#31 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:48 AM

Spotted that too.

I'm actually talking about some concept art that I saw while at EA Studios, that had "Goldfinger vs Doctor No" printed on it. You can't see it in the video. Though I may try and recreate some of it.

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:50 AM

Qwerty, I'm actually talking about some concept art that I saw while at EA Studios, that had "Goldfinger vs Doctor No" printed on it. You can't see it in the video. Though I may try and recreate some of it.

Oh I know that. :)

I was referring to the bit in the article about that title rumor being true.

#33 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:52 AM

Ah, gotcha, Qwerty :)

IMO Pussy Galore...doesn't look a whole lot like Pussy Galore. :) The hairstyle seems different, as does the face slightly. Still a very striking pic.

And from what I've seen and heard, her outfits are going to be different that what she worn in the movie. I think she looks like herself, but a little... "updated" ...I guess would be the right word. :)

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:53 AM

And from what I've seen and heard, her outfits are going to be different that what she worn in the movie. I think she looks like herself, but a little... "updated" ...I guess would be the right word. :)

Very cool! I like the picture of her in the article here, so maybe she'll look even better.

This game just gets better each time with more news.

#35 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:57 AM

I'm mighty jealous, Athena! :)

[dark], We'll get you into something... sometime :)

,18 August 2004 - 20:47] Glad they dropped it, then.  Rogue Agent is so much cooler.

I'm 100% in agreement :)

#36 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:58 AM

[dark], We'll get you into something... sometime :)

*sits, sulking in the corner*

Aww... nothing ever happens in Australia. :) :)

#37 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:59 AM

Aww... nothing ever happens in Australia. :) :)

Who says you'll be in Australia? :)

#38 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:01 AM

*hoists self out of rut*

Salient point!

#39 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

On Rogue Agent's appearance - Joaquin Phoenix?

Cool, generic Bond too. I wonder who/what they based him on. Fleming? An actor? He certainly looks the part.

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:37 PM

I was under the impression that Ken Adam had retired...yet there he is, back in the world of Bond, working away with EA. If Ken is still going strong (and he is! - check out the pic of that new Auric Enterprises he designed for this game - nice!), why hasn't Eon hired him back for Bond? Okay, I know they have a very good working relationship with Peter Lamont...but when Peter couldn

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='19 August 2004 - 10:37'] Okay, I know they have a very good working relationship with Peter Lamont...but when Peter couldn

#42 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:07 PM

Cool, generic Bond too. I wonder who/what they based him on. Fleming? An actor? He certainly looks the part.

He look a little old to me. And maybe I'm delusional, but for some odd reason he reminds me of Joe Conley. :)

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:14 PM

I think the Bond kind of looked like Brosnan.

#44 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:01 PM

This game just looks better and better. Interesting to finally see the reason they couldn't use Bond with this one.

Not surprising that EON got offended by the original GE and has been looking over EA's shoulder ever since. :) I remember reading an interview with one of the Nightfire design team that mentioned that they are forbidden to allow "good" characters fight against "evil" characters in multiplayer.

Anyway, I would have argued zencat's statement that EA gets it 2 years ago, but now I'll have to agree. EA started getting it when they got rid of Eurocom after Nightfire and transferred development of Everything or Nothing to their in-house team.

#45 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

This game just looks better and better. Interesting to finally see the reason they couldn't use Bond with this one.

I was surprised at how much Danjaq/Eon is actually involved in the games and making sure the characters "live" up to the BOND standards.

#46 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:36 PM

This game just looks better and better.  Interesting to finally see the reason they couldn't use Bond with this one.

I was surprised at how much Danjaq/Eon is actually involved in the games and making sure the characters "live" up to the BOND standards.

It makes sense. They're a very controlling company. Surely they do not want another shooting fest that Goldeneye 64 was, as the article points out.

I have no problems with games like GoldenEye 64 or EoN, no matter how different or similar they are.

#47 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:18 PM

Replying to the second article, Jumping off a building and falling is fun! You're like "Whoa!" :) And imagine if you survived! :)

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:25 PM

You would die.

Not fun.

