599 replies to this topic

#181 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

Please tell me people don't wear tee shirts with computer gags on them!

#182 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

I came across this while getting caught-up on all my Mac news. MacMerc has a t-shirt commemorating Apple's introduction of the 8 core processors in the Mac Pro. It's a James Bond inspired reference to Octopussy. The front of the t-shirt has the saying "Octoprocessy" on it. This is geeky & corny but it I thought it looked great. It's faithful to the original Octopussy logo.

http://www.macmerc.c...ws/macmerc/3966

Oh, no way! That is great. I think this is a very interesting bit of Bond memorabilia. Wonder if they had to license the OP logo for that?

#183 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:18 PM

Zencat, I had the same question on the licensing. Just to be safe, if you want it, I guess buy it now before it's gone. To see a Bond reference like this where it was least expected was pretty cool. I did a doubletake when I first saw it.

#184 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

WWDC 07 keynote happening now...

http://www.macrumorslive.com/

#185 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

WWDC 07 keynote happening now...

http://www.macrumorslive.com/

Finally we'll find out what those top secret features in Leopard are...

#186 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Just finished watching the Keynote. The possibilities with Core Animation look promising. The Cover Flow view in the Finder with Quick Look seems to be the must have features for me. I've been using Path Finder for a while now & like it a lot but this might make me switch back to the Finder. I'm curious to see how Leopard runs on G4's. I like my 12" Powerbook too much to trade-up just yet.

#187 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

Looks like I'll be picking up a MacBook Pro for my college laptop.

Finally I don't have to deal with PC's and and keep my encounters with Windows to a minimum. What a glorious time it will be. :cooltongue:

#188 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

Looks like I'll be picking up a MacBook Pro for my college laptop.

Finally I don't have to deal with PC's and and keep my encounters with Windows to a minimum. What a glorious time it will be. :cooltongue:

Congrats :angry:

#189 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

Congrats, John! That's a great computer & you will love it. If this is your first Mac, feel free to ask questions to make your transition from Windows as smooth as possible.

#190 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:57 AM

I'm typing this on an iphone.

I love it!

#191 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:45 AM

John, you're lucky! Tell us about the iPhone! :cooltongue:

I just got a 15" Macbook Pro for college and I love it! :angry:

#192 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

I love it!

[mra]I

#193 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' post='752679' date='5 July 2007 - 08:47'][quote name='zencat' post='752623' date='4 July 2007 - 23:57']I'm typing this on an iphone.

I love it![/quote]

[mra]I

#194 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

I love it!

I’m going to have to call you now just so I can say ‘I talked on an iPhone.’

:cooltongue: It is an intriguing device. Congratulations John! I'd love to know what, if any issues you experience with the device. I've personally decided to hold off; but I do think a 2nd or 3rd generation version will be more temptation than I shall be able to resist (Sony, get your act in gear and come up with something really cool if you want to keep me as a mobile customer!).

Actually, it wasn't my iPhone, it was my dad's. I played with it all day yesterday and it IS insanely great! I was going to hold off...but after getting my hands on one, I don't know if I can. Just touch one, play with one...it is a technological work of art. I feel toward this phone the way I felt toward the original Mac computer. It's so straight-forward and user friendly and innovative in ways so obvious you just can't believe EVERY phone isn't like this. I don't really use my cell phone, I've never had or wanted a PDA...but I'm in love with this device. I'm calling my cell phone carrier today to see when my contract expires. There's no question I'll be getting one.

#195 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

Went to the Mac store yesterday w/the girlfriend. Managed to play with an iphone and spent an inordinate ammount of time toying with the google maps feature (yeah, we live in NYC, so WHY do we need auto directions from Times Square to our place in Spanish Harlem). The Mac store had to have been the most crowded spot in midtown Manhattan as all the other department stores had very little traffic.

While I like the iphone (holding it up next to my Treo, I knew the future had arrived), I'll wait until a 2nd Generation one will become available- especially if it can be unlocked for overseas use.

My girlfriend's going to purchase a powerbook and I'll plan to purchase my G5 by the start of the new year.

It's funny, I've managed to persuade my girlfriend to change from Nike to Adidas and from a PC to a Mac.

