599 replies to this topic

#541 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

I was very disappointed that Verizon got the iPhone. I only switched to ATT because they had the iPhone, and I went through 4 enV Touches. I'm now regretting the awesome coverage and customer service that I recieved with Verizon....

By switching to AT&T you have real international coverage and simultaneous voice and data, something Verizon can not provide by virtue of the inherent limitations of CDMA, the basis of their network.

#542 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Steve Jobs is taking another health-related leave of absence. :(

Get well soon, Mr. Jobs! Apple needs you. We need you.

#543 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

Are you sure it's not your computer that's the issue? I'm assuming you have a Windows PC and those are pieces of crap.

Yes it is a windows PC, I don't really understand anything about computers and the nonsencial jargon that goes with it all! That really does my head in!

For reasons that make no sense to me, Windows PCs are often fit with USB ports that are supposed to be 2.0 spec but often refuse to work as anything other than 1.1 ports. Usually, it's not all of the ports, so you can try to work around it; but it's a pain when it happens.

Thank you, I know when I plug it in it says "This device can perform faster on a 2.0 port". This makes sense to me now, thank you :)

Does anybody know if you can switch the battery percentage on, on the 4th generation ipod touch?

#544 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

For reasons that make no sense to me, Windows PCs are often fit with USB ports that are supposed to be 2.0 spec but often refuse to work as anything other than 1.1 ports. Usually, it's not all of the ports, so you can try to work around it; but it's a pain when it happens.

Thank you, I know when I plug it in it says "This device can perform faster on a 2.0 port". This makes sense to me now, thank you :)

Does anybody know if you can switch the battery percentage on, on the 4th generation ipod touch?

I'm glad that the USB issue is being clarified. I'll research the battery percentage question and post back soon as I have an answer.

Later: Settings>General>Battery Percentage (On/Off)

#545 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Later: Settings>General>Battery Percentage (On/Off)

To switch it on on my iphone I go to; Settings>General>usage.

But on my mum's ipod touch 4 'Usage' isn't listed under 'General'. So annoying but thank you anyway :)

I have been to my local Apple store today, and after (sort of) realising the difference between a wifi and 3G internet connection, I have decided to buy an ipad. Given I can get wifi at my home, and that I won't be using it outside my home (maybe except for holidaying) I don't need to get a rate plan. Hopefully getting one tomorrow :D

#546 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Got my iPad :D

God this is good :D

#547 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

Getting my MacBook Pro this week!!!! I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo exited. You don't even know.

#548 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

I'm still really exited.

Posted Image

#549 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

3 days till liftoff!!!

#550 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

I'm heartbroken over the new MacBooks. Prior to my mishap last August, I had intended to wait until these models were released; but I wasn't prepared to go without a functioning Mac from last August until now. I spoke with a colleague about how much I wish I had been able to wait and his response is that I should sell my existing MacBook Pro and buy the new model instead. My MacBook Pro is still under the original 1 year warranty.

What do you all think? How much do you think I could get for my MacBook Pro, to put against the purchase of the new model?

#551 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

Congrats! I've had my iPad since they were released & I still love it. I use it so much that my MacBook Pro was feeling neglected. ;)

3 days till liftoff!!!

Was liftoff successful? :)

I'm heartbroken over the new MacBooks. Prior to my mishap last August, I had intended to wait until these models were released; but I wasn't prepared to go without a functioning Mac from last August until now. I spoke with a colleague about how much I wish I had been able to wait and his response is that I should sell my existing MacBook Pro and buy the new model instead. My MacBook Pro is still under the original 1 year warranty.

What do you all think? How much do you think I could get for my MacBook Pro, to put against the purchase of the new model?

I feel your pain. I bought my current MacBook Pro a few months before the unibody versions were released. On the bright side, I do like the keyboard on the older models. For selling your model, check out Gazelle. They by all kinds of used electronics & have pretty good buyback values. This could at least give you a baseline. I think eBay or a private sale, like to college student, would be your better options to maximize your return.

#552 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

3 days till liftoff!!!

Yes it definitely was. I actually got a new release of the MacBook pro the day after it came out because i bought mine so close to the release date.

#553 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

3 days till liftoff!!!

Yes it definitely was. I actually got a new release of the MacBook pro the day after it came out because i bought mine so close to the release date.

Great news! You bought at the perfect time which is always a challenge when it comes to guessing when Apple will rev their computers.

#554 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

I've got to say that a few weeks ago I purchased the 11.6in MacBook Air and I am absolutely in love with this machine. I ended up selling my iMac as the Air is more than powerful enough to be my main computer and it has the portability of an iPad. Bumping up to the 128GB model is mandatory if you have any music/photos, but if all you use a computer for is internet, listening to music, etc., this is a fantastic machine. The instant on/off feature is amazing (makes it feel like an iPad) and the SSD makes it blazing fast with not that much RAM. I also have Airport Expresses hooked up to stereos around the house and can stream music everywhere. I am in Mac nirvana B)

#555 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:37 AM

3 days till liftoff!!!

