64 replies to this topic

#31 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

I'm sure that is explained in the book- it must be. It is pretty common sense, anyway.

#32 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='25 June 2005 - 05:17'][quote name='DLibrasnow' date='24 June 2005 - 09:34']Here is the first of those emails (reprinted with permission):

Hi Darren--

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

WOW.  I feel honoured that Raymond Benson has visited my thread.

View Post

It is well-known that John Gardner regularly visits CBn so I suppose its not surprising that RB also visits CBn.

#34 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

[quote name='DLibrasnow' date='29 June 2005 - 20:02'][quote name='Gri007' date='24 June 2005 - 11:39']WOW.

#35 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:22 PM

eBay is a great place. Often copies of High Time To Kill (US editions) can be found for as low as $1-$2.

View Post

Thanks for the tip!

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

[quote name='Lazenby880' date='30 June 2005 - 07:14'][quote name='DLibrasnow' date='29 June 2005 - 20:02'][quote name='Gri007' date='24 June 2005 - 11:39']WOW.

#37 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:41 AM

Yes he did. I believe the staff member in question was zencat.

#38 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

I think the Union trilogy would make a great idea for the Bond franchise. They are cool organization. I really like Le Gerant

#39 Red Grant 15

Red Grant 15

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

That's a good idea Skin 17, but the trick is getting the idiot producers to listen to the fans.

#40 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

The tattoo on the retina and Le Gerant's cold nature would make great bondesque elements

#41 Red Grant 15

Red Grant 15

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

I think they should make the Facts of Death into a movie, because it has a great story.

#42 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

The Union would make worthy opponents for Bond especially in Doubleshot. The plan was genius use a copy cat to frame him for murders all the while instigating a war between Britain and Spain

#43 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:39 PM

To bad Zero Minus Ten was on the actual Dates of Britain's Hong Kong handover. However, they could make an after the fact version.

#44 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

One thing that Raymond Benson does really well is plotting. After getting the details on the HTTK plot from the writer himself I can see that he does take the time to really construct a solid plot with good structure.

That therefore should make the books a perfect model on which to base a movie.

But the problem with adapting the Bond continuation novels has always been the fact that EON does not see the need to pay the continuation author the rights for the books plot when they can come up with their own.

#45 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

To bad Zero Minus Ten was on the actual Dates of Britain's Hong Kong handover. However, they could make an after the fact version.

View Post

[mra]I think they could still make Zero Minus Ten with just minor adjustments to the plot. If you just shift it so that the attack is revenge for having handed over Hong Kong to the Chinese, most all of it would still be valid. The only thing you would need to do is find or concoct some excuse for the countdown aspect of the book, which

#46 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

I hope they do make Benson's books into movies. They are really great.

#47 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

I hope they do make Benson's books into movies. They are really great.

View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing his Union Trilogy made into films, but I don't think that the rest of them would make for all that entertaining of Bond films.

Having said that, the Union Trilogy would make for great Bond films, especially Doubleshot and Never Dream of Dying.

#48 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

[quote name='tdalton' date='27 July 2005 - 03:37']
[quote name='Skin 17' date='26 July 2005 - 18:28']I hope they do make Benson's books into movies. They are really great.

View Post

[/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing his Union Trilogy made into films, but I don't think that the rest of them would make for all that entertaining of Bond films.

I think that The Man with the Red Tattoo would make a great follow up to Never Dream of Dying after all Goro Yoshida was paying them to blow up Cannes

#49 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

The gardner and Benson books are written like the movies. Where as Flemings approach to writing Bond was diffrent. If you read Moonraker for example, it was hard for me to imagine it as film. :)

#50 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:45 PM

EON will never cough up the extra $$$'s for the movie rights when all they have to do now is commission original scripts.

#51 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

EON will never cough up the extra $$$'s for the movie rights when all they have to do now is commission original scripts.

View Post

Shame

#52 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

View Post

Shame

View Post

Agreed. But that has been the EON position for sometime now. The question was raised in the early 1980s about the John Gardner novels and that was Cubby's response.

#53 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

How much money would it cost to pay Benson for the rights? I doubt that it would be an outrageous amount. And BTW, does anyone know how much P&W are paid per movie?

#54 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:27 PM

How much money would it cost to pay Benson for the rights? I doubt that it would be an outrageous amount. And BTW, does anyone know how much P&W are paid per movie?

View Post

True....it probably wouldn't be that much...but they would still have to pay a screenwriter anyway to adapt the novel for the screen.

I would love to see some of the continuation novels made into movies, but EONs position on this has been clearly outlined in the last two decades that continuation novels have been a factor in the Bond universe.

#55 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:57 PM

Well I must say as I started to read this thread I was preparing to go into the finer points of why a helicopter or plane couldn't be used for the recovery, however it seems Mr. Benson handled that nicely. Truly awesome to see that at least someone is listening to us (even if he doesn't actually write Bond anymore it's still cool).

I wouldn't mind seeing the Union incorporated into new Bond movies. A new SPECTRE might be a nice form of continuity for the future. That said, I wouldn't like to see direct adaptations but rather elements from the stories (HTTK particularly). I guess what I mean is something fresh with a few hints of the familiar.

That, and I didn't care for the little twist at the end of NDOD so I'd leave that one out.

#56 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:23 PM

The twist at the end of NDOD really shocked me, but yeah, that wasn't a very wise choice. HTTK was good, and it would be great to see it on screen, but I think that the one location throughout the entire novel thing might need to be remedied somehow. However, DS and TFOD especially need to be turned into movies ASAP.

#57 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:15 AM

The twist at the end of NDOD really shocked me, but yeah, that wasn't a very wise choice. HTTK was good, and it would be great to see it on screen, but I think that the one location throughout the entire novel thing might need to be remedied somehow. However, DS and TFOD especially need to be turned into movies ASAP.

View Post

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ NEVER DREAM OF DYING

I think that they would have to retool the ending of NDOD if they were to make it into a film because Draco has been absent from the Bond universe for 30 or so years, which would mean that it wouldn't be as shocking to the average moviegoer as it would be to those of us who follow the Bond films closely.

#58 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:40 AM

View Post

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ NEVER DREAM OF DYING

I think that they would have to retool the ending of NDOD if they were to make it into a film because Draco has been absent from the Bond universe for 30 or so years, which would mean that it wouldn't be as shocking to the average moviegoer as it would be to those of us who follow the Bond films closely.

View Post

For "shocking" don't you mean implausible - I mean Draco suddenly goes "nasty" (yes, I know Fleming had him as a mafiosi but clearly indicates at the end of OHMSS that he is mellowing and seems to suggest there are certian crimes of the SPECTRE variety the Union Course doesn't get involved in - though the Union does!) after all this time and is particularly bitter that Bond has killed his SECOND wife and child. Surely, for Draco to be the complete psycho Benson has him become would have been more plausible in the IMMEDIATE aftermath of OHMSS with Bond having allowed Tracy to be killed having been sufficiently complacent not to have tracked Blofeld down and captured him BEFORE settling down to marriage. Draco going after Bond as a true sequel to OHMSS in the 60s would have worked: in NDOD its a ludicrous contrivance.

#59 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

Can people please use the spoiler tags provided on CBn that hide the text. I haven't read the novel NDOD yet, but now know the ending to the book because the above post was not concealed by a spoiler tag.

Spoiler should be hidden like so

/spoiler.gif
People need to highlight the text to read it
/gen_line.gif

#60 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

Doesn't EON own the charater rights of Bond. if so then surely EON can film the non fleming bond books any way.