1182 replies to this topic

#1111 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

"Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval" suggests the rest of the Mary story is probably on the way.

I'm of two minds on this: yes, I want to know more of Mary's life pre-Watson... but I also don't want it to intrude upon new adventures and adaptations of Doyle stories.

I think we'll get more of her back story, but I also think...

Spoiler

#1112 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

"Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval" suggests the rest of the Mary story is probably on the way.

I'm of two minds on this: yes, I want to know more of Mary's life pre-Watson... but I also don't want it to intrude upon new adventures and adaptations of Doyle stories.

I think we'll get more of her back story, but I also think...
Spoiler

I approve of this line of thinking.

#1113 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

#1114 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

Looks interesting. But, then again, so does everything that Mckellen does. Guy´s a living legend, and probably a very good Holmes.

#1115 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

http://www.denofgeek...eauty-the-beast

#1116 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:44 AM

#1117 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

Wow!! :blink: :D :D :D B)

#1118 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

I just ordered the complete collection by Arthur Conan Doyle. Looking forward to digging into them! 

#1119 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

They're wonderful stories, ChickenStu.  I hope you enjoy them. 

By the way, I'd be interested to read your assessment of the pre-Reichenbach versus post-Reichenbach stories, a matter that has divided Sherlockians for decades.

#1120 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

Though a flurry of Holmes stories and novels are released every month, this one looks particularly interesting:

http://www.amazon.co...rt in the blood

Art in the Blood comes out Tuesday, Sept 15 in Canada, but a few weeks later in the US. The e-book version for Kobo appears to be available already.

As I've exhausted the original canon several times over since my youth, I'm always on the look-out for great post-Doyle stories. I've read dozens and dozens that are of varying quality but particularly enjoyed what Horowitz has done, as well as Lyndsay Faye's Holmes vs Jack the Ripper novel, Dust and Shadows. There are a number of good titles amongst Titan's "The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" series, written by numerous authors with wildly varying styles, but there are quite a few duds in there as well. I recently bought Simmons' The Fifth Heart, but have yet to read it. Any other recommendations out there?

#1121 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

By the way, I'd be interested to read your assessment of the pre-Reichenbach versus post-Reichenbach stories, a matter that has divided Sherlockians for decades.

Wouldn't know which was which at this stage Matey. Didn't Doyle only write four Holmes novels? And a slew of short stories? 

#1122 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

Hi, ChickenStu,

You've got a lot of wonderful fun ahead!  Yep, you're correct about the original novels and stories.  As you probably know, Doyle tired of writing Holmes and at one point thought he'd killed him off.  Of course, the public clamored for more, and Doyle finally resurrected him.  There are debates among Sherlockians about all manner of  topics, but one is whether the post-return stories match the quality of the earlier ones.  One fairly well-known comment was to the effect of, "Holmes may have returned after falling into the Reichenbach, but he was never the same fellow after that." 

I've enjoyed your thoughts on the literary Bond, which set me wondering as to whether, as you read along in Holmes, you'll start having some thoughts along the same lines as these critics, or whether you'll find all the stories pretty much of uniform quality.  For the record, I have my favorites, but overall I enjoy them all.

#1123 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hi, ChickenStu,

You've got a lot of wonderful fun ahead!  Yep, you're correct about the original novels and stories.  As you probably know, Doyle tired of writing Holmes and at one point thought he'd killed him off.  Of course, the public clamored for more, and Doyle finally resurrected him.  There are debates among Sherlockians about all manner of  topics, but one is whether the post-return stories match the quality of the earlier ones.  One fairly well-known comment was to the effect of, "Holmes may have returned after falling into the Reichenbach, but he was never the same fellow after that." 

I've enjoyed your thoughts on the literary Bond, which set me wondering as to whether, as you read along in Holmes, you'll start having some thoughts along the same lines as these critics, or whether you'll find all the stories pretty much of uniform quality.  For the record, I have my favorites, but overall I enjoy them all.

Sent you a PM

#1124 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

Got it!  Thanks.

#1125 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

Surprised no one has posted this, yet: brand new trailer for the Sherlock Xmas Special...

#1126 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

Can´t...stop...watching...that...trailer...

It´s just too awesome.

"Nothing made me... I made me"

#1127 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:53 PM

No idea how I missed this - I'd even been looking for the most recent footage!

