This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

TWINE is the best Bond film in some time, except for one scene...

37 replies to this topic

#31 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

BTW, the Z8 was supposed to have titanium armour and an engine block, yet the sawblades - which were intended for cutting branches off trees - went through it like warm butter. Instead of being concerned about how Q will react, Bond should heve been making a mental note to give the old guy merry hell when (if) he gets back to London (unless the defective Z8 was Q's idea of a practical joke/parting gift, intended to relieve R of having to deal with 007?).

But the whole sequence is alleviated, as others have mentioned, by Zukovsky's smirk (after losing his own car to the choppers).

#32 Ozzman313

Ozzman313

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

I've noticed that many Bonds seem to have an Oh, [censored]! I forgot we can't have a 2 1/2 hour film, wrap it up quickly! ending going on.

#33 robertcampbell

robertcampbell

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

I always maintain that the ski chase in "TWINE" was one of the weakest in the series along with the boat chase in "QOS".They served no purpose and was not involving.My problem with "TWINE" was the rapid-cut editing.The action was sort of sanitized as thou it was a Bond film made for kids.Case in point was the shooting of Elektra's bodyguard "KabuL''.The editor choose to cut to Elektra's sick smile than the sight of 007's bullets ripping through the man.The final confrontation with Renard was not satisfying.I was expecting a much more violent "mano a mano" for Renard had this supposed reputation of getting stronger everyday till the day he dies.The scuffle with 006 in "GLDNEYE" was one such example and it was a modern homage to the classic Connery/Shaw bout in "FRWL".Pierce seemed bored throughout the film(A opinion shared by the defunct "Premiere" magazine)and the result was a ho-hum Bond adventure.There were some great moments thou-my fave was when Pierce adjusted his tie underwater.
That is classic Bond.
Pity the rest of the film was not as memorable.

#34 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

I can't say I disagree with your opinions of TWINE. But the bodyguards name was Gabor.

#35 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

I could never quite see the point of the parahawk scene. I can understand why the film makers would want to use them. But the scene itself makes no sense once you realise that Elektra King is the film's true arch villain. Why would she intentionally put herself at risk just so that Bond might be killed - to borrow a line from Dr Evil! - in an "overly elaborate way"? Or was her reasoning as follows - "If Bond is killed, good, if not then here's the 'proof' that Renard is out to 'kill' me"?

I suppose that way Elektra gets something out of the incident. But it still seems a very risky way of pretending to be an assassination target. Still, "there's no point in living if......" etc, etc. :)

#36 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

TWINE is easily my favoirite of the Brosnan Bonds, and has very few flaws.

I completely disagree. TWINE is actually my least liked Brosnan film.

It has some fun action scenes (ski chase, boat chase, warehouse scene), but outside of them the plot just bores me. Denise Richards isn't a particularly strong lead Bond girl, I hate the "M gets kidnapped" angle, & the Q scene was too by-the-books..nothing noteworthy.

On a positive note, Sophie Marceau played a wonderful villain.

I've juat always been disappointed that they'd gotten rid of the Z-8 so quickly as thay had in Goldeneye. Why even bother with it at all? At least the 750 in TND had a an interesting chase with a little wit attached to it. As for the other 2 I'd just mentioned, it was as if the directors had said, "Oh yeah; put the cars somewhere in there. I think we made a promise to BMW or something."

Totally agree. The car scenes in TND and DAD are some of my favorite parts of those films.

#37 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:15 AM

You gotta love the ski scene in TWINE b/c it happens for NO REASON. Elektra easily could've shown him a picture of the pipeline--he should've suspected her of treachery the minute she suggested they ski like 200 miles across the slopes of Eastern Europe to see the connection of a pipe...but at least the chase is well choreographed and the music's good...I'm lamely listening to it right now. (Ice Bandits)

Well, she's the daughter of a wealthy family so why not have fun? But then again, she didn't protest Bond coming and allowed it, hence why the para hawks only go after 007.

#38 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

I kinda have to agree with you on this one, although the scene did deliver some of the best moments for me:

Zukovsky smirking when Bond's BMW is sawn in half

"Q's not going to like this" - just a shame that line was drowned out by the SFX

Bond shooting one guy through the floor, then popping up a hatch and knocking another over

"The insurance company is never going to believe this!"

But then, Zukovsky did have nearly all of the good lines in TWINE. One reason I'm glad they cut the scene of Bond checking his pulse and finding he was dead before chasing Elektra up Maiden's Tower. Bring him back!!! :-D

You mean like, "Chill-out, James."

Ditto. Great movie

Though all the films are "generally" the same, this one statnds out because we don't find out until the end who the actual villain is (think FYEO). I think it's a nice touch that it's the film in which the nemesis is a woman.