34 replies to this topic

#31 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:38 PM

Read it and decide for yourself, no better way to do it than making up your own mind. :)

#32 Zing!

Zing!

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:36 PM

I enjoyed John Gardner's novelization to the film "License To Kill," and felt it was one of the best movie tie-ins to the entire series. It helped, of course, that this Bond movie was like no other before it. I did get the impression, however, that Gardner felt that writing a novel based on another writer's screenplay was "beneath" him. I would have to go back and re-read the book as it's been several weeks since I finished it, but certain passages (like the notorious "Lightning Strikes Twice" chapter) and phrases lead me to believe that Gardner was lowering himself to something quite below his standard. He still delivered an exciting yarn, and it's head and shoulders above his next tie-in "Goldeneye." I would recommend it to all Bond fans who have not yet had the chance to read it.

Edited by Zing!, 19 November 2004 - 05:37 PM.

#33 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

LTK was alright, but the whole universe thing was just a mess.

It would have to take place in the book universe because Felix already had his leg and arm bitten by a shark. But there is no mention of the Wavekrest and Milton Krest from Hildebrand Rarity so one would then assume movie universe.... Maybe Gardner only counted the actual books and not the short stories...

My take... I think he was just really drunk that day...

#34 Goldencobra

Goldencobra

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:01 AM

To me the events of LTK happened in both the movie and book universe but when i read the book i imagine the man Fleming wrote about and not Dalton.
There are other Fleming references to prove this, after Bond finds Felix he immediately thinks back to the events of LALD and remembers Solitaire and the perfume she wore.

The GE and Benson novelisations can also fit easily in the Book universe, the only one that can't is Moonraker unless you believe in major Dejavu, same villain etc LOL.

#35 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:21 PM

I had the LTK novel. I bought it for 95 cents a few years back. Too bad I lost it though. :)