This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CBn Reviews 'Dr. No'

104 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate 'Dr. No'

Rate 'Dr. No'

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

8/10

Great introduction to the series, but I prefer FRWL, Goldfinger and YOLT above this one. Something I really liked is the whole atmosphere in the movie, really amazing. Sean Connery makes a exellent debut, but he's not as great as in his later movies. Joseph Wiseman as Dr. No is great, I really love the dinner scene. The action isn't really much, some fights wich are very dated for today. But still it's amazing how Terence Young made this with only a 1 million dollar budget.

Overall it's very good Bond adventure with some great moments, really enjoying.

#32 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:53 AM

Great movie, and the one that started the phenomenon.

There are many things I enjoy about Dr No but I must say that I love the scenes on the island, where Bond has to use his wits and also protect Honey and Quarrel at the same time. Hiding in the river with just reeds to breathe through is as raw and improvised as Bond gets. No rebreathers here, or any other gadget to get him out of the situation. Plus the way he kills the guard wading in the water is pretty brutal too.

#33 001carus

001carus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Although I've seen it before, I just finished another viewing of Dr. No. I absolutely adore this movie and I was swept into Bond's world in my most recent viewing. The locations are just so spectacular - not necessarily because of the scope, but it simply breaths and drips with style and atmosphere.

I love Sean Connery as Bond. Connery keeps the quips to a minimum in Dr. No, and I think that's for the best. Sean is absolutely believable as the ever interesting James Bond. From the moment he says the famous line, I was hooked to the screen, feeling the world of the 60s come to life.

I was born in 1991, so I have missed out on a lot of years of Bond, and I'd be the first person to dismiss any 007 films made before Timothy Dalton - but I absolutely respect and love what Sean, George, and Roger have done with the role, and Connery really set the whole series up here in Dr. No.

It does move quite slowly - there's barely any action at all, and scenes can drag from time to time, but upon my second viewing, I found no issue with this at all, granted the scenes ooze of beauty and slick, 60s style. The scene between Bond and M is one of my favourites. I found the entire discussion completely interesting.

The first half is stronger than the second. While the first is set in the town, with Sean interacting with the different folk, walking and spying, investigating and interrogating, the latter is set on Crab Key Island - and while the lovely Honey Ryder is a very intriguing character, I didn't find this section AS appealing as the former. It's still a gripping segment, and of course, the first half would mean nothing without it's proceeding part.

Dr. No is a brilliant beginning to the Bond series, and with twenty one sequels, I'm not the only one who's picked up on this. This gorgeous and flavoursome film is a piece of cinematic history, filled to the brim with stylistic beauty that could only be James Bond.

#34 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

Nice review. I agree, Dr No is magnificent. Certainly among the very best in the series.

#35 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

I just can't sit through this film.The only time i enjoy this film is when Dr.No is on screen which is enough for me to give it a 7.

#36 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

I appreciate DR. NO more than I love it.

It has some of the best moments in the franchise, but I can't get over the fact that a large portion of its storyline is Bond doing some very uninteresting detective work, which bogs it down. And the score is appalling (by far the worst Bond score, ever).

But still, good stuff.

#37 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:01 AM

The score isn't that bad (heck, any score that introduces the James Bond Theme must have something going for it!), and I'd certainly take it over most of the recent Bond scores.

And the "uninteresting" detective work Bond goes in for (which in any case results in frequent babes, brawls and chases so it's not as though he just sits down and does paperwork for most of the movie) is, of course, very faithful to Fleming's 007.

DR. NO still remains, for me, one of the best films in the series. I'm sure it'll always be in my top five.

#38 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

The score isn't that bad (heck, any score that introduces the James Bond Theme must have something going for it!), and I'd certainly take it over most of the recent Bond scores.

The Bond theme's fantastic, naturally. But I really do think the rest of the score is that bad. One of the worst I've ever heard bad. It's completely and utterly unlistenable, and was as terrible in its time period as it is now. Thank god Monty Norman was dropped, 'cause otherwise I think most of the Bond films would be severely damaged for me (in fact, I'd probably like DR. NO considerably more with a different score).

And the "uninteresting" detective work Bond goes in for (which in any case results in frequent babes, brawls and chases so it's not as though he just sits down and does paperwork for most of the movie) is, of course, very faithful to Fleming's 007.

Ah, but Fleming's DR. NO is a much more tightly plotted thrill ride than the film is, which largely skips a great deal of that and gets Bond to Crab Key much, much quicker. The film gets rather unnecessarily talky in parts. Now, don't get me wrong, there's good bits in there, but rather than running at 110 minutes, it should have been closer to a lean, mean 90 minutes.