Great news! You bought at the perfect time which is always a challenge when it comes to guessing when Apple will rev their computers.

yep, ironically the same think happened with my iPhone. I just have really good timing. Update - I've been hacking it like mad, and nothing looks stock on it anymore. it's all personalized.

#556 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

For those of you attempting toe set up an Intel-based Mac as a dual-boot using BootCamp (similar to how Evan Wilnow depicted Bond using in one of his fanfic pieces), I ran into an issue and have found a solution that I'd like to share with you.

Basically, the partitioning with BootCamp Assistant went flawlessly, as did the WindowsXP (I had it lying around, so I'm using this antique because it was paid for already) installation; but every single time I went to install BootCamp and the Apple-provided drivers, XP would crash with the infamous BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). I was finally able to find a solution on Apple's support forums. First, I made a copy of the folder from the Snow Leopard installation disc to my XP partition, then I removed the installers for any driver I wasn't absolutely certain were installing properly (apparently my MacBook Pro came with a SnowLeopard installation disc that has the wrong Intel chipset drivers on it and may have some other incorrect drivers as well). By only having known good driver installers in subfolders that the BootCamp installer was running from, it was able to complete successfully, so I can switch without having to resort to the Option key on start up.

#557 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Congrats! I've had my iPad since they were released & I still love it. I use it so much that my MacBook Pro was feeling neglected. ;)

Thank you PD.

It's just epic, I waste so much time on it though, but in a good way :)

Kind of irritating that the ipad 2 came out only a month after I've bought mine :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if there is going to be an iphone 5 coming out anytime soon, it's just I really want to upgrade my 3GS, but is there any point in waiting til a new iphone comes out or not? :confused:

:)

#558 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

Does anyone know if there is going to be an iphone 5 coming out anytime soon, it's just I really want to upgrade my 3GS, but is there any point in waiting til a new iphone comes out or not? :confused:

The typical release time for a new iPhone has been June. I would say that will hold true for this year too. The iPhone 5 will likely have the faster A5 processor like in the iPad 2. Some early rumors have it losing the glass back & going to an aluminum back so there will be a slight design change. I would wait on an upgrade at this point. Even if you don't go with the iPhone 5, you may be able to get a good deal on a discounted iPhone 4.

#559 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

The typical release time for a new iPhone has been June. I would say that will hold true for this year too. The iPhone 5 will likely have the faster A5 processor like in the iPad 2. Some early rumors have it losing the glass back & going to an aluminum back so there will be a slight design change. I would wait on an upgrade at this point. Even if you don't go with the iPhone 5, you may be able to get a good deal on a discounted iPhone 4.

Thanks PD, I think I will wait until the next one comes out, then I'll decide whether to upgrade to a 4 or 5.

Although I'll also have to take into account that upgrading to a 5 rather than a 4 will be considerably more expensive.

#560 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

I received an iPad 2 as a graduation gift so now I have:
  • MacBook Pro (2007)
  • iPod Shuffle (third generation)
  • iPod Touch (third generation)
  • Apple TV (second generation)
  • iPad 2
Who else is excited for the release of Mac OS 10.7 later this month?

#561 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:13 AM

Rumours say Lion will roar today. We'll see...

#562 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

Their third fiscal quarter conference call is July 19th. I doubt we see Lion or any new hardware before then. It just gives them a good reason to not answer any analyst questions on these products because they are still "unreleased." In the meantime, get that hard drive cloned & ready for the upgrade. :D

While I'm really looking forward to Lion, the thought of a new 11" MacBook Air with the rumored all important backlit keyboard is incredibly tempting. That may push me to finally get one.

#563 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

LION ROARS TOMORROW. 07.20.11. 8:30 AM EST.

#564 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Mac OS X Lion is here!

#565 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

Mac OS X Lion is here!

Here on my MacBook Pro :D

#566 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:01 AM

Finally received my "LifeProof" case for my iPhone4. Watertight to 2m depth and already put it through its paces. I recommend it well.

Posted Image

#567 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

The amount of things you can do on an ipad is just insane.

Last night I searched 'Animal photography' on Google images, and now I've found a perfect background for my homescreen.

:D

#568 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image

The amount of things you can do on an ipad is just insane.

Last night I searched 'Animal photography' on Google images, and now I've found a perfect background for my homescreen.

:D

Looks great! :D

#569 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

I finally switched from PC to MacBookPro and despite some problems getting an internet connection (which must be due to my extremely limited knowledge and some pretty unfriendly user info by my provider - also I switched from AOL to t-online)...

I LOVE MY MAC. I would never want to go back to a PC again.

#570 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

Thanks Righty :)

SecretAgentFan, the Mac Books are so much better than PC's, just wish I had one! :rolleyes:

Posted Image

I've got a beautiful shot for the Lock Screen now too. :D