Really interesting to see how this turns out. Seems to be a fairly straight traditional adaptation, albeit featuring Cumberbatch and Freeman. Keen to see if the humour we're familiar with from the modern series trickles down into it.

#1128 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

Benedict Cumberbatch, CBE:

cumber2_3496653b.jpg

http://www.telegraph...ham-Palace.html

#1129 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

So, who's ready for THE ABOMINABLE BRIDE?

#1130 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

The game's afoot!!

#1131 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hope it won't be too long until this airs in Germany...

#1132 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Anyone else give it a watch yet? I loved it, even though I'm still a bit fuzzy on one or two things. I certainly don't think it's the mess some critics have tried to make it out to be. In all, it's an hour and a half of beautifully written, dynamic, and challenging storytelling, layered with some wonderful touches of fan service and an undercurrent of tragedy. Can't wait for series four!

#1133 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

I enjoyed it very much and was incredibly surprised by what happened - it certainly wasn't what I expected. I don't want to say anything that may spoil the story, so will only agree that, as expected, the writing and acting were top notch. I do wish the initial concept and mystery had been the full basis for the episode, as I was enjoying it immensely, though I wasn't disappointed in the end.

#1134 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

Hated it. The first hour was visually murky and turgid. Then that twist...

Clive Owen as Victorian James Bond. I used to think that Owen would have made a good Bond - at least around the time of "Croupier" - but he really is wooden. Or is it that the Victorian setting cramps Bond? (How do these spoiler tags work again?) No surprise that he and Andrew Scott throw in some nods to their Spectre scenes, tho' truth be told at least those jokes aren't as bad as they could have been. Nice the show gives gives EON and IFP a copyright shout out in the ending credits, though not sure how these multiple copyright concepts work. I mean, just what part of the episode does each party have copyright over?

But ultimately it comes down to all this: does CBn now need to have a "Clive Owen" sub-forum? (Unlikely, unless "Owen as Bond" becomes a regular. Barry Nelson and David Niven don't have sub-forums.) Anybody else think EON went along with this just to mess with those people who still maintain the Craig era precedes the Connery era? The usual suspects will say this episode proves the "code name theory".

Is Clive Owen expected to do more episodes?

So all in all, a poor first hour, and a lively & amusing final half hour that may help explain the season 3 cliffhanger.

#1135 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Off-the-wall fun, with some clever plot thrown in there. Looked great too. Would probably be too much for a newcomer to get their head around, but for those who pore over the canon and the nine previous episodes, there's loads of good stuff in there. Looking forward to a rewatch.

#1136 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

Off-the-wall fun, with some clever plot thrown in there. Looked great too. Would probably be too much for a newcomer to get their head around, but for those who pore over the canon and the nine previous episodes, there's loads of good stuff in there. Looking forward to a rewatch.

This.

I really loved the canon references.

#1137 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

Season 4 is almost upon us. BBC (UK) and PBS (US) will start airing Season 4 on January 1 2017 - 9pm US / 8.30pm UK

1 "The Six Thatchers" dir: Rachel Talalay scr: Mark Gatiss 1 January 2017
Why is someone destroying images of the late Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher? Is there a madman on the loose? The title is loosely based on the Doyle short story "The Adventure of the Six Napoleons".

2 "The Lying Detective" dir: Nick Hurran scr: Steven Moffat 8 January 2017
Based on the Doyle short story "The Adventure of the Dying Detective".

3 "The Final Problem" dir: Ben Caron scr: Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss  15 January 2017***
Based on the Doyle short story "The Final Problem".

*** Some PBS affiliates will air episode 3 at 7 pm instead of the usual 9 pm on January 15.

#1138 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thanks, really looking forward to these.

While Sherlock goes from strength to strength; i thought Abominable Bride was the best yet - witty without resorting to 'camp' and complex rather than complicated for the sake of complication.

The writing on Doctor Who has gradually gone to pot over the years and is virtually unwatchable now (a bitter pill with Capaldi being such perfect casting, yet served such utter trash in the scripts).

I'm guessing this is because Moffat interests have been wholeheartedly redirected towards Sherlock, it's scripts improving as WHO's have deteriorated.

So it's good news for both shows that Moffat's left WHO.

#1139 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:48 AM

Been looking forward to these for a long time. It feels like these will be the last episodes for a while, so fingers crossed they deliver.

#1140 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

In the finale I was hoping
Spoiler

Edited by stromberg, 03 January 2017 - 09:51 PM.
spoiler tags added