#39 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

a large portion of its storyline is Bond doing some very uninteresting detective work

That's the best stuff for me.

#40 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:00 AM

a large portion of its storyline is Bond doing some very uninteresting detective work

I like some of the moments along the way (the driver, Taro, and Strangways' death), but Bond looking up info about radioactive rocks doesn't exactly spell excitement to me.

#41 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:02 AM

Bond looking up info about radioactive rocks doesn't exactly spell excitement to me.

Suit yourself. There's other things than that anyway. I like any form of detective work in Bond, which is lacking in the first place.

#42 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

My biggest problem with the film is that the ending just isn't very satisfying. Possibly one of the least so in any Bond movie. The whole bit with the "dragon" is extremely lame (was it ever anything but?) and Honey Ryder ceases to serve a purpose once they're captured, but I could overlook that if the story didn't ramble to such an uninteresting finish.

Okay, so Bond proceeds to bark orders to some Chinese henchman (who comply), gets locked up in a cell that makes his confinement in Goldfinger look like... well, Fort Knox, and then he just waltzes into the control room and turns some dials. Roll credits. The only thing that I can stand to watch about the last stretch of Dr. No is the dinner scene.

That said, Connery gives his best performance as Bond, and one of the best overall, while Joseph Wiseman is very likely the most menacing enemy Bond faces in the entire series (well, until you see him wearing a bee suit, but even then he manages to be fairly imposing). IMO, only TMWTGG, LTK, and CR have a similar combo of excellent Bond and main villain.

#43 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:57 AM

gets locked up in a cell that makes his confinement in Goldfinger look like... well, Fort Knox, and then he just waltzes into the control room and turns some dials.

Julius does look mighty shoddy there. They should have kept the pain endurance obstacle course from the novel intact.

#44 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:23 AM

gets locked up in a cell that makes his confinement in Goldfinger look like... well, Fort Knox, and then he just waltzes into the control room and turns some dials.

Julius does look mighty shoddy there. They should have kept the pain endurance obstacle course from the novel intact.

I think this is more of a case of a Bond villain paying for his arrogance in the end, the way many do -- "You are nothing more than a stupid policeman whose luck has run out." I doubt No even thought about having to imprison a super agent in a cell and why he would have a cell in his lair to begin with is beyond me. Shouldn't the dragon tanks have been enough to scare off or kill unwanted visitors?

I don't know that having the pain obstacle course, especially back in 1962, would have improved things. Bond fighting a giant octopus was enough of a fantasy thing for Fleming, much less Eon having to come up with something that looked halfway believable on a budget of around $1 million.

#45 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:37 AM

and why he would have a cell in his lair to begin with is beyond me.

Well as you would know, in the novel, that's the starting block for his experiments in pain endurance. He catches people, makes them comfortable and healthy, then puts them through the ringer. A nasty past time.

Having Bond in the cell would have been a stroke of luck for No. A man of his calibre, a trained British agent, would post a good record, but surely would not make it to the end. No had good reason to be confident and have no fear of Bond in the novel, who did use other items to get through.

much less Eon having to come up with something that looked halfway believable on a budget of around $1 million.

Good point.

#46 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:20 AM

The cinematic Bond usually triumphs over the villain through intelligence, perseverance, or even luck. Here, he just... strolls in and does it. Granted, they had that little scrap at the end, but it didn't take away from the blandness of the climax.

Still, there have been far worse movie endings, and thanks mostly to its leads this nevertheless remains one of the better Bond films.

#47 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

IMO, only TMWTGG, LTK, and CR have a similar combo of excellent Bond and main villain.

Interesting observation. I think I agree.

#48 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

GoldenEye had Trevelyan and Xenia. Throw in Ouromov as well. That's a pretty good list.

#49 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

The cinematic Bond usually triumphs over the villain through intelligence, perseverance, or even luck. Here, he just... strolls in and does it. Granted, they had that little scrap at the end, but it didn't take away from the blandness of the climax.

Still, there have been far worse movie endings, and thanks mostly to its leads this nevertheless remains one of the better Bond films.

Agreed.

#50 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

GoldenEye had Trevelyan and Xenia. Throw in Ouromov as well. That's a pretty good list.

Well, I think Brosnan was the weak link there. I don't think he found his footing until TND and in GE Bean overshadowed him.