I must've appealed to her maternal instincts. :cooltongue:

#196 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

[quote name='zencat' post='752725' date='5 July 2007 - 09:12'][quote name='darkpath' post='752712' date='5 July 2007 - 08:35'][quote name='Mister Asterix' post='752679' date='5 July 2007 - 08:47'][quote name='zencat' post='752623' date='4 July 2007 - 23:57']I'm typing this on an iphone.

I love it![/quote]

[mra]I

#197 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

Got one. :cooltongue:

Congrats!

#198 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

Congrats!

Ditto from me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you have had a chance to really get to use it in the real world. Until then, enjoy!

#199 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:02 AM

Congrats!

Ditto from me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you have had a chance to really get to use it in the real world. Until then, enjoy!

Trouble is, I spend so little time out in the real world I don't get much of a chance to use it. But what I have used so far I love. I haven't turned on my laptop since I got this. It is my new laptop. :angry:

#200 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

We're going to have to re-order my laptop directly from the Georgia Tech bookstore and not Apple. They pushed my shipment date back from yesterday to August 1st. If they had pushed it back to next week I would not have cared, but I leave on August 13th and need more than a week to get used to an entirely new computer and operating system.

Not sure why Apple is so backed up with orders. They knew MBPs would be popular and knew there'd be a huge demand considering it's the prime back-to-school computer buying window. Fortunately Tech has "boatloads" in stock and will save the day.

Otherwise I'd be stuck with some piece of crap Dell Inspiron. :cooltongue:

#201 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

This marks my first post from my new MacBook Pro.

Super cool. :cooltongue:

#202 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

Got one. :angry:

Congrats!

Trouble is, I spend so little time out in the real world I don't get much of a chance to use it. But what I have used so far I love. I haven't turned on my laptop since I got this. It is my new laptop. :lol:

How's CBn looking on it? :cooltongue:

#203 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

Looks damn good. :angry:

I traveled to Michigan over the weekend so I really got a chance to road test the iPhone. It is great! I'm amazed at just how many of the features I use regularly, especially the maps feature. I'm already starting to wonder how I could have lived without it. :cooltongue:

Have you heard the rumors about new iMacs on Aug 7?

#204 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Looks damn good. :angry:

I traveled to Michigan over the weekend so I really got a chance to road test the iPhone. It is great! I'm amazed at just how many of the features I use regularly, especially the maps feature. I'm already starting to wonder how I could have lived without it. :cooltongue:

Have you heard the rumors about new iMacs on Aug 7?

How is typing on the iPhone?

I heard something about brushed metal ones? I'm tempted to sell my current iMac before the new ones launch, to try and get a better price for it.

#205 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

I'm getting the hang of the typing, but it is taking some time. When you're online, you can turn the phone sideways and the keyboard grows. In this mode typing is much easier. But this side mode doesn't work when doing emails or texting.

Yes, I've heard brushed metal and thinner iMacs. I've also heard there could be a new iLife on Aug 7.

#206 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I'm getting the hang of the typing, but it is taking some time. When you're online, you can turn the phone sideways and the keyboard grows. In this mode typing is much easier. But this side mode doesn't work when doing emails or texting.

Yes, I've heard brushed metal and thinner iMacs. I've also heard there could be a new iLife on Aug 7.

About time!

The one major thing that I think is missing from the iPhones, is iChat support. If you could do true instant messaging on the iPhone, it'd rock.

#207 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

It's starting to look like this Aug 7 date is more than just a rumor. :cooltongue:

Multiple sites are reporting that Apple has called the media to its Cupertino headquarters next Tuesday, August 7th at 10am PDT. The reports indicate that the event will be strictly Mac-related.

Rumors have been indicating that the iMac is set for a dramatic refresh on that date.

http://www.macrumors...ent-august-7th/

#208 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:50 AM

I heard a while back that iLife & iWork won't ship until Leopard because they have features that are tied into core animation. They will still work with Tiger & older versions of OS X but they won't take advantage of those core animation specific features. Although, I wouldn't mind a new iWork. I have some meetings in late August where I could put a newer version of Keynote to some good use. :cooltongue:

#209 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

Yeah, that's my fear, and it makes terrible sense that we won't see a new iLife until Leopard. But I'm still going to hope.

I think next Tuesday is going to be new iMacs and iPods. Can't wait to see the new iMacs. There's a very good chance I'll be getting one. Time for an upgrade.

#210 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:09 AM

I do hope you're right about new iPods. My old one died and I'm still holding out for a 6th generation model, whenever they should see light of day.