have been interested in the role, but he probably realized that it wasn't the right step for his career. He certainly wouldn't have requested the part. I doubt that anyone from EON ever spoke to any of Owen's people.

#88 Loeffelholz

Loeffelholz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:27 AM

I'm trying to be optimistic, here...

Having seen Henry Cavill's photo on another site (the name is still so unfamiliar I'm not sure if I'm getting it right!), I have to say, he looks like Bond might look at a very young age. If he has the acting chops to do it, and Eon is serious about doing 'Bond Begins,' he might actually be the way to go...IF he can play older than he looks in his current 'head shot.'

It should be noted at this point that, IMHO, Eon has not heretofore shown a proclivity toward such boldness---and when they have attempted such---they have been slapped down by the box office.

On the bright side: If CR is made with an ultra-young Bond, such as Cavill---and it tanks at the box office because, like OHMSS, it is a risky Fleming-faithful experiment---we, as faithful Bond fanatics, will hopefully (at least) have a one-off telling of a long-overdue Bond tale to enjoy...which will probably grow with the passing of time as OHMSS has. Then, Eon could get on with Owen, Butler, or whomever they decide, to pick up where the Brosnan cycle left off, and return to the tried-and-true, safer but somewhat less-exciting course of action.

On the brighter side: If CR is made as indicated above---and it is a smash hit---we have a Bond whom we can watch mature within the role for as many films as Cavill can stomach, and conceivably redefine 007 for the foreseeable future.

See, I told you. Optimistic...

#89 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:43 AM

I'll be even more optimistic--I think this "final four" list is clearly at best faulty.

#90 ColierRannd

ColierRannd

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:46 AM

I know for a fact the new Bond is gonna disappoint the majority of Bond fans initially because, like comic book fans and sci-fi fans, Bond fans almost always are negative right off the bat.

Col