The only other possibilities I might concede are Goldfinger and Largo, but whether it was the dubbed voice, the lack of a tense final showdown, or the fact that they were often played for laughs, I think neither quite achieved parity with Bond (in terms of stature, gravitas, or whatever you want to call it) like the other four I mentioned did. I guess you could say it's an exclusive club of "Bond's equal" villains.

#51 001carus

001carus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

The only other possibilities I might concede are Goldfinger and Largo,

You didn't like the Lazenby/Blofeld combo? I thought it wasn't a bad showdown.

#52 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:53 AM

I liked it. But I didn't find Laz quite up to the level of early Connery, Dalton, or Craig. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his Bond, but while he had the physical prowess down pat, he just didn't have the "presence" of the other three. Probably would have with more time in the role. I give Moore credit for having it in TMWTGG in a way I don't think he had in his other films.

#53 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:01 AM

Eh... it was alright.

Lazenby isn't an outright great Bond, and Savalas isn't an outright great Blofeld. The dynamic between them was not anywhere near as intense as it could have been.

#54 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Bond looking up info about radioactive rocks doesn't exactly spell excitement to me.

Suit yourself. There's other things than that anyway. I like any form of detective work in Bond, which is lacking in the first place.

Sharpshooter, you and I have the same train of thought. I love the detective work and think it's been absent from the movies for too long. The dtective work and "talky" scenes is what will improve the Bond films and is the reason why Dr.No and FRWL are so awesome in my book. Bond interacting with all the characters, on a social and professional level is just so interesting because you as the viewer get to see and hear what Bond is surmising from all the info he's discovering and how what he takes from it all to come to certain conclusions. On top of all that, I love the bad guys (dent in particular) disguising his vilainy with chivilry and cordiol mannerisms, like wise with Bond, pretending to be oblivious to their dastardly deeds by behaing normally towards them, while we the audience know that Bond knows who are the bad guys, (The Ms Taro scenes are a perfect example of this).
Then, one of my favourite scenes is watching Bond driving his car to Ms Taro's house, before the guys in what looks like a bulky herse attack him. He just looks so cool with the wind blowing in his hair and his elbow resting on top of the side car door. That is Bond-cool.
AAAAAAAAnd the dinner scene with Bond and Dr.No. The entire conversation from the moment Dr.No steps in and tells Bond how much his HQ cost is beautiful exchanges of dialogue and all the while Bond looking rather relaxed and comfortable yet ready for action at any time. Terrance Young is an Effin masterful director and Ken Adam's sets are just awe-inspiring.

In short, they sure as hell don't make'em like they used to. Even though I was born in '85, I'm just glad I'm not one of those people who feel the need to dismiss the older material simply because it was before my time. If anything, I find the Brosnan movies the most unwatchable and the first 4 Bond flicks to be the overall best in the series.

#55 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

IMO, only TMWTGG, LTK, and CR have a similar combo of excellent Bond and main villain.

Interesting observation. I think I agree.

I think that I would agree with this as well. I do think, however, that in another month and a half (or however long it is until QoS is released) that we'll be adding that film to this list.

#56 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

The dtective work and "talky" scenes is what will improve the Bond films and is the reason why Dr.No and FRWL are so awesome in my book.

I have nothing against such scenes in concept (indeed, I do enjoy my Bond films to take a breath and relax a bit), but I don't think the scenes themselves are quite excellent. The detective work which he's doing is distinctly more dull when measured against some of the other detective work in the franchise, and there's plenty of extraneous, dull talk.

#57 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

I like all the discussion scenes in this film.

Dent looks suspicious from the beginning and you can almost feel him shaking nervously when he tells Bond that rocks coming from Crab Key are "not geologically possible".

#58 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:01 AM

Once the series began making money and you had more emphasis on gadgets, stunts and more excess, the detective work and talkiness went out the window. Although one of the scenes I really liked from the Brosnan era was his detective work in TND in breaking into Carver's Hamburg printing plant and recovering the encoder.

And I can't imagine Bond just sitting around with Strangways' card-playing buddies to interview them or the many times he sits down with Pleydell-Smith. I think a better scene instead of visiting Dent about the rocks, Bond should have broken into Dent's lab and left, having Dent see him leave and then setting up the tarantula scene.

#59 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Dent looks suspicious from the beginning and you can almost feel him shaking nervously when he tells Bond that rocks coming from Crab Key are "not geologically possible".

Agreed. I found most, if not all, of the dialogue scenes in Dr. No to be quite good, and they really make the film stand out from many of the other films in the franchise, and also make it one of the best films in the franchise.

#60 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

That's a great scene. Bond was visibly enjoying catching Dent in a lie. Connery's sinister grin said it all.