#49 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:33 PM

Replying to the second article, Jumping off a building and falling is fun! You're like "Whoa!" :) And imagine if you survived! :)

But surviving never happens :)

#50 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:36 PM

But surviving never happens :)

Running is fun.

Jumping is fun.

Falling...I guess can be fun

Smashing into the ground after flying off a building...well if you call that fun...

#51 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

It pissed me off when I fall and smash to the ground in games. It's like... "ARH! Just one more pixel and I would have landed on that damn building!" ...or something to that effect. :)

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

It pissed me off when I fall and smash to the ground in games. It's like... "ARH! Just one more pixel and I would have landed on that damn building!" ...or something to that effect. :)

You say "one more pixel!"

I'll utter a curse. :)

#53 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:48 PM

You say "one more pixel!"

I'll utter a curse. :)

LOL... well not exactly...
I may be thinking

#54 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

Don't you realise?! The Bond movies are all about danger! What's so dangerous when you can't fall off a building?! And besides, without jumping, everything is linear!

#55 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:42 PM

[quote name='PaulZ108' date='19 August 2004 - 11:01'] Not surprising that EON got offended by the original GE and has been looking over EA's shoulder ever since.

#56 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:00 PM

Man, Nightfire was so Bond. And GoldenEye 64 will never be beat. Both promised hours of Bond-related fun.

I'm beginning to miss the good ol' days! :)

Edited by 00-FAN008, 19 August 2004 - 11:01 PM.

#57 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:00 AM

And besides, without jumping, everything is linear!

Actually... that's not true :)

#58 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:26 AM

While I understand Eon's point about Bond's character in GoldenEye 64...I do think it's telling that had they known what was in the game they would have never allowed it, and thus the greatest first person shooter would have gone to some other title (or film franchise) and ol' 007 would be stuck in tepid video game adaptations of the most recent tepid film. And I really think the game GoldenEye brought in as many young fans to 007 as the film GoldenEye. But this HUGELY profitable (and one growth area) part of the Bond franchise, not to mention the thing that captured a whole generation of young gamers and made 007 "cool" in the video world, would never have happened had Eon had any input. Scary. Makes you wonder what else Eon is saying "no" to.

Actually, this was one part of the article that grabbed me because I never knew it.

Is it really true that Eon weren't content with "GoldenEye 007" in that it wasn't Bondian enough? Sure, Bond slays - literally - endless amounts of soldiers, but I'd argue that a certain amount of stealth is required throughout the game, particularly levels like Facility and Bunker, where you're infiltrating a building. I do admire that Eon has accepted the gaming franchise is a big thing now, and is assisting in guiding the series. If they didn't want "GoldenEye 2" with Bond, then making it with a Bond villain is a bright idea.

I'm here because of "GoldenEye 007", and I freely admit it. Of course, my fandom now extends far beyond the gaming incarnation of 007. But to me, "GoldenEye 007" is the Goldfinger of the gaming series. It'll probably always be the best, no matter how many imitations and variations on the theme follow.

#59 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:58 AM

And besides, without jumping, everything is linear!

Actually... that's not true :)

Well, you gotta admit that most of the time things are linear! What would a game like Half-Life be if it weren't for jumping?

Lets say you were on a balcony overlooking Fort Knox, and some guy shoots you with a rocket launcher. Are you going to stand and take the impact? Or are you going to leap over the guard rail and escape with only minor injuries from the fall?

What I mean by linear is that if you can't jump onto nearby ledges or ladders or over pits or whatever, you basically have to follow a constant path through the level, and basically just "run and gun" your way out. For some people, like myself, a picky gamer, it tends to get repetitive, no matter what little extra pieces of the game may come along. Look at Half-Life Opposing Force; one of the most fun parts about it is jumping onto a nearby cable and using actual gravity physics to use your jumping momentum to swing away from aliens. My real problem is that there really is no reason to omit jumping from the game, because unlike Rainbow Six, which is tactical shooting, GE:RA is a "run-and-gun" shooter. Even if somebody thought it was a wasted form of movement, they could've at least done something creative with it, like H-L OpFor.

#60 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:05 AM

[quote name='Athena007' date='19 August 2004 - 16:48'] I may be thinking