Posted 01 November 2001 - 09:42 AM

No, that's US dollars.

#32 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2001 - 09:31 AM

I assume that you are talking AUD$ (I'm used to dealing with US$ up here). To me that's quite reasonable, but for only 264 songs a year, that's less than a song per day! Hardly worth it.

Or am I getting all this wrong?

#33 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:55 AM

Sadly the non-profit is what we looked at. It's US$264 a year that lets us play around 20 songs (what I enquired for) but I believe under that fee we can play up to 264 songs. Something like $1 a song with a minimum of 264 songs.

#34 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:43 AM

Dave (01 Nov, 2001 08:14 a.m.):
There have been recent amendments to the copyright law regarding webcasting of sound recordings. These new provisions allow webcasting under the terms of a statutory license, as a way to help webcasters get permission without having to go to each sound recording's owner.

I would imagine that these licence fees would be cost prohibitive for CBN.:)

Surely there must be certain provisions for non-profit and non-professional (no offence) orgaisations like CBN to be able to broadcast songs and music other than our own.

#35 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:31 AM

Looks like it may have to be that way...

#36 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:26 AM

Perhaps just some Bond 20 news, and Renards fan mixes?

#37 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:14 AM

There's a few - such as www.shoutcast.com - however, that's not the problem. The music rights it the major problem. Any ideas?

Here's the gaf they give at Shoutcast:

Musical compositions and sound recordings are creative works that are protected by the copyright laws of the United States (title 17, U.S. Code) and other countries. Under U.S. law, the owner of a copyright has the exclusive right to (and to authorize others to) reproduce the work, use parts of the work in a new creation, distribute the work in whole or in part, and to publicly display or perform the work (including on web pages and through webcasting). With few exceptions, it is illegal to reproduce, distribute or broadcast a sound recording without the permission of the copyright owner. It is your responsibility to comply with the copyright laws when you become a webcaster.
There have been recent amendments to the copyright law regarding webcasting of sound recordings. These new provisions allow webcasting under the terms of a statutory license, as a way to help webcasters get permission without having to go to each sound recording's owner. The statutory license, however, has strict requirements that you must follow. Some of these requirements include the payment of license fees, limitations on the number of songs from the same album or artist that may be played in a three hour period (called the sound recording performance complement); a prohibition on publishing advance playlists; and a requirement to identify the song, artist and album on the website. There are other requirements as well. The Recording Industry Association of America provides quite a bit of information on copyright law as it applies to webcasting, and both ASCAP and BMI have created license agreements that they are willing to grant to webcasters that they believe conform to the provisions of the new copyright rules for webcasting.