#571 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image
Steve Jobs was born out of wedlock, put up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college, then changed the world...forever.

What's your excuse?

Rest in Peace.

#572 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have a Mac (Macbook), and a PC (Desktop). I definitely like them both. In my opinion, Mac is superior in terms of doing everyday things, or semi big projects. Browsing the web, listening to music, etc, is just a breeze. I really love the attention and details that Mac gives, and seems to do everything perfectly. I really like Final Cut for smaller testing that I do with my camera sometimes, or photoshopping photos.

However, if I was a professional, Mac would definitely be out of the question. If I need power for real editing, graphic design, 3D design, then PC is your man. PC has never let me down in those regards, as opposed to Mac, which I was actually screaming at my laptop because I thought it wouldn't be so bad to do a major project in Final Cut Pro. Also, in terms of power-wise, you can get $2000 worth of processing speed, ram, etc in a PC as opposed to $10,000 in a Mac.

Both are good, depending on what you are looking at doing.

#573 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Just got my new rig in today :) 17 inch Macbook Pro - 512 gb ssd, antiglare, 16gb of ram - its kinda badass.

#574 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just got my new rig in today :) 17 inch Macbook Pro - 512 gb ssd, antiglare, 16gb of ram - its kinda badass.

Woah, that's a smokin' machine! Congrats!

I got an 11" MacBook Air last fall. It has a 256 gig SSD & I'm still amazed at how fast it is. A noticeable difference when you go back to a machine with a spinning drive.

#575 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Mhmm. I've been able to encode hd video and do CAD at the same time.... I'm quite astonished, especially since even computers of five years ago wouldn't be able to even think about touching this performance. I'm approving of your machine too. Currently, that's the one I use for my lighter work, and I love it.

#576 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

I went to my Disability Assesment today (For Uni, since they said I was entitled to some sort of funding with my autism etc), and I didn’t expect to be walking away with a free Macbook, a scanner/printer, and a digital audio recorder (for lectures) I’m so happy right now. It’s amazing! I haven’t got the mac and everything else yet, but I should be getting it by the end of the month. The woman (who had a framed photo of her and Jim Broadbent) was really nice and said that I have a high chance in getting it. Helll yeah!

I've been wanting a mac for absoloutely ages!

#577 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

My MacBook Pro is arriving in a few days! Wednesday I think. Excitement building!

Any advice for a newbie?

Edited by DamnCoffee, 03 September 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#578 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

Enjoy! Since I got a Mac last year I regret having worked with a crashing, driver-needy, problematic Windows-PC.

Everything will explain itself to you very easily. That´s the great thing about Macs. It´s user-friendly in the best way. (No, I´m not being paid by Apple for these comments.)

#579 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Brilliant! I've been watching various unboxing videos online. I just cannot contain my excitement!

#580 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

And if you have any other apple hardware you will be able to synch them very easily!

#581 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

I used to have a macbook pro and I had that for two years. Then my university requires you to get a laptop through tuition so I chose an HP laptop. I liked my macbook pro, it was really sleek but I hated how some programs didn't work on it because it was a mac. So I decided to switch back to a PC. I miss some things on the mac though.. :/ but this is a really nice computer and I have had no problems with it. So it has been okay.

#582 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

I used to have a macbook pro and I had that for two years. Then my university requires you to get a laptop through tuition so I chose an HP laptop. I liked my macbook pro, it was really sleek but I hated how some programs didn't work on it because it was a mac. So I decided to switch back to a PC. I miss some things on the mac though.. :/ but this is a really nice computer and I have had no problems with it. So it has been okay.

Have you looked into multi-booting?

#583 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

what's that?

#584 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

You can run a virtual Windows setup on your mac, via parallel desktops.

#585 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

ah not really. I like PC's better, apple pisses me off.

#586 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Really? For me it´s the other way round.

#587 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Well I don't mind the apple computers, but the way that apple designed the iPod is really annoying to me.

#588 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Have you looked into multi-booting?

what's that?

Multibooting is where you have your MacBook or MacBook Pro configured with the hard drive partitioned into two or more partitions that act as boot volumes for two or more operating systems. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my MacBook Pro is capable of running Mac OS X, Windows XP, or Windows 7 this way. Apple's software for setting this up is called BootCamp and it is included on the installation disc. Additionally, you may want to look into virtualisation if you need to be able to access two or more operating systems at the same time. This is how I work. I work for a multimedia firm where I do systems administration for both Mac and Windows systems. Additionally, I telecommute once a week and our company's phone system only has Windows-based proprietary software for phone emulation and redirection. I originally configured a secondary partition using BootCamp; but, I found that it was too limiting to have a dedicated partition, especially since I was using both operating systems simultaneously. I use Parallels for virtualisation and simply had Parallels make an image file that is much easier to work with.

#589 MajorBoothroyd

MajorBoothroyd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

I use a Mac. I wish it got a bigger scope of software like Windows. Great for general-purpose though.

#590 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Well I don't mind the apple computers, but the way that apple designed the iPod is really annoying to me.

Really? Well I guess I agree, I mean Microsoft's MP3 player is soooo much better. Oh wait....

#591 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

No the one thing that bugs me is I have a new laptop for college and if I plug my iPod in, it won't transfer any of my songs from CD's only my purchased songs. If I try and sync my iPod it will erase all my other songs from my CD's and just include my purchased songs.. (since before this I had my iPod hooked up to my mac computer..) so it really sucks. I can't believe apple wouldn't let you have an iPod belong to another computer and transfer all songs not just songs that were purchased from iTunes..

#592 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

No the one thing that bugs me is I have a new laptop for college and if I plug my iPod in, it won't transfer any of my songs from CD's only my purchased songs. If I try and sync my iPod it will erase all my other songs from my CD's and just include my purchased songs.. (since before this I had my iPod hooked up to my mac computer..) so it really sucks. I can't believe apple wouldn't let you have an iPod belong to another computer and transfer all songs not just songs that were purchased from iTunes..

That problem might not be due to Apple but to the way your other computer is set. Check the import function. Try to synchronize the iPod manually.

#593 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I don't know how to do that.. I thought if you just plugged it in, it would work.

#594 MajorBoothroyd

MajorBoothroyd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I don't know how to do that.. I thought if you just plugged it in, it would work.

Yeah, I like Apple but wow, they should've looked into that part.

#595 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yeah... it made me lose a lot of respect for apple.

#596 MajorBoothroyd

MajorBoothroyd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

Nobody's posted in about a year. Wow.

Is anyone else using Mavericks? I got it a while ago and I love it. It's much better than Snow Leopard, except Maps isn't exactly necessary in my opinion.

#597 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

Mavericks works very well for me!  And it was for free!  Something Microsoft would never do.

#598 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:54 AM

Nobody's posted in about a year. Wow.

Is anyone else using Mavericks? I got it a while ago and I love it. It's much better than Snow Leopard, except Maps isn't exactly necessary in my opinion.

Mavericks works very well for me!  And it was for free!  Something Microsoft would never do.

I find Mavericks works very well; but I still get graphic artists kicking and screaming about being upgraded to Mavericks. For myself, I have been using Developer Previews of Yosemite for over a month and am very pleased with how it really takes greater advantage of the reduced latency of solid state drives (I upgraded to an SSD in my 13" MacBookPro a couple of weeks before installing Yosemite so I can draw comparisons between the two on the same hardware).

#599 MajorBoothroyd

MajorBoothroyd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

Mavericks is awesome! Wish iBooks had an internal PDF viewer though.

Won't upgrade to Yosemite until I have to.

#600 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Just to say: Mac rules. These retina macbook pros are